Join Strat-Talk Today

Lines in the Finish of new American Pro

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by kpoun, Jan 10, 2019.

1. kpoun

kpoun Strat-Talk Member

No, i can‘t feel the Lines.

2. BlkStrt

BlkStrt Strat-Talker

Fender has been putting the thinner polyurethane finishes on their American models(except the RIs) since 2008 with the reintroduction of the American Standard. i have owned several Am Stds(2012, 2x 2015 ) and a 2016 Am Pro. all of them have the same grain lines as the OP and are more fragile(dents easily) than Fender's earlier poly finish like on my '91 Ultra. and on my Ultra you can see the seams on the body even with the maple veneer.

i also have seen chipped finish on floor models in store for both polyurethane and flash-coated nitro MIA Fenders. the polyurethane is about the same thickness as the flash coat nitro.

Stratbats and YOSTINATOR like this.
  3. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

I must admit I'm rather curious that so many are basically excusing Fender's painting of guitars. The Pro is now the supposed flagship of the fleet, and.. well.. what's a few blemishes on a brand new guitar.. o_O

I wonder how many would be so quick to except a defective paint job on their new car. Jeez, a guitar is such a tiny thing to paint. If they still can't get it right after making millions why not just advertise all as road-worn relics.. :thumbd:

All my guitars are old and well worn, but I can most definitely say if I bought a brand new one for serious money I'd want it sans imperfections.. ;)

Neil.C likes this.
  4. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Now you all have me going back and closely looking at more of my herd. 1996 MIM Midnight Blue - none, 1994 MIA Midnight Blue- very light, 2018 MIM EOB Oly White - light, 2018 MIM Surf Green Pearl - like the one in the OP, 2007 Am Deluxe Amber QMT - front flawless, back light, 2016 Tele FMT MIK - flawless.

None going back. But there is a price threshold where I expect flawless. Probably anything north of $1.5K USD. I am going start to pay more attention to MIK. The workmanship is outstanding on my Tele.

5. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Those lines are normal I have had a dozen late model American strats all had those witness lines.

6. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

@Ronkirn has finished a lot of guitars. Makes me wonder at what level to expect better?

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I can't see anything in the photos, but I'm betting they're the result if the grain in the wood showing in the gloss as the finish shrinks.. it's gonna get worse, and it's normal..

r

Bowmap likes this.
  8. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

My 2014 Standard has some of these as well. I think these are just the wood grain of the body showing through the "thin" coat. Not sure of course. If it bothers you much, take it back and choose a guitar that has less pronounced lines.
    Welcome to ST, by the way!

Edit: I didn't see Ron's post above. I would listen to him :D

9. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

As a player, that wouldn't bother me in the least.
    Neither would a neck pocket gap.

What i would care about is:
    The neck being straight.
    The fret work being tidy (even that can be corrected after the fact, if i loved the guitar that much).
    It staying in tune.
    It sounding great.
    It being an overall success in playability.

That's me, looking at it from a player's perspective.

There is nothing wrong with looking at it differently than that.
    Some folks want a perfect finish, and it's important to them, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    They pay their money, and they should be reasonably satisfied with their purchase.

For me personally, i don't WANT a flawed finish, but if everything else is perfect for me in the playability department......... I'd be inclined to keep it.

10. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

So what if you had one with a perfect finish? Assuming you liked it, and played it a lot, in a year from now would the finish be perfect? I didn't think so. I've had guitars that were dang near "perfect," and like a fool I played them. Yeah, I tried to not wear clothes with buttons or buckles, and I carefully wiped them down after playing, and laid them lovingly in their cases. And now, years later, they are not perfect but they were built to make music and they are good guitars.

You might feel different and that's fine too.

11. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Is your car made of wood?

nadzab, Mr Dunlop and YOSTINATOR like this.
  12. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Also, two incredibly different price points.
    Expensive guitars-- 5k
    Expensive cars -- 80+k

YOSTINATOR and Paperback Rocker like this.
  13. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

I couldn’t really see the lines in your first post but I sure can see what your talking about in that Youtube video. If that is considered normal for one of these guitars I wouldn’t buy it. That finish is rediculous, it never should have left the factory looking like that. My Poly finish American Strat and Tele dont look like that, they are smooth without any imperfections in the finish. If everyone buys a Fender that looks like that, keeps it, then Fender will never bother to change. If they all came back and they had to make good things would be a lot different leaving the factory.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Neil.C and johnnymg like this.
  14. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I personally would take it back and ask for a discount as a compromise. It should still be a great guitar and the audience, if there is one, will not see it. However I now such things sometimes really bother people, and an $800 guitar should come out near perfect, not to mention a $1400 US pro. You could also ask to see if they have something better than does not have the same imperfections.

I would likely keep it myself, however, I am very utilitarian in what I accept. I DO know that if everyone were like me, Fender would have no incentive to fix what should not be a flaw like this at this price point.

15. harrysmo

harrysmo Senior Stratmaster

Looks beyond normal for a new guitar. I’m not an expert but it looks like, what I would think, is a possibile hard freeze/thaw cycle or more. You live in Germany and I wonder if it was subjected to freezing weather during the long transit causing this type of minor ‘checking”?

16. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

I have something like that on my Elite. You can see them in this clip...around 2:01 when the light moves onto the body more. Some at the beginning also, but I thin more noticeable later. They line with the grain

They have gotten worse...or better...depending how you see it. I like it. There is no cracking in the finishing and I can feel it with my hand.

Stratbats and johnnymg like this.
  17. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I agree. I’m also betting the same people that say something like “just play it”, are the same people that would return the guitar themselves in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

As many have mentioned... those faint, and very fine lines are quite common. No, they are not going to "polish out".

And there is no indication that they will ever lead to the finish cracking.

On my thirteen different USA and MIM Strats and Teles, if I look closely enough, under the right light... such lines can be found on most of them. So what? Are these guitars flawed samples? No. (ALL guitars are flawed in one way or more, if you obsess deeply enough over them.)

You can fret over it, get stressed over it, focus on trying to see the lines, or return guitars repeatedly for different samples... if you're that obsessive. (Yeah, I'm a very picky buyer myself... but these very fine micro lines do not bother me at all.)

In the end, you will likely find guitars that are wonderful and that you love... on which such very faint, fine lines can be found.

SO: Obsess and stress? Or, play and enjoy? Only you can choose how you wish to spend your time!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Textele likes this.
  19. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Strat-Talker

I had the exact same lines in my white 2017 Am. Pro. Strat. I didn't even notice them until I had the guitar for well over a week, maybe even two. The only time they were noticeable was when the light hit them just right. They are beneath the finish, so polishing won't change them. Anyways, I really dug the guitar and didn't want to return it, so I kept it as is. From all the responses, it sounds like they are fairly normal for late model American Strats. If they bug you, return it - it'll only bug you more down the road if you don't. Nice Strat, BTW!

20. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

I feel like you're channeling @thomquietwolf here...

Silvercrow and johnnymg like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.