Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Just When You Thought It Was Safe...Hurricane Nate.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Working Man, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Working Man

Working Man Senior Stratmaster

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    I'm getting a little sick of this. To quote @Stormy Monday , I hate hurricanes.

at201716.gif

Yaralag and abnormaltoy like this.

2. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Hopefully it will stay weak, and move fast. That's about the best to hope for at this time. Stay safe brother.

3. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    After so many years with so few hurricanes, this has been a rough year. I agree with @Bodean hopefully this will limp in and out with no damage.

Get out your stilts.

Yellowdawg, Yaralag, Keith268 and 2 others like this.

4. Working Man

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    If it's a big rain event, that would be a problem. The last I heard they still don't have the pumps working in the city, in which case flooding is inevitable.
    I'm in half a mind just to drive over to my work site in Florida. At least then I won't be sitting in a soup bowl.:mad:

Yaralag, abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.

5. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Fa-ra-ra-ra-raaa, ra ra ra raa! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    yea, I hate hurricanes. We had a bunch of rain from Irma and its been raining for about two weeks from a tropical wave in the Florida Straits. Going to the barn requires navigating through ankle deep water that has been enhanced with horse poop. The water and especially the sewage systems here has been really struggling since Irma. We were in Kissimmee last week. Still a lot of blue tarp abodes there. My daughter is still waiting for a tree to be removed and the fence fixed. We have large dead branches in the oak trees that come down on their own timing. One broke part of the fence last weekend. Yea, hurricanes are kinda like STD....they keep on giving....

6. Working Man

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    I'll be putting the amps and guitars up high, thats always the top priority;)

7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

Why don't they? How long have they been out?

I don't mind hurricanes, I've gone through a couple (but, never beach front)...I don't mess with Cat 4 or 5. I just worry for an old friend who is a lineman in Morgan City.

Yaralag and Working Man like this.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Man this sucks. Looks like it's headed right for New Orleans.

Yaralag, Working Man and abnormaltoy like this.

9. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    you should know tomorrow evening about where this thing will hit and a pretty good guess at intensity.
    I have gone through a few living beach side and ocean front. It is interesting how there is a 18 in layer of blown sand. The whole thing is pretty impressive.

10. Working Man

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    Why don't they? That's a good question. The New Orleans Sewer and Water Board are responsible and their reputation is lower than whale sperm. Totally incompetent.
    We had one heavy rain storm early in the season, and whole neighborhoods flooded. That's when they came out with the excuse that the pumps were off line due to maintenance.
    In the middle of hurricane season. Go figure.....:mad:

Yaralag, abnormaltoy and vlxerdon like this.

11. Working Man

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    I was in Destin for Katrina, and even though that was 300 miles away from the centre of the storm, the force of the surge was mind blowing!

abnormaltoy, Yaralag and vlxerdon like this.

12. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    it is amusing that nothing was learned from Katrina. Sometimes these government function have the head so far up an orifice they can see daylight

13. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Florida learned a lot from Andrew. Irma was a pain but a week later most things were back up and running. Florida has already activated Emergency Management and declared disaster for some counties that might be impacted by Nate.

abnormaltoy and Working Man like this.

14. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    What's the deal with these things always showing up for the weekend?

abnormaltoy likes this.

15. Working Man

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    Like I mentioned, I'm working there currently, and I'm impressed with the efficiency of most of the local government. The utilities people are excellent!

abnormaltoy and Stormy Monday like this.

16. Working Man

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    I guess even mother nature agrees that Mondays suck enough as is.

abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.

17. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Hurricane Union.....

abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.

18. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    well hurricane watches are up for LA, MS and AL.

abnormaltoy and Working Man like this.

19. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    They are already forecasting 3 inches of rain here on Monday.

20. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    Have ex-inlaws that live there, it's a mess. The system is old and undersized I know pre-Katrina some of the pumps were so old that they had to have parts made or buy refurbished stuff because parts aren't available. I don't know if they switched things out or not (doubt it).

They've focused more on levies as well, than upgraded sewer and power because it's cheaper and I'd assume way faster. Then there has been talk of mismanaged funds and such but New Orleans has a high cost of maintenance due to the fact a lot of it is historic and they keep it looking the same (work has to be done by hand and by more of a craftsman type than just a worker). It also adds in that many things to repair have to be custom made to keep the antique look. Kinda like a reliced Strat costs more than its normal counterpart, lol.

Truth is, it's really hard to explain the whole situation without coming of political and I'm not going there. A lot of the state is like Detroit City basically. It's factories (chemical, oil, gas) and had too many lax laws on pollution for too long. A lot of the population is under or unemployed, so state revenue isn't that high compared to what it pays out.

Of course, like in any state, area, or country; there are good parts and bad parts. In the end it takes a lot of cash to TRY to beat/fight nature.

Working Man and abnormaltoy like this.