Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Locking tuners vs vintage!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MrNirvanerd, Oct 19, 2011.

1. MrNirvanerd

MrNirvanerd Strat-Talker

Dec 3, 2010
    England
    I'm putting a modern vintage guitar together at the moment; which tuners are overall best?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    depends what you're going for. If you want the old style look, get the vintage. For overall stability, locking ones are best.

3. MrNirvanerd

MrNirvanerd Strat-Talker

Dec 3, 2010
    England
    Well I prefer the look of the vintage, but on my jaguar, when the string snaps, the tuning goes wack!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. EooN

EooN Strat-Talker

Sep 22, 2011
    Poland
    You can get both - locking AND vintage. Gotoh makes such tuners. They're stock on my Classic Player 50's.

6. stratomaster96

stratomaster96 Banned

May 28, 2011
    Connecticut, USA
    Vintage tuners all the way!

7. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    I luv my locking tuners for stability & ease of string change.

8. cfox

cfox Strat-Talker

Jan 27, 2010
    NC
  9. Bluezman

Bluezman Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2011
    Virginia
    Vintage hands down

10. tiredguy

tiredguy Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I just replaced some Gotoh vintage locking machines because the string post leant so much on the low E string that the nut was getting a sideways cut in it at the back and was binding. These were brand new. The locking button on top of the threaded shaft leant over through either slack in the threads or the metal was too soft and it didn't take the pressure load on it from the string. I replaced the locking versions with regular vintage versions and all is well again. I just thought I'd mention it as it was my first and only experience with the locking machines and it wasn't a happy one.

11. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    Those Gotohs look like they'ed be the ticket. Adjustable post will mak a difference too.

12. MelodicBends

MelodicBends Strat-Talker

Apr 3, 2011
    Canada
    Down sides? These might literally fix every problem I've ever had with my guitar lol, so what are the cons?

Also, would using bushings to make the tuner fit also have downsides? Like loss of integrity?

13. cfox

cfox Strat-Talker

Jan 27, 2010
    NC
    No string tree necessary with the H.A.P

14. MelodicBends

Apr 3, 2011
    Canada
  15. TuxedoStrat

TuxedoStrat Banned

Jul 9, 2011
    Australia
    Can those be used on a 2010 Am. Std? If so I will probably buy them right now.

16. MelodicBends

Apr 3, 2011
    Canada
    Can those be used on a 2010 MIM Std? If so I will probably buy them sometime soon.

17. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Texas
    If you want vintage look I really like the Wilkinson vintage Kluson style... If you are talking absolutely best tuner ever made... Sperzel, hands down.

18. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

Jan 14, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    locking tuners aren't going to help that. if you break a string, use the lock button on the trem.

19. Holoflash

Holoflash Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2011
    Manteca Ca
    Never tried Gotohs but they look nice. I'd be willing to give em try.

20. tiredguy

tiredguy Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Another thing is if you buy Gotoh vintage tuning machines beware of the supplied screws. They can snap if you so much as look at them. I had new ones snap into a neck that was already threaded for the supplied screws in the packet. Even with wax on them 2 of them snapped before they were seated.

21. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My solution is to drill the full length of the hole with a 1/16ths twist bit, then redrill the shank portion of the holes with 3/32nds. And I keep a perfectly matched driver, just the right size for these heads.

These screws are soft and very easily damaged. Normally the head gets torn up and looks ugly. Zero issues if the plan above is followed.

++

I've got Sperzel lockers on 3 guitars. I much prefer the bread and butter Gotoh TK 0880 splits. The Gotoh lockers are clumsier IMO and the Gotohs shown above are clunky IMO next to the basic 0880s.

[​IMG]

For MIA and some MIM Fenders the 10mm conversion bushes make for a fairly easy conversion. If your guitar ALREADY has the MIM Ping splits (only the MIM Classic 50s and the Jimmie Vaughan have a Gotoh tuner amongst the MIM Strats) then this Wilkinson described above can replace the Ping with less work. All the ODs and IDs are different, going from Ping splits to Gotoh splits.