Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Looks like another one's going to rainbow bridge

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jaybones, Sep 13, 2017.

1. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Parents' rescue black lab Eliza has been throwing up from time to time all summer. Recently she started throwing up during the day, often only bile- no food left.

Vet thought it might have been she had swallowed water from the lake (miscrosystin from the blue green algae), then thought it might be viral.

Today she is very weak, not interested in eating anything (even didn't want banana, her favorite). Lying on the porch breathing rapidly, salivating a lot even having muscle tremors like she's having small seizures.

Finally struggled to her feet and started drinking a lot of water. Had to stop since she was panting and out of breath.

We went to a potluck for a retiring island woman, and left her on the porch. Came back and she was down at the end, under the table sort of. I brought out her bed, and had to lift her up onto it.

She barely made it on, then collapsed panting. Still salivating a lot (never seen a dog drool with their mouth closed before like this) and didn't want water.

There's a script for Tramodol, and the vet said its about keeping her comfortable until the end.

Very sad.

2. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    My condolences.

It never gets easier with our furkids. There is that price that we have to pay for all the unconditional love they give us.

circles and Monkeyboy like this.

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Bummer, keep her comfortable and condolences to you

4. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    So sorry to hear. I definitely have a soft spot for the dogs.

T Bone Slort likes this.

5. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    So sorry man. We used to look after an old labby, and we were gutted when she went, even though she wasn't ours. She was our friend. You do your best, but that doesn't make it any easier.

6. jaybones

Yes, totally tearing me apart.

I just had to carry her from the front porch inside to her bed by picking her up with her doggy blanket. Made it just about into the living room where he bed is, had stopped to make the turn and she stepped out of the blanket.

Didn't have the strength to support her weight and collapsed. Back end was still in the blanket sling, and she did a face plant on the carpet.

Gave me a dirty look and shied away from me once my mom coaxed her into her bed.

I feel terrible that I was trying to help her out but she didn't understand and made it worse on herself.

7. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Strat-O-Master

Dec 29, 2013
    ohio
    My sympathies friend. I know it isn't easy.

8. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    It sounds like it's time to help her go. As hard as it is, sometimes it best.
    I understand how hard it is to make that decision.
    Our thoughts are with Eliza, you and your parents.

9. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    It'll rip your heart out; no way around it , but they have a lot to show us about love.

Tone Quest and Uncle Bob like this.

10. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    Poor old Eliza.
    Dogs can be so stoic when they are in distress, it hard to know how much they are suffering.
    Let's hope she passes peacefully when the time comes :(

circles likes this.

11. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Strat-O-Master

Jan 31, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    I lost two of my Labs in the past three years. Does not ever get easier. Have had dogs since a teenager and I still remember every one and how they acted.
    I have the son of one still with me a beautiful big black Lab ,a rescue Lab Shepherd cross , a male wild cat that showed up on the porch one day at about 6 weeks old and a female Pit bull that just showed up one day a couple of months ago,a skinny flea bag. I know your pain and wish there were something to say....... But all I have is I'm sorry.

T Bone Slort likes this.

12. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm sorry to hear this, and I know too well the pain of losing a cherished pet, having euthanized my 6 year old Merlin just 8 weeks ago. Try and keep her comfortable and pain free until the time comes for you to set her free.

13. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2010
    Peabody, MA
    I can remember something similar happening to one of my pets. I made the decision to put her down as I knew whatever they did wouldn't change anything. I didn't want her to be frightened with the separation, sent to a medical facility, smelling other animals, and scared. It was hard to do and you always ask yourself, "what could I have done better?" My sympathies.

Laura

lonegroover likes this.

14. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    I think we all know that dogs don't hold grudges so your little mistake will now be forgotten.
    As someone said words are not enough but very sorry to hear your sad news.

15. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    It's always sad when one of the fur babies is coming to their time, thought are with you and family it's a tough time...

16. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-Talker

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    Bummer. I did something similar to the face plant when we had a cat with a saddle thrombosis. I can still remember the sound of his hip hitting the floor.

It's never easy. Personally I find it's harder to deal with losing a pet than it is a human.

17. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Man, it's hard to read these posts. I love my two dogs more than I do some humans. Not being able to talk to them to help them understand makes it so much worse. They don't know why they are suffering and all we can do is to make them as comfortable as possible and do the humane thing when there's no other choice. My deepest condolences.

T Bone Slort likes this.

18. qblue

qblue Strat-O-Master

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Sorry for your impending loss. Likely a thyroid mass which enlarges making it difficult to eat or drink. Labrador retrievers are prone to this condition.

19. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    You are losing a member of your family, and that is never easy. Be courageous and don't let Eliza suffer. I understand your pain, as we lost one of our Beagles last spring.

T Bone Slort likes this.

20. jaybones

My mother, a retired registered nurse, thought she had pancreatitis. One of 2 blood tests didn't show anything abnormal but her symptoms fit exactly.

This morning I had to carry her from where she spent the night (floor beside my mom's side of the bed, her crate and bed is farther away). She usually doesn't like being lifted, but didn't struggle at all.

I put her down in the backyard to pee and she collapsed. Too weak to even stand let alone take care of business.

Lifted her into the back of the minivan where her bed and blanket was, and she feebly licked my hand.

She seemed to know she wasn't coming back and was letting me know that everything was going to be OK.

She went on the 8:30 boat, at the vet for her appointment to be euthanized. Being cremated, and not sure how we'll respect her ashes.

My yellow lab rescue Dori loved apples and I planted an apple tree and sprinkled her ashes in the hole.

Eliza's favorite was bananas, except they don't grow here.