Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by 357mag, Oct 6, 2011.

1. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

Jul 22, 2010
    Minnesota
    I've used Lindy's Blues Specials which are fantastic sounding pickups. But I've realized the thing that I like about them is also the same thing that I kinda dislike about them. Their thickness. I do like the added muscle and thickness, but at the same time I love the vintage crispness of a traditional Strat pickup.

Was wondering if anyone here has tried his Vintage Hots?

2. rusticoaf

rusticoaf Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    i've got a set, and (in my guitar with my hands) they are very vintage stratty sounding. it'll easily do under the bridge, yellow ledbetter tone... (which is the pinnacle of strat tone to my ears)

3. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    i have the real 54's, but the callaham version. it's cryo treated. i don't know what that does, but it sounds better.

4. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

Jul 22, 2010
    Minnesota
    What do you mean Callaham version? Callaham version of Lindy Fralin pickups? Cryo treated pickups?

5. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey
    I have Vintage Hots. Excellent, but I was using Fender VN's before.........

6. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    yes, fralin winds them for callaham and callaham cryo treats them.

7. Micktobora

Micktobora Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia STRAT
    Isn't this cryogenically treated thing all hype? Sounds pretty unbelievable to me how they can perform better after this supposed cryo' treatment. .

8. Micktobora

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia STRAT
    Im thinking of getting a loaded guard of Vintage Hots from Lindy Fralin myself. How noisy are they - as the Texas Specials on my old strat can be very noisy in certain situations. As they are lower output compared to TS id assume they'd be quieter, especially with an overdrive.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    VB Strat likes this.

9. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

They’re fantastic. A little more polite than I wanted, but really great sounding pickups.

Micktobora likes this.

10. tiredguy

tiredguy Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've never heard a Lindy Fralin pickup I didn't like. They are really great. I love how warm and articulate they are. I find them multi layered to my ears.

Micktobora likes this.

11. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    I put a set of VHs in my 97 MIA Standard - really good vintage sound not unlike the sound of the 65 CAR in my avatar.

Lindy is a great guy to deal with. I called up to talk it over and didnt realise until 20 minutes that he'd picked up the call himself! Got the bridge pickup baseplate too, and he threw in a volume pot cap to counter the treble bleed.:D

Micktobora likes this.

12. Micktobora

Oct 19, 2017
    Australia STRAT
    They really do sound like the go!
    Ill call LF directly if i can as im not overly clued up on the treble bleed pot thing and seemingly many other combinations.
    I just want something fairly simple, yet any improvements on the basic volume and 2 tone controls would be good information for me - prior to calling Mr F himself!
    I think I will go for the baseplate on the bridge as ive read positive stuff in that regard.
    Thanks for your opinions but any more in respect to the above always appreciated!