Join Strat-Talk Today

Lines in the Finish of new American Pro

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by kpoun, Jan 10, 2019.

1. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Strat-Talker

I have heard that Fender QC passes their finished bodies by looking at them closely at arms length away. Regardless, the lines are absolutely common enough to be considered very normal

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

My 2018 Fender American Pro has lines visible in the color coat that show the wood grain, so I would surmise that mines has a pretty thin finish, at least the color coat is. My 79 strat has a very thick finish and I was able to remove damage from where a rubber stand contacted it and boogered up the finish, and it looks like a new guitar now.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

That's pretty common and nothing I'd be concerned with.In the 1990s,the American standards had a veneer top and back so that the finish would be perfectly flat with no sinking into the woodgrain.The eventual trend for thinner finishes and bodies made of solid wood with no veneer made Fender do away with the veneer and apply thinner undercoats.I find that more appealing and when I see the finish sinking into the woodgrain I actually think 'cool,the paint is not applied too thickly'.Look at all the highly coveted vintage guitars of the 1950s and 60s...they typically have lots of finish sinking into the woodgrain.It's all good with me.Now just play the damn thing instead of worrying about cosmetics(ha!ha!)!!

4. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talker

Understood :) its not my life aim to prove you wrong. Its just I own one and I can tell its not the same poly coating I got used to with my EBMM for example where I've dropped a PUP on it end ended up with massive paint flake off.

I have faith in Fender that they ware able to come up with coating both thin enough and durable. Its 2019 and can't see a brain surgery level difficulty here

elduderinoTF likes this.
  5. st2012

st2012 Strat-Talk Member

I have one in the same color and can't find anything similar. It doesn't look very noticeable. Do you love the guitar other than that? It would be a shame to exchange it over something fairly small and then get an axe that you didn't connect with. But, obviously, it's going to be your call.

6. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

yeah?

those lines?

you wanted a guitar not a bunch of lines.

come to think about it...

we are all lines. strung together.. forever swirling and swirling

so..

are you saying.

humans arent.. good enough? cuz the lines?

mind you... HOPEFULLY you arent paying for the humans in your life. the guitar you paid for.. so yeah.. if it bugs you..

nadzab likes this.
  7. kpoun

kpoun Strat-Talk Member

Thank you for your answers. I think that the guitar has a personality through the lines. I hope the Finish doesn‘t crack after the warranty.

maybe it's normal, maybe not. I just wish the Finish did not break. that would be annoying.

8. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

I can hardly see them. My CS strat has similar lines across the body which I was aware of when I bought it. Doesn't bother me one bit, I regard it as something unique to my guitar.

I would be far more worried if I had fret buzz, bad action, or one of a whole host of other things that could happen.

9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

The 22 I have owned have been a mix of about 7-10 MIM and the rest MIA ranging form the 80's, 90's, mid 2000's and a 2017 Am Pro that I returned after a week. Since April of 2017 the only two Strats I have owned are Eric Johnson signatures so I am not sure about the past two years or current Am Pros.

Regardless of how thin they make it poly (urethane or ester) does not sink in to grain lines and is not the cause of the OP's issue. Even if it's thin poly is still a hard shell and this is why manufactures use it, it will look nice for decades.

10. Chubbles

Chubbles Strat-Talker

I would try polishing the heck out of it using auto polish.

henderman and Bob the builder like this.
  11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I would ***** about it and eventually forget they were there. I never return anything unless it just doesn't work. I'd rather kick myself repeatedly, than return it. Not saying my way is the right way, 'cause it isn't. It's just what I know I'd do.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  12. kpoun

kpoun Strat-Talk Member

I have made a video in which you can see it very well.

13. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-O-Master

I don't think that polishing will do much good. They look like the wood wasn't dry enough to mill to me. I would imagine that over the long haul the finish will crack in those places but maybe not.

Stratbats and StratPlus97 like this.
  14. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Strat-Talker

Identical to the lines on my American Special

15. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Strat-Talker

And I would imagine certain colors exacerbate the visibility of the lines. I think the lines add a bit of mojo and uniqueness.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Silvercrow likes this.
  16. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

FYI, I am expecting to receive a new American Pro strat next week - when I get it, I will inspect the finish carefully just to satisfy my curiosity, and weigh back in on this thread.

YOSTINATOR likes this.
  17. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

My 4 American Strat's have them. 2017 and '18 models. Looks like wood grain or piece joints
    Lets me know its made out of WOOD.

18. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Fender has been using a thinner undercoat for a while now. I have seen quite a few fender poly finished guitars from 2017 and 2018 with those lines.
    The lines I have seen are pretty similar to lines I have seen on nitro finished guitars.

Silvercrow likes this.
  19. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

There's this territory where the vast majority of electric guitars live situated somewhere between Flawless and Relic.
    All of mine live there.

Silvercrow and henderman like this.
  20. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Usually, I'm one to say return a guitar with obvious flaws. In this case, I'm on the fence.

Can you feel the lines when you run a finger or a pick over them?

kpoun likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.