Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

lace sensor golds vs vintage noiseless pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by mdred85, Nov 14, 2011.

1. mdred85

mdred85 Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2011
    I love the lace golds,just wondering if anyone could do a constructive comparison of these two pickup options.
  2. BHighkin

BHighkin Senior Stratmaster

Aug 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Vintage Noiseless pickups are stacked humbuckers, whereas lace sensors are true noiseless single coils. VNs are going to sound thicker in the midrange, and have more bottom end. The lace golds are going to sound more like classic strat pickups, but quiet. Not to say that they sound exactly classic, but they sound quintesentially stratty, sort of like a noiseless version of the AM std. pickups.
    Some complain that VNs sound too muddy, but that's just because they are probably being used with 250k pots which, especially for a pickup like the VNs, is going to cut down the high end output and make the mids and lows sound more prominent.
    Both are good pickups. The VNs are in the clapton strat if you want to hear them.
  3. Dave McDonald

Dave McDonald Strat-Talk Member

Jul 3, 2011
    I'd go with the Lace golds. I've got 3 Lace silvers in my strat, and so far they seem pretty good in all positions.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Right they sound normal w their own pots and by-pass cap that comes w a set. Its impossible to get either of these fine p/ups to sound exactly like a normal single, but both come close. The Noiseless does have that AlNiCo sparkle thats missing w the Lace.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. crapthatsloud

crapthatsloud Strat-O-Master

Apr 1, 2011
    West Palm Bch FL
    This is what I came in here to post....the second half, anyway.

It depends on the tone you want. The Clapton, in my experience, is a very "midrangey" guitar (even with the boost all the way down). Its easy to get a fat but articulate sound out of it, especially with the middle pickup. I like that. Also the VNs are DEAD silent. Its also easy to make them sound like a humbucker with the right overdrive and EQ settings, but they always keep that "strat" edge. In practice I rarely use the mid boost feature.
  7. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    I've had both and still use Lace Golds, but neither really sound like the Alnico V's in my Am Std. The Lace have extra body and a roundness that I like in comparison, whereas the VN set I had were lifeless and thin sounding, though I did wire them up with the pots and caps they came with.
  8. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

Jan 7, 2011
    Devon, UK
    Mind you, it's also dependant upon the age of the Clapton Strat you use - the pre-2000 (I think) models came stock with Gold Lace Sensors.

This has been my experience, too. I've not owned a VN-equipped guitar, but I have played a modern Clapton Sig side-by-side with my Lace Sensor and mid-boost modded MIM. The EC Strat just didn't sound as "full" as my MIM - and this was through the same amp, with the same settings. I've also played the older, Lace Sensor-equipped EC Sigs and much preferred the tone of those to the modern ones. But as with anything tone-related, "good" tone vs. "bad" tone is a very subjective and personal thing.
  9. The Shedder

The Shedder Senior Stratmaster

Apr 1, 2011
    So what is the ideal setup for the VN's?
    I installed a set in my Marvin Squier, and never got the tone I was hoping for. I used a 500k for vol, and 250k for tones. I didnt pot the bridge pup.
    I also used a .022uf cap and a treble bleed mod.

What is the best setup?
    I have no booster installed either!
  10. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Go to the Fender site and look up the wiring for the Clapton Strat or your local store if they have a set and will let you look at the instrucctions.There's a 1 meg for the tone I think and the volume pot is in parallel w a resistor that put it in the 300Ks. And there's a treble by pass cap for upper treble so it doesn't get attenuated.