Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Let's Rehash Our Pup Choices

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by muf magician, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:22 AM.

1. muf magician

muf magician Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    After a while of scrolling I don't see this conversation popping up without using the search function and I'm in a dilemma so let's talk pickups right quick.

Before picking up guitar again after a cumulative 8 year hiatus, my desire to pick it back up during that time and my motivation for pulling the trigger came nearly exclusively from John Frusciante; naturally after getting in my Strat I'm wondering if I should check out a set of SSL1s.

I'm thinking of building a loaded mint green pickguard with SSL1s with quick-disconnects for the output jack and bridge-ground to make swapping electronics quick and simple.

I'm here for any other suggestions, you probably know the tone I'm after, and even if you don't, I want to know what you've found in your experiments with pickup sets.

2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    All mine are of my own making. Pretty traditional construction, nothing exotic(yet:D) but I do experiment with flat poles, non-exposed covers,and different wire gauges.

[​IMG]

Robins and muf magician like this.

3. muf magician

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    C'mon man how about those sweet details. What's the resistance you shoot for on each position? Under the covers what do the pole heights look like? Do you set out to emulate an existing set of pups or have you (or hope to) just stumble across something uniquely great?

Also, when there are so many manufacturers out there making high quality pickups, what made you decide to forgo all of that and wind a set yourself?

4. bchaffin72

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    This set is 8.1k on the bridge, 7k middle, and 6.2k neck. Under the covers, they're flat pole alnico 5 rods, wound with 43 gauge poly coated wire. I do have sound samples I could drop, if you want to hear what they sound like in mine.

Sometimes, like these, I just experiment and see what happens. Sometimes I emulate a bit,or stick closer to classic stuff.

Mostly because pickups fascinate me. So simple in design, yet so many possibilities.:D

thxphotog likes this.

5. muf magician

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    That's awesome, drop some links for sound samples and bon-voyage on your pickup hobby, I bet it's quite the rabbit hole.

6. DerRobert

DerRobert Strat-Talk Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Leubsdorf
    I think you can't go wrong with ssl1's. Any vintage style pickup will do the trick in my opinion.

The "secret" is to set up a Marshall (or an amp in that style) to break up if you dig in and stay clean when you touch lightly. And then control your tone via dynamics. And for lead you just use a Boss DS 2 ... :thumb:

7. bchaffin72

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    Here you go.:D

8. muf magician

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    Yeah I'm falling for Boogie stuff so that should do the trick.

carver likes this.

9. DerRobert

DerRobert Strat-Talk Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Leubsdorf
    I've never played a boogie, so can't really tell if they're doing the trick. The leadchannel of my tubemeister 18 does a quite convincing job on low gain settings. :)

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I like them, that’s all. Nothing to rehash.

The Strat Dude and heltershelton like this.

11. bchaffin72

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    Don't you know you can't just like them. Not until you've rethought it in triplicate and initialed all your permission forms! Where do you think you are, someplace logical??:D

12. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    I tried a full set of SSL-1's and loved them. But I needed a little more bite in the bridge, so I swapped it out with an SSL-5. This combo is my favorite out of all 3 of my strats, and is the most favorite to play....by a long shot. I love this combo, and as long as I own and play a guitar, it will definitely be in my arsenal. Very versatile. I'll post a few different examples. All with the following combo:
    Neck: SSL-1
    Middle: SSL-1 RWRP
    Bridge: SSL-5

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:50 PM

13. chrimturn

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth

14. chrimturn

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth

15. chrimturn

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I did that already. Used the new cover sheets and everything.

17. muf magician

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    Okay thanks, the main reason for the post was to see if there's a set that's found to be more desirable, I know the SSL platform is a little old but so far they seem really relevant in aftermarket pickup options.

18. bchaffin72

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    Oh. Ok, then. Carry on.............nothing to see here.:D

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    “Best” with respect to pickups is totally subjective. You may not like a set another player raves about.
    The SSL is a great set and a lot of folks like them, but to my ears they lack the chime I expect from a Strat.
    What sort of music do you play, and is there a player whose tone you particularly like? That would help guide suggestions.

20. muf magician

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    Yessir! In my original post I mention trying to get John Frusciante like tone, which is what put me on the road to SSL1s. Vintage style pups are definitely my route but I'm just feeling out this community's thoughts on what they've used and how they compare.