Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

KEELEY Oxblood : the end of my klone quest ?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by usul1978, Nov 16, 2017.

1. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Hello !

I had a lot of klones and even a KTR in the past months. I love the clean boost in them but I always felt a little disappointed with the OD part of the spectrum. Don't misunderstand, I really like good klone's OD but it's very limited in range.

I ordered in that spirit a Keely Oxblood, not a klone but doing a nice clean boost and mids pushing à la klone. It sounds really sweet to me (on videos) and I don't care if it's a bit different from the boost from a klon, I just want something doing that nicely like a klon would do.

But the OD part sounds very powerful and diversified, so in a will of simplfying my pedalboard, that could be the trick for boost and medium OD all in one.

Anyone has experience with it ?

Does @59jackstrat could comment on the Germanium version of it (see his avatar picture) ?

2. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    I only own two "Klone" pedals. The Soul Food and the Wampler Tumnus. Personally, I find the OD comes across as a bit harsh the further you turn the knob. Makes me wonder what all the hype is about.

Right now the Soul Food sits on a shelf and the Tumnus works in conjunction with my Timmy. The Timmy being more of a clean always on boost and the Tumnus being an added slightly dirty midrange boost. Both get stacked with the next OD pedal in line (was the Plimsoul, but I am now experimenting with my OD pedals. Right now it's my BE-OD with almost all the gain turned down, including the internal trim pot.)

Edit: By-the-way. HNPD when your Oxblood gets here.

Stark and usul1978 like this.

3. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    The hype is clearly not about the OD, but about the boost (as discussed somwhere else BTW). But the KTR has a nice flavoured OD nonetheless, just very limited. The oxblood seems very versatile OD-wise, on the contrary.

Raiders757 likes this.

4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    You may very well know this already but just to point out in case others are curious, the original klon pedal, and most other klones, really aren't overdrive pedals nor were they designed to be. A Klon pedal shines by pushing an already overdriven amp over the edge as it were. It injects those overdriven mid frequencies that sound thick and pleasant to the ear.

Using a Klon or any klone-like pedal strictly for od will likely prove disappointing as they don't produce much overdrive, at least not the kind most of us are accustomed to.

Now, the Oxblood really is a different story, as you already indicated. It doesn't follow the mold of the original Klon circuit. Robert Keeley has even mentioned this. He wanted something that could similarly do what a Klon does but with more versatility in the overdrive department. The Oxblood has more overdrive available than most other Klon-like pedals I'm familiar with.

I've tried many klon klones and have a few. I've tried the Oxblood as well but ultimately passed. Not that I thought it was bad, it's certainly not. I just prefer a klone to be as close to the original as possible. I get my overdrive through various other methods.

The Strat Dude and usul1978 like this.

5. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I get that ! The point for me is downsizing my pedalboard and using "several tricks poneys" ; )

Can I ask what is your favorite klone ?

6. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Congrats, hope it’s a great pedal

usul1978 likes this.

7. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Sure. For me, the best I've tried is the RYRA Klone. Extremely close to an original Klon. But I don't have one

I purchased the Wampler Tumnus before having a chance to try the RYRA. The Tumnus sounds really good too though. The Tumnus has more low end available than an original Klon or RYRA. It can really fatten your sound up, especially with single coils. I just can't justify getting a RYRA right now with having the Tumnus. I'm not gonna complain though. It's a great pedal

Raiders757, usul1978 and Willie D like this.

8. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Damn, the RYRA was my last stop. I still have it and I'm about to send it back...

I thought it would be IT but was very disappointed. I may had a lemon though : when pushing the gain, the sound got more and more trebly/harsh, giving the need to put the treble pot at 0...a Klone should get darker when pushed, right @Murphcaster ?

I didn't want to change it as the shipping fees are on me because I bought in the UK, but maybe I should try...

9. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Hmmm. That sounds very odd. A RYRA shouldn't get harsher when turning up the gain. Should be the complete opposite. Pete Thorn recently did a demo of the RYRA and he even talks about having to turn up the treble control on the RYRA when turning the gain up. Check his demo out if you haven't already. Around the 5:48 mark he goes into how the top end starts to "close off" as he turns the gain up.

Now he does turn the treble up on the pedal to 'compensate' for the more gain. You'll notice he's playing the bridge pickup when doing this. I wouldn't play with a tone like this with those settings cause a single coil bridge is already bright. I think he just does this to demonstrate how the pedal reacts to tone shaping.

usul1978 likes this.

10. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Actually, I saw that video before !

It really doesn't behave like that with mine... But doesn't sound clearly broken either. Weird.

11. 59jackstrat

59jackstrat Strat-Talk Member

May 18, 2013
    Utah
    I have both Oxblood pedal varieties. Great choice!

usul1978 likes this.

12. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    What is the difference ? The mids bump ?

13. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    You had asked about a favorite Klon clone (not me, but I'm butting in anyway...LOL). I'm a total devotee, fan-boy, whatever you'd like to call it, of the JRAD Archer. At the time I bought it, there were 2 or 3 direct 'shoot-outs' between it and actual Klons- too close for me to call! And at $1300-1700$ cheaper than an original..I'm happy!

Having said all that, I've never owned a 'real' Klon. I remember thinking when they first came out "WOW- expensive little mother's..." and I still think "WOW!!! Expensive little..." Wish I'd have had the forethought to buy a half dozen at the time...

I too found the need for a distortion pedal. So I kept the Archer and added a Fulltone Plimsoul. Two distortions in one- symetrical and asymetrical distortion in one pedal. I love it!

Best wishes in your town quest!

Brian

Nate D likes this.

14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Thorn is using a humbucker-equipped Suhr in that video. You might be hearing the difference between humbuckers and single coils. Do you have a humbucker equipped guitar you can test?

usul1978 likes this.

15. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Had a Soul Food then, I got the Archer Ikonn, loved that thing, however about a year or so ago I got the Wampler Tumnus and can't say enough good things about it. I dont know about this Keeley product but there is now a Tumnus Deluxe.

usul1978 likes this.

16. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Pretty much my scenario too. Started with the Soul Food, didn't like it. After that I went on a thorough klone hunt. Ended up with the Tumnus and have been singing its praises. One of my favorite pedals. Now Brian {Wampler} just had to go and create a deluxe version of the Tumnus with more tonal options. Of course I had to buy one lol

Dick Blackmore and usul1978 like this.

17. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I have a KTR as an always on pedal and stack a Keely 1962x behind it and that is amazing. I’ve been interested in the Oxblood for some time. I’m looking forward to the review.

Edit: ok. I want one now. :(

usul1978 likes this.

18. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I gotta tell you, if I weren't "OD / Gain" pedal heavy right now, I'd be all over a Tumnus...

Does this ever end? There was a time, not long ago, when I had zero pedals...

Brian

Dick Blackmore and usul1978 like this.

19. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Nope, there is no end and you are stuck here
    1511238241649.jpg
    With the rest of us.

20. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Thank you for your answers. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the vortex !

I sent back the RYRA, I will never know if it was a lemon. I didn't try with HB but that would explain the "wrong" behaviour...and my new pedalboard option make me want a pedal wich is a klone and more. Not just a klone.

So I have to check the tumnus deluxe ! I didn't know about it.

The oxblood is on its way...

Dick Blackmore likes this.