Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Little or Large headstock.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by garyhoos1, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The Tyler headstock design works, because it is instantly recognizable, and unforgettable, and there have now been several posts on a popular guitar forum discussing Tyler guitars because of that ugly headstock.

I saw a youtube chat with Dave Friedman (Friedman Amps), where he said that the there was a multi page thread (in which he responded) on The Gear Page about why he gave his amps such stupid or offensive names.

In the youtube vid he commented (paraphrasing) "there is no bad publicity, some people have a problem with the names of my amps, so there is now a 14 page thread on the biggest gear forum on the internet talking about Friedman Amps. Thank You!"

Highway Star and simoncroft like this.

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Recognizable sure, I give him that. But my concern would be the potential buyer being not comfortable to own that guitar and be proud to display it to the world. There are several boutique guitar manufacturer's that have successfully done that, created a good concept guitar with a nice and attractive headstock. To me Tyler fails on the latter aspect, but that's just me. If it appeals to others fine I accept it, I'm not one for shaming people.

simoncroft and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

3. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I didn't say it's not fugly :confused:, because it certainly is, just that it works on the level of getting people to talk about Tyler guitars. See? It works. ;)

simoncroft likes this.

4. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    We're talking about it, sure but I'll bet none of us is going to run to the store and buy one just because of it;)

simoncroft likes this.

5. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    Well, that's the problem. Talk is cheap. No sale is still no sale.

simoncroft and Guy Named Sue like this.

6. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    AZ
    It depends what one is on the guitar I like:sneaky:

7. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The point is, that these are very well made high end guitars, and because we are discussing them here, someone who may be in the market for a high end guitar and did not even know that Tyler guitars existed, now does. Even if some don't like the aesthetics, it's still publicity.

8. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Someone said it here....Big head stock=Rock and Roll....Little head stock=Blues

9. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    I don't know if that works in reality, there's good buzz and bad buzz, if the point is to just start a buzz for the sake of it and hold your breath for people lining up the shop to buy a Tyler guitar, I wouldn't hold my breath for that long.

It's a nice line to say there is no such thing as bad publicity! But in reality when it comes to boutique guitar manufacturer's their best bet is always guitars show and guitar reviews/demo on YouTube to showcase them and also having professional players attached to the guitar!

There's no doubt that Tyler makes good guitars , his best competition is Suhr who both makes somewhat identical guitars and are at same price range. Suhr has the advantage of pedigree of course but also better headstock design.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017

10. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm not too crazy about Suhr's headstock either.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    simoncroft likes this.

11. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2010
    Peabody, MA
    I'm okay with both sizes...

12. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I understand the promotional value of a unique headstock shape. Maybe you're playing on a session in a top studio with some other guitarists, and one of them has a guitar you admire, but don't ask him/her about. Later on you think: "Damn, I wish I could remember who made that guitar!" With the words 'JAMES TYLER' repeated over and over across the headstock, combined with the goofiest shape ever, that isn't going to happen.

But here's where that idea goes all wrong for me:

1) I'm a strong believer in great design, visually and functionally. Why? Because if you design something that a consumer desires more that the alternatives, you will get the sale, often at a premium. Also, if you spend 10x more on design than your competitors, but sell 100x more, your design costs are a tenth of the other operation on a per-unit basis.

2) When I buy something, I am the customer, not part of the marketing strategy.
    Too often, I buy something and know there's an agenda. I don't know how it is in other countries, but when you buy a new car in the UK the company that sold it to you often adds a little logo on the back. What! I gave you my money and I bought a billboard? And when I buy something on line, I don't want you emailing me every day about that other stuff you sell.​

More than anything though, when the parts of something I can see look poorly designed, I start to question how much attention to detail has gone into the parts I can't see yet.

Guy Named Sue likes this.

13. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    I get that. I'm just saying it can cut the other way, too.

Here too, for new cars. And on used cars they didn't originally sell, a dealership license plate frame. That goes as soon as I buy a car.

Guy Named Sue and simoncroft like this.

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    I love both, but I hate the none spaghetti logo on the CBS headstock. Apart from that I can get over my prejudices.

15. cool ghoul

cool ghoul New Member!

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Small headstock only for me please. I've even cut large ones down into small ones. This one used to big a big one. IMG_20170731_240030739.jpg

16. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

I must admit I never used to like the large headstock, but now I see it has a certain kitsch appeal, and wouldn't stop me buying a guitar I liked anyway.

Besides which, no opportunity to post my gorgeous 'SSS' (Sienna Sunburst Seventy-nine) again can be resisted.

SSS.jpg

17. tom310

tom310 New Member!

Jun 23, 2017
    Kansas
    To me, Large = CBS = no thank you!

18. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

Mmmmmmm, Friedman amps....

Mmm.jpg

Ebidis likes this.

19. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I have both, first electric (<<< avatar) has a large headstock (and a chunky C neck). When I built my first partscaster I purposefully sought out a large headstock (RW FB).

Built a 70's tribute with the requisite HS.

Others have smaller, so it depends on the guitar.

20. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter