Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Kenny Wayne Shepherd strat opinions?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ledvedder, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I've been on the lookout for a decent sub-$1000 strat. I've been looking at many models (Classic Player 50/60, JV, etc). I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are about the KWS model? I see it has 12" radius, Graph-Tech saddles, "custom" voiced pickups. There aren't any local to me to check out, so I'm hoping you guys can share your experiences/knowledge of this model.

Thanks!

2. The-Kid

The-Kid Senior Stratmaster

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Its got a christian cross on it and looks kind of lame IMO.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world

Thanks for that in depth balanced review chap. :)

4. The-Kid

The-Kid Senior Stratmaster

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Also evertime I hear his name I want to say Kanye West Shepard.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I always wonder how somebody I've never heard of gets a signature Strat, but it doesn't tell @ledvedder anything he wants to know.

Fendereedo likes this.

6. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    I have both the CP 50 and CP 60 and of the 2 I play the CP 60 more than the CP 50.
    The CP 60 has a 12" radius and is very comfortable, it also has the '69 pick ups and they sound good. I have not played the KWS strat so I cannot comment on it.
    If I had to buy one of them it would be the light blue CP 60. It is pretty versatile and it plays well.

7. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I've heard of him since 1995 when his debut album was released.

8. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Strat-O-Master

Aug 1, 2013
    in the basement
    He is one of a million SRV imitations that sprouted up in the mid 90's. He had a hit or two back then but he has mostly been known to his dedicated fans.

9. Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2016
    CANADA
    my kws strat has a 12" fingerboard radius, jumbo frets, Graph Tech bridge saddles, the signature is on the back of the headstock, custom-voiced pickups with reverse wound/reverse polarity middle pickup, a racing stripe on black version and a cross on arctic white. great guitar neck is a bit big for my style of playing but it gets a fair amount of play time Ive got the Black one. I prefer the 9.5 radius if I am playing for long periods of time .great guitar IMO :thumb:

10. ledvedder

ledvedder Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2015
    NJ
    I love the look of the light blue CP60 with the rosewood neck, but at the price they're going for, it just seems too much to me for a Mexican strat. I haven't found one for under $700.

11. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    I liked the cross, too bad they are discontinued. They were a cool, different addition to the line.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, that was a classy-looking Strat. I'd have liked to get one, but finances weren't in place.

13. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    I thought so too until I bought it and played on it for a while. They have a pretty good fan base and you don't really need to modify it. I think it's a good buy.

14. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    This old fart knows nothing of the KWS Strat, but 90's SRV clone or not, the boy sure can play in my humble opinion. Damn right he can.. :thumb: