Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Limited edition Burns Of London.

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Elvis v, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

The Burns vibrato is a brilliant piece of design. Firstly you can adjust the spring tension without removing the rear cover. Secondly the height of the arm above the body is adjustable. Thirdly, and most importantly in my view, the trem action is much lighter and smoother than a Strat's.

(I still can't put my finger on why i don't get on with the things.)

balston11 likes this.

2. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    Could you be more specific which book do you mean I have what I thought were the three definitive books
    The Burns Book by Paul Day pre Burns of London days and a fortune although mine only stands me at £60
    Pearls and Crazy Diamonds by Per Gjorde which covers some of the Burns London years but only up to 2002
    The Jim Burns story Per's recent collaboration with Bill Lovegrove which just mentions the Gold Dream as a model with no details.
    Is there a book I don't know about? If there is Per has not referred to it and Bill hasn't mentioned it to me despite lots of correspondence between us on Burns of London Guitars.

3. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas

4. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    We cannot seem to style guitars in this country, for my eyes the Burns look like they were designed by primary school kids, and even the understated Gordon Smith guitars just look wrong for me.

Stratoskater and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

5. balston11

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    Brought to mind an Email I received from a guy who just loved Burns guitars despite not playing guitar he just liked the looks a bit of his email

I came across a burns and just fell in love with them.. I got hold of a cobra in baby blue which looks fantastic.. and sounds great to me [not the missis and kids though apparently but wot do they know] any way I have just got a marquee which is in a sort of salmon red with gold hard wear/ the chap I got it of did not know anything about it. Said it was his late fathers. And that’s all he could say came with a gator case and is stunning.i don’t think its very old. I must say the burns guitars are the best looking. Any way how can I find out the year of it. the serial no is 0411101..i have just ordered the Jim burns story cant wait for that to turn up. I have really got in to these guitars cant wait for my next one. Hope all well with you. Steve. again sorry to bother you

Elvie likes this.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'd rather have a buffalo than a bison.

:whistling:

7. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    Anyone remember Climax Blues Band/Climax Chicago Blues Band?
    One guitarist had gold-plated guitar! Not sure how you gold-plate wood, but it would be possible to attach a layer of gold leaf. Definitely a guitar to hang on the wall!

8. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Wasn't it one of those Travis Bean (?) metal bodied guitars?

9. balston11

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    I certainly do I still have their album Tightly Knit mainly not very good but for one great track

10. balston11

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK

11. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    And of course, everyone forgets the most important use of a burns ever................. in Dan Land :D

12. Uncle Fiesta

Second most important, surely?

hank+burns.gif

tery and Dan_Q like this.

13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Except that his stated reason for using one of those things instead of a Strat is because he claimed that Strats wouldn't stay in tune. Which is an opinion that he has clearly decided was incorrect since he has played Fenders for the vast majority of his long career.

14. Uncle Fiesta

Even more interesting, when I saw the Shadows final tour in 2004, they switched to Burns for a couple of numbers. I'd long wondered whether Hank had the same sort of contract with Fender that Les Paul had with Gibson - "thou shalt not be seen playing any other electric but ours" and that it had by then expired.

15. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    I want one :) ... or two !

16. balston11

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    Sort of correct see post 19 but how could the shadows ever have looked cooler than this

Worth watching if only for the ridiculous dancing

17. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'd forgotten that LP cover! About 1970? I only have "Gold plated" from 1976, by that time on RCA.
    And yes, Peter Haycock's guitar WAS made of metal.

18. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX

19. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX