Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Katana 50 Amp noisy with effects turned up?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Numbercruncher, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I have mostly used my Katana with the Amp type setting set to clean and all the effects off. In so doing, there is minimal noise coming from the amplifier. I have noticed that if I start to utilize the effects and add distortion (gain), booster and relay white playing with the amp set to Crunch or Lead I start to hear a lot of static type of noise out of the amplifier while that guitar is plugged in but no strings are being played. I know my amp is okay as I went to GC and another floor unit sounded the same way.

While I don't like hearing that much static, it may be normal for all amps in this price range. And if it is, there is no reason to consider trading it for different amp. Now when I have these effects turned up the volume is so loud when I play that it easily overcomes the static so maybe this is just how it is when using the fx like I have been fooling around with and it falls under the category of normal.

OTOH, maybe a more expensive amp will allow me to have the same type of gain/effects/amp setting but be substantially quieter. Also, this is with a Deluxe Strat with the noiseless single coil pickups so it isn't a 60z hum. I can get that hum if I hold the guitar real close to the amp or other cables. My other Strat, the standard model with the classic pickups gets me a 60z hum all the time and since it is normal I don't really worry about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NC

2. johnthomas

johnthomas Strat-Talk Member

Sep 13, 2016
    San Diego, California
    Sounds totally normal to me. The primary thing with fx is to try to keep the hiss lower than the audience noise during "live" shows so they do not hear it.
    The amp is actually a good quality unit. (My rhythm guitarist had a Katana 100 2x12 and his amp sounded fine using fx on crunch or clean.
    Many amps have more hiss regardless of price. Since you mention that other Katana amps behave identically, I can say this is just a case of be under experienced with fx usage. Keep on experimenting with the fx levels and also be open to trying external pedals whenever you get the opportunity. Perhaps uou could add an external "noisegate" type of pedal and run it in the fx loop? I am not sure if Boss included a noisegate pedal in Katana built ins?

Numbercruncher likes this.

3. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The noise-gate is accessible via the Tone Studio app and can dial out most FX noise.

4. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I figured all was normal. I play most days 2-3 hours and normally just set to a clean low sound for practice purposes. I'll play around with FX and the like as my skill progresses.

NC

5. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    Had a great newbie moment today.

Since hitting practice 2-3 hours a day the last few weeks I decided to follow a youtube video for Bryan Adams song, "It's Only Love," off of his Reckless release from 1984. So I had my amp cranked up and not only did I get the hiss but an incredible 60z hum as well. Well this is my Standard Stratocaster HSS model without the noiseless pickups and so I expect some 60z sound from the amplifier. Well I also noticed that my iPad and Sony SRS SBX20 bluetooth speaker were not charging even thought they were plugged into a cheap, drug-store sourced dual USB charger. I decided to unplug the dual USB charger from the power strip and plug it back in to see if the devices would begin to charge again.

Bingo! The 60z hum disappeared and all I had left was the hiss from the amplifier. I would not have guessed just having the USB charger connected to the power strip would get the amp to hum like it did. I am sure the more experienced people here know to NOT have all manner of devices connected but if anyone else here is like me, I thought I would pass it along.

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether a better quality USB charger will eliminate the 60hz hum? I may just buy one from Best Buy and see if it performs better as I can always return it.

Anyway, my great sense of relief at being able to eliminate this problem easily overrode the sense of awkwardness I felt for not noticing this problem two weeks ago.

NC

MetalPedal, Thrup'ny Bit and johnnymg like this.

6. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    I'm always aware what else is plugged into the circuit my amp is using. I had an AHA moment last week. I bought a 72 RI Thinline Tele and was playing it through my newly acquired Katana 50 and man was it noisy! None of my other 4 guitars were. I scratched my head....opened it up looking for bad wiring....reseated the bridge on the ground lead....still had the noise through the Katana. I keep another amp by the workbench so I don't have to lug guitars I'm working on back and forth. I plugged into that one and no noise! WTF I'm thinking, so I go grab the Katana to bring over to the workbench and notice the ground lug on the power cable is missing! Doh! Got another power cord and voila! Noise gone.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

My laptop power supply does the same thing, as does the Roland mains adapter for my Micro Cube, the OneSpot replacement is fine.