Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Just Installed iOS 11, Couple of Cool Things.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jpjr50, Sep 13, 2017.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    Just made it through Hurricane Irma, most have seen my videos.

I got my internet back, low and behold yesterday was the Apple iOS 11 download pop up. Noice!!!

Finally some good news after a week of ****.

Don't expect a HUGE difference over 10.3.3 but some noticeable cool features have been added.

Here are few useful features.

*Screen Shots - they don't just save to your photos right away, they reduce in size and now you're able to edit before saving. They give you highlighter, pencil, erasers so you can write, erase, edit what you want.

*Screen Recording - if you want to show someone on your iPhone simply swipe up and launch the control panel. You will see a record button, hit and now everything you do will be in a video. Send your video afterwards.

*Control Panel - Swipe up and now you have an interactive Control Panel meaning you can add / remove items (through the Settings). Can turn up / down notification volume, screen brightness, etc. They did good on this one. No more two pages that had the music player either which was a waste in my opinion.

*My Files - Don't get too excited, if you're coming from Android where you can access the entire phone you'll be disappointed. The only files I can see are iCloud, Android Drive (if you have it installed), mostly just pics / videos. They got this one locked down. Damn you iTunes!!!!

*Lock Screen - Visually the number layout has changed, just a tad.

*Double Tap Home Button - To get to those open programs, this features has visually changed just a tad.

*Settings - If you guys are crazy about Storage and have to deal with unwanted apps you can't delete they changed this finally. In Settings / General there is an "iPhone Storage" section that will show you accurate space of programs used. You can finally "Offload" apps you don't want on your phone to clear up space. As for Documents & Data you'll still have to delete the app then reinstall in order to clear. Dumbest thing ever!!!!

*Visual - the look of some icons have changed like the Calculator, wahoo...that was bugging me!

*Battery - So far it seems to a tad better, normally I'd be in the 60% range at this hour but I'm at 70%.

A few other features.

*Texting - there is now more icons added to the text bar. You can attach live meme's (don't think that was new), they added more meme's though.
    Here are the icons added: App Store, Camera, Meme's, Music and recently used apps. Not sure what all this does honestly.

*Don't Disturb While Driving - First time you drive with the new iOS11 your phone will alert you with this app. This is to crack down on text and driving. Once setup every time your in the car you won't be able to text.

*Icons at the bottom - the Phone, Contacts, Safari and Messages...they removed the font...don't say what those folders are. Have no idea why.

*App & iTunes - major layout overhaul, it's awful! I like the old layout, these big tiles mean lots of scrolling and scrolling and scrolling....ugh.

*Apps - you may find that some apps will run different. This could not be new but if your in Instagram and tap for sound all the posts will play when you scroll down. They just automaticlly launch sound. I wasn't used to this, I would manually tap the post if I wanted to hear it. I was at work and couldn't shut my phone up, you've been warned.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Omar and johnnymg like this.

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Is this the GM beta release?

I'm downloading it now..................... o_O

The screen recording sounds really useful.

Edit update: OK, I got 11 installed. First reaction is I'm miffed they "cleaned up" the landscape keyboard and removed some keyboard functionality. :thumbd: I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate this "improvement". :whistling:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

3. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    No, this isn't beta...official version. The beta version was awful honestly.

4. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I had to sign up to the beta site to get it. The public release will be next week.

5. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    This is definitely the beta version. They have not released 11.0 yet

6. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Sept 19th is the official release date for 11

7. glorman72

glorman72 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    The version that came out this week is the Gold master, which will be the public release unless some major bug is found before then.

johnnymg likes this.

8. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    The Beta Testers get the release first, it’s the official release of iOS 11. I had the beta version and it was pretty bad, sent my requests in.

Pic of my “About” page in settings.

https://flic.kr/p/Yrf6wh

This final release version is bug free so far, I haven’t run across anything unusual yet. The beta version was so bad I eventually went back to 10.3.3.

The picture I posted, I used screenshot editor....cool option.

9. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Cool. Can't wait till it's released...

10. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    If I'm thinking about the same thing I don't think that's new. I've certainly got rid of Tips, Home, Stocks, Health and Watch apps from my phone which is on 10.something.

11. GitBox Newbie

GitBox Newbie Strat-Talk Member

Dec 18, 2014
    NYC
    What keyboard functionality was lost? Whatever it is, is the loss on iPhone, iPad or both?

12. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I'm torn. I need to upgrade my iPhone and want the bigger screen. Not sure I'm going to like Face ID or the price of the X and the new 8 Plus doesn't excite me.

13. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    Close....you deleted these off the phone with Offload they are in the cloud. I guess it could be the same now that I just wrote that.

14. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    I edited my original post and added a few more things I found.

15. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    I think this might be to align it with OSX, they are not named on the Dock there.

Thanks for an informative post.

16. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    You're right, with the change in size of the iPhone X the layout changed on a few things including the home screen. It's subtle but noticeable. Like I mentioned the lock screen, I've read that this was changed due to the iPhone X size / layout.

Just plugged my phone into my MacBook Pro and it recognized iOS11. It launched an iTunes update and it's because of iOS11.

17. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The landscape and portrait keyboards are now the same. The landscape keyboard used to have basic stuff like backspace and periods.backspace is gone and punctuation is on an alternate keyboard. Really lame “update”

I hate it. They F’d up the most important app. :mad:

18. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    Just received some phone calls while watching Youtube on my Macbook Pro. The phone calls are much smoother, no delay's, the onscreen UI of the phone controls is much more fluid now.
    My experience has been that it's been choppy but that could have been just me.

So my iPhone BlueTooth to the MacBook Pro, my headphones were in the MacBook Pro...phone rings in my ears...the UI pops on the Mac screen I can click to answer and the audio quality is great.