Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Korean Squier 2 Strat w humbucker rewire

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by powderpigskeeper, Jun 12, 2018.

1. powderpigskeeper

powderpigskeeper New Member!

Jun 12, 2018
    Oakland Coliseum
    62AE407A-C724-4239-AD13-581F55C4B51A.jpeg 05B40F46-CBAE-485F-B3BB-3947B287020B.jpeg I’m in desperate need of help I just tried to rewire my S9 89-90 Korean Strat sqiuer 2 and I don’t have tone adjustment but volume was working. It’s an SSH it’s in SSH and I was swapping out pots w a500k alphas for volume and 2 tones .73 cap on tone 1 and new switch. Switch position 1 also shutting off all pick ups.

This is the first time soldering and working on the electronics as a guitar someone please help me!!!! It was sounding pretty damn good even though the tonew werent adjusting. Played like 6 hours over 3 days. Next thing I know the volume spikes louder than it should be while I was playing then after about a minute cuts out completely until I turn the volume knob on the guitar all the way Max on but barely coming through on the amp amp and cable or checked on my les Paul.

I unplug moved a few wires about nothing came loose worked a minute and then volume drops out unless I turn guitar volume knob all the way max then little volume...

Please help!!!!

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    What diagram did you use? can you show us?

You have a LOT of hot wire exposed near the 5-way...way too much...that could be touching something and grounding out....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

3. jalmer79

jalmer79 Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2013
    IL
    I once found a youtube video of a guy completely wiring a 2 HB Les Paul type. I'd look for something like that as I get into trouble trying to follow schematics.

4. powderpigskeeper

Jun 12, 2018
    Oakland Coliseum
    Can you recommend another way to wire the switch?

5. powderpigskeeper

Jun 12, 2018
    Oakland Coliseum
    OK I Double checked all the wiring and solder joints on the pots and compared to my old set up and they matched. after watching some videos on YouTube I decided I had wired this new switch incorrectly.

So I’ve got my old switch back in there just like I had it before from my old pictures and both of my tones came back everything was going good then after a minute bam volume cuts out again!

Did I blow my new capacitor by wiring the switch bad in initial rewire!?!?

6. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    No, you have either cold solder joints I'd say or the 5-way has gone bad...do you have contact cleaner spray?

7. powderpigskeeper

Jun 12, 2018
    Oakland Coliseum
    Well I have the same problem with the new switch too And I replaced the pots. I know this old switch was working.

I am new to soldering so I’m not really exactly sure what cold solder joints are or the spray you suggest will do? but I do want to let you know that I was playing this sucker for about six hours with no problems Except for the tones not working because I hadn’t wired the new switch properly. Then all of a sudden Bam after minute volume cut out I swapped out the new switch for my old switch I’ve got both tones back but after a minute Bam for him cut out again .

What do you recommend I try because I’m pretty sure this thing is wired up exactly like the old setup now?!?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

8. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You should probably take it to an experienced tech if you have issues with soldering and can't identify cold joints etc

9. Bigdogdaddy

Bigdogdaddy Strat-Talker

Aug 8, 2018
    Kansas
    Electrician here. If the solder joint is shiny, it is probably a good solder joint. If it is dull (not shiny) it is probably a cold joint. When you solder them, do NOT move the wire until the joint has cooled. Blow on it for a few seconds. Don't get your pots and wire too hot though, you could ruin the pot and melt the insulation off of the wire.