Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Laser turntable for vinyl albums

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Jan 12, 2018.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I don't currently own any vinyl record albums, but a while ago I heard about these turntables that use a laser instead of a traditional stylus to play records:
    http://elpj.com/
    Seems like they would definitely have an advantage in not physically wearing down a record. I also wonder if the laser would avoid hissing and popping noises when playing a record (perhaps mainly for brand-new records that aren't worn at all). These laser record players are way too expensive for me to want to buy one though.. Last time I checked, I think they were around $8,000-$10,000.

circles and AndyFroncioni like this.

2. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Too rich for my blood but I still heard the static in the begining. But then again thats cool to hear on some of the older jazz records

4. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I suppose it could have been a record previously played in a traditional record player, worn down a bit, and the laser could be picking that up as static.

5. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

What they need to figure out is a way of encoding a plastic disc with information digitally,
    that the laser would read and (by use of fancy-schmancy algorithms) and be able to play
    back as music. That way the problems of wear and static would be eliminated , and the
    platters... (have to come up with a better name) ...would last much longer.

:)whistling:)

6. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member

7. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    This isn't Star Trek. Be realistic.

Love old Genesis. Mine has less static, though.

Monkeyboy likes this.

8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    I want one...
    Gonna sell the house, truck, some blood and sperm...

9. Monkeyboy

Yeah, the technology would just be obsolete in a few years anyway. What was I thinking ?:oops:

10. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Im gonna take that idea and run with it. There might be some old parts I can find at the local thrift store that I can repurpose.

CigBurn and Monkeyboy like this.

11. Monkeyboy

that's a smart idea. I've seen plastic platters here and there that might also be repurposed;
    coasters, bad wall art , bad mini-Frisbees . They're about the right size...

12. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    [​IMG]
    Well, for those who are into vinyl, this seemed interesting.

Monkeyboy likes this.

13. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    The only thing I miss about LPs is the artwork.

Curse their fragile nature,

Tone Guru and Monkeyboy like this.

14. Monkeyboy

Yeah, my collection met it's sad demise in a garbage heap decades ago.... right
    before they came out with digital scratch-removal software for trashed-out records :mad:

15. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI

16. christy

christy Senior Stratmaster

Not for me. I like the snap crackle and pop of the stylus

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

17. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You don't need high tech stuff to play vinyl, just quality engineering. Gimmicks have never really worked when it comes to playing vinyl. There's no point in attempting a high tech laser solution unless it can improve on the sound of a top quality deck like the Linn Sondek.

And I doubt if it can....

Elvie likes this.

18. CalicoSkies

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Still though, I'd think a traditional stylus would wear down the vinyl since it physically touches/scrapes the disc. A laser wouldn't do that.

19. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    I remember laser turntables from the '70s, they were phenomenally expensive. You would still get the same hiss, pops and crackle, but you wouldn't wear down the disk.

I'm afraid though that I view the supposed benefits of analogue music and vinyl as expensive snake oil, and the only use to me of something like this would be for an album that didn't have a well-mastered CD version.

20. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm with lonegroover here. People say MP3's compression ruins the music, but I have over 80 gigabytes of ripped CD's (320 mbs) on an external 500 gig drive, and its so much more convenient to have those files in a portable moveable format.

And as far as this laser player, my dad who has about 6 feet of jazz records (most in 78 RPM, some of them original 12" albums) has a criteria for a turntable. It must have an autoloading feature.