Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Just ordered a new peavey valve king mh

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by flynnstone, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Congrats on a great sounding amp!
    You made the right choice. It has great cleans and great driven tones.
    Now it is time to have some fun \m/ - enjoy.

Life is good,
    Robin

2. flynnstone

flynnstone Strat-O-Master

Oct 28, 2013
    wisconsin
    It really is and does .Super Happy with my purchase. The 5 watt setting in the house is just perfect thru my 412. I'm sure the 20 watt setting will be plenty when I go jam with friends and a drummer. Should be a great work horse of a amp.

3. north east al

north east al Strat-Talk Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Hartlepool, England
    Congrats. Had mine a year and still can't get a peavey foot switch in UK. My new Laney one works with it though. Mines up for sale, but played it last night and not worried if I don't get any takers. The Master Volume is very useful for home use.

4. dacop

dacop Strat-Talker

Aug 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have the VK 50watt combo and LOVE it. Beautiful cleans and ragging gain. I chose the amp over both the Marshall DSL 40 and the Blackstar 50watt combo. The Peavey VK amp can do everything, I am sure you will like it.

5. flynnstone

Oct 28, 2013
    wisconsin
    Glad to hear that. I almost went with a blackstar. But this just seemed like a better amp with more options. And I really like the tone .

6. flynnstone

Oct 28, 2013
    wisconsin
    My face after having this for the week. Super happy recommend this amp to anyone looking for a killer tube amp .

Attached Files:

sam_in_cali likes this.

7. flynnstone

Oct 28, 2013
    wisconsin
    Already had a tube go bad . Hopefully that's all that happened. This does not impress me . I haven't even played all that much . Gonna contact peavey. I guess a set of good tubes isn't the worst thing . I have to find out though if I need to have it biased afterwards.

8. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm gasing for a Classic 20 Mini, which I believe is this head's brother or cousin. In any case, its kin.

Mainly I like the tweed look better than the look of this. And probably has the tweed tone of the classic series of Peavey amps.

9. flynnstone

Oct 28, 2013
    wisconsin
    Contacted peavey. It was biased a lil hot from the factory apparently. I really do love this amp . Hope that's all it is.

10. north east al

north east al Strat-Talk Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Hartlepool, England
    Just bad luck. Had mine over a year and both power tube lights have stayed green throughout. Original valves still in. JJs in power section.

11. flynnstone

Oct 28, 2013
    wisconsin
    It only happens after it gets really warmed up and if I'm driving the amp hard with pedals . The Peavey tech said that it is bias just a lil to hot and to back it off and should be good to. I just have to get a small plastic screw driver set so I can back it off a lil . The tech said there was no reason to take it in .

12. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    I have the peavey classic 20mh,and its flippin awesome! I tried the 6505,was good but too metally for me. I imagine the vk is right between and best of both

13. flynnstone

Oct 28, 2013
    wisconsin
    Update. I adjusted the bias as the peavey tech I talked to said to do . My issue has gone away. Can't recommend this amp enough. And all I did was call peavey and got to talk to a tech . Super happy with my purchase. So anyone looking for something to go from bedroom to a small club gig . You need to at least check these out. \m/

johnnymg and Paperback Rocker like this.

14. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    How about an update on that nice Peavey amp. :)

I'm digging for more comparison vids of the Classic 20 MH and the ValveKing MH.

cheers
    John

15. flynnstone

Oct 28, 2013
    wisconsin
    I'm still very happy. I've only been using the 5 watt mainly. And have only played it thru my 4x12 . I have actually been considering getting a classic as well . I want a tweed covered amp .

johnnymg likes this.

16. Duff1

Duff1 Strat-Talker

Personal preference. A lot of dudes just don't need or can't have 50 tube watts; significant other, etc.

I have a very nice Delta Blues 15". Good luck with your 50's.

17. johnnyha

johnnyha Senior Stratmaster

Dec 31, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I just got the VK's cousin Peavey Classic 20 MH a week ago, this amp absolutely ROCKS WITH TONE. Can't get a bad sound out of it really. I played it in the shop for awhile and could not stop, bought it right there for $480. Killer amp, very versatile. I got a custom aluminum 4 button footswitch for mine from Switchdoctor which just takes it to another level. The plastic Peavey footswitch it came with was just okay, it worked, but kinda flimsy and you couldn't get the channel BOOST, switch lead/rhythm channels, AND get reverb at the same time...

IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    johnnymg likes this.

18. Duff1

Duff1 Strat-Talker

Very nice rig. It looks versatile and just the right size.

How do you bias it?

Definitely looks superior to those gigantic rigs, at least for the stay at home player.

19. Duff1

Duff1 Strat-Talker

Yeah, why don't you like them BorisB? You made the comment and we would like to hear what you don't like about them, the facts, not just grabbing something out of thin air. Data. Useful information for us less informed.

We can use any useful info you have - more than a one sentence negative comment after saying you have two big Custom 50s or something like that.

The main idea here is the new mini head. Maybe a comparison or something would help out instead of just an unqualified negative comment. Know what we mean?
    We want to hear what you have to contribute. Not just rain on someone else's party.

20. johnnyha

johnnyha Senior Stratmaster

Dec 31, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well I just got it so I'm assuming it was biased to the suggested 24 whatchamacallits at the factory with the stock JJ tubes. However I would like to change out the JJs at some point so I just got one of these bias plugs, should be here in a few days, you hook it up to a multimeter and stick it in the socket and stick your tube in the top - and it also reads plate voltage. There is a bias adjustment hole top of the chassis by the power tubes you can adjust it with a little flathead screwdriver.

33.jpg

Look here at this video 12:00 shows the bias adjustment...