Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Learning Guitar From Scratch

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mansbestfriend, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Whether a formal "teacher" or not, I think almost everyone should agree with that. But for my friends who were much better than I in the days before the internet, I would have never been able to do it. And I thank them, and everyone who has ever stopped to help a learning player, for all they have done and continue to do !!

s5tuart, Biddlin and davidKOS like this.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    Learning Guitar From Scratch
    [​IMG]
    Class time and location: Midnight at the crossroads.

Ebidis, dogletnoir and davidKOS like this.

3. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Robert needed an agent. He got guitar chops, women, and eventually even fame in the deal, but he should have held out for more upfront money.

davidKOS and Biddlin like this.

4. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Professional teacher that will teach you your favorite songs. Practice as much as you can and don't give up for at least one year.

5. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    An agent isn't always the best bet.

Case in point, Hendrix died with a grand total of like $16.00 in his bank.

6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Im teaching my son to play. Its pretty much free lessons at will.

I think lessons are a great way to learn as long as your teacher is the right kind.

fezz parka likes this.

7. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Correction, an honest competent agent. Yeah, I know.

8. anderz

anderz Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2014
    Denmark
    Whatever feels right to you.

I taught myself and used my ears and learned from tab books + just playing to fit the music I want to play.

With that I don't sound like any other player and that is not something I planned but I like.

Your ears can guide you to what's sound right in any given playing situation and that trust should be developed by doing it yourself.

I can improvise and always feel comfortable + sounding like no other guitarist due to following my own inspiration for getting into playing electric guitar.

Only me can teach me to play what I desire to play.

Besides finding a teacher and paying for how to play thrash metal was not something I kind of thought was an option so just went my own way.

Hopefully your inspiration is strong enough to do it yourself so you do not sound like anyone else

9. Tcon

Tcon Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2016
    KCMO
    I took 2 lessons and I knew how to play a lot of songs and chords before that. The first theing he said is you used all down picking. I said the song I played IS all downpicking so I showed him another one. He then said I had some bad habits and we would have to start from scratch. I didnt like scratch. I am trying my best to work it out on my own and I have come a long way so far. Thanks to you tube, certain guys that is. Find them Steve stine , Marty Shwarts and guitar lessons 365 Carl. and stick with them. People will lead you astray. I cant afford lessons. But I know it is a journey that will take the rest of my life.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    51dA6CQtfxL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg great resource right here .

I gave my brother a Strat & amp for Christmas .

It came with this book :0)

11. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Sure. But people (teachers) who get what you want to do can guide you in ways that a one sided video lesson can't. A good teacher is a guide. Not a DI. :)

Textele, Tcon and davidKOS like this.

12. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    Yep - a good teacher will educate and inspire you. The rest is up to you.

Tcon and fezz parka like this.

13. Tcon

Tcon Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2016
    KCMO
    Thats it for sure. Teachers that get what you want. This guy called me 3 weeks later and wanted to give me lessons cheaper but I couldnt bond with him although he showed me the caged system and started on scales plus it was like 45 minutes from my house. my wife says If I dont make money doing it she dosnt see spending 100 plus a month just for a hobby. So you tube and books are my thing. Two years into it and I have recorded 14 songs and can fiqure out most everything I hear without too much difficulty so it is what it is..

14. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    You might want to check that figure out a little bit more.

Quote: Jimi Hendrix Net Worth: Jimi Hendrix was an American musician and songwriter who had a net worth equal to $5 million at the time of his death after adjusting for inflation.

Here: https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/jimi-hendrix-net-worth/

At the time of his death Hendrix was the highest paid music performer in the world.

From here: https://crazy4rock.com/i-love-rock-n-roll/jimi-hendrix-net-worth-died-astounding/

Just imagine how much he would have been worth at the time of his passing had he had a trustworthy Management Team around him.

Today his estate is worth an estimated $175 million dollars. :eek:

15. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Agreed, and I think right there with the importance as a guide, is being a great coach.

There are great instructors who have a knack for building you up while also teaching.

The ability to instill confidence in a pupil is paramount to their success.

Confidence and fearlessness, properly nurtured helps the learner stay on the highway as opposed to the back roads.

Provided the learner puts in the work.

There is no substitute or real short cuts for putting in the time.

The time you spend wood-shedding directly relates to the "sow and reap" principle.

JMHO :)

fezz parka likes this.