Join Strat-Talk Today

Legit strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by necredibile, Dec 22, 2018.

1. necredibile

necredibile New Member!

Ok so I recently bought a MIM strat forfreal cheap and it sounded pretty good, but I just knocked the selector switch and broke it. So I took it apart and I'm really vonconfu on what guitar I actually bought now. The neck is legit and I registered the serial number, but this routing doesn't seem normal and the selector switch is a some other brand. Also, I bought a replacement pick guard but one hole is missing on the body.

Please help.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. necredibile

necredibile New Member!

Also it's a 2008 according to the serial number

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately...you have bought a partscaster with a Fender Deluxe Series neck....and a cheap Squier body and pickups/electronics etc and body hardware from a Squier Affinity Strat......The neck is worth a good $150 or so used....but the loaded body is only like $50....so the guitar's only worth maybe $150-200 max as a whole....

can you return it??

4. necredibile

necredibile New Member!

We'll, I guess I got what I payed for. I payed about 250 bucks for it. Oh well, I guess I'll see what I can do with it.

dtchaulk likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Shame you didn't ask us before buying......chalk it up to a learning experience.....a full thickness Fender Strat body should be 1.75" thick....yours is probably 1.5 to 1.6" so that's the first clue plus the saddles are the wrong type and so is the routing (for Mexico)

Bellingjam and stratman323 like this.
  6. necredibile

necredibile New Member!

Yeah it's 1.5. I just messaged the guys, I doubt anything will happen though...

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Did you buy it from a shop? How did they describe it? If it was described as a Fender Mexico Standard Strat (or something like that) they lied to you. I'd return it if possible, people shouldn't be able to get away with selling partscasters as legitimate Fenders.

ChrisD likes this.
  8. necredibile

necredibile New Member!

I bought this off a private seller, and the man has not responded, so I guess the guitar is mine.

9. stratman323

Hmmm, I don't think I would give up that easily if someone had conned me!

Guitarmageddon and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  10. necredibile

necredibile New Member!

Although I'm really bummed, I don't think it's worth it trying to push for anything against someone who was out to con a buyer from the very start, especially for $50. Worst case scenario I'll sell the neck separately and get some money back down the road. Or I'll just get the guitar playing nice and keep it.

RobZ69 likes this.
  11. stratman323

OK, well it's good that you can see it that way. And I suppose (putting on old man's hat....) it's a valuable lesson in life.

But next time you intend to buy a guitar, remember to ask on here before you buy it. There is a vast wealth of knowledge on here, between all of us. If one person doesn't know the answer, someone else will. So welcome to ST!

necredibile likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

The 'contour body' decal is in the wrong location.

Neck could be an Indonesian-built neck (they are shipping with a plastic truss plug like MIMs).

Squier magnets are blocks on the back of the pickup, these look like the type that are inserted sideways up in the pickup. Where I've seen these types are on some other clone strats. The pickups can sound good when heights are correctly set, but you may not even have a Squier.

However, a few minor mods and a good setup and you can have a great playing and sounding guitar.

-check frets for level with a fret rocker (or credit card) all over the fretboard next to each string and use a marker to dot the top of the fret.If many places, a fret level can make this play like a $1,000 guitar.
    -Replace the pots with Bourns (or CTS) and the switch with Oak-Grigsby (or CRL) and jack with Switchcraft. Leave the stock pickups but set height (look up 'joe walsh gibsonuk setup' videos on youtube). With careful shopping you might get it all for $20 (and it matters for tone, will push the pickups around) and the parts are the same as $3k guitars.
    -Look up the Armstrong Blender mod when rewiring for the pots and switch replacement, gives you the ability to blend between SSS and HSH for a stealth les paul. Breja toneworks channel on youtube has a good walkthrough on wiring.
    -Follow the 'frudua' Strat setup videos.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  13. Guitarmageddon

The logo/decal is in the right spot, it's not 'original contour body' it says 'Deluxe Series' and they were put in a different position on purpose to visually differentiate them from other models.....the neck has a legit 2008 MIM serial.....

It's a partscaster.....and yes 100% the loaded body is China-made and is a Squier Affinity.....

RobZ69, Thrup'ny Bit and necredibile like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.