Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Loopers?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by LunarSlingShot, Jul 3, 2018.

1. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

May 8, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Anyone use loopers? Have any suggestions on a good one to use for gigging?

circles likes this.
  2. rgbedard

rgbedard Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I don't gig, so my advice might not be worth much, but don't want you to feel ignored ...

I have two Ditto loopers on my board, one at the beginning to loop clean signal to help me get effects dialed-in, one at the end to loop the fully-cooked signal. I am not using the one at the front much, will probably move it to the end so can have two separate loops.

If I were gigging, I think I would like to show up with several loops already stored; I would probably forgo the simplicity if the Dittos for something that would let me store more presets.

The very best looper advice I ever received was: use a metronome or drum machine to help start and stop your loops. Excellent advice.

Electgumbo likes this.
  3. Kalidromos13

Kalidromos13 Strat-Talk Member

May 9, 2018
    CA, USA
    I use a Digitech Jam Man pedal and i like it. Does exactly what it says it does. It took a bit to get the recording down, but as said in the previous post, its easier to get with a metronome or drum machine. Trying to make loops without it kinda gets all confusing.
    I use it mostly to come up with simple rhythm parts and just noodle over them, works great for that.

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I don't gig either but I recently got the Digitech Jamman Solo XT and the 3 Button footswitch. Extremely versatile for a $150 investment. The footswitch allows you to scroll up and down to the next loop, stop, tap tempo, clear/undo all without bending down to press buttons. And you can stick audio files on it via the software which makes it useful for loading backing tracks.

rgbedard likes this.
  5. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I have used a Boss RC 20 XL for some years now as the basis of my act - I loop the chords of a tune (sometimes while singing, often not) and then play the head and solo.

I have used single button loopers but a 2 button looper is easier to use live.

This was recorded live with a loop pedal.

I do not pre-record backing tracks, it's all done live, no quantize, so you have to play in time.

You also have to hit the pedal at the right time.

Bowmap, Boognish, Stratbats and 2 others like this.
  6. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I've been looking at loopers too. Looks like the price is reasonable on the Digitech... Versatile too.

7. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    Ditto on the Ditto Loopers.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Ditto on the ditto of the Ditto.

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  9. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    I have a Boss RC3, which does a number of tricks I'll never use, but the key thing I DO use is that it'll store up to 100 loops. I don't gig - haven't since way before there WERE loopers, but this thing is my jam partner most of the time when I'm playing at home. And I go back to the loops I like enough to save and play to them depending on my mood. As I become a better rhythm player, I save more newer ones and delete some of the older ones I don't play to any more. It can be used on it's own, but it's a LOT easier to use with the aid of an auxiliary foot switch - I use a Boss FS-7 dual switch that takes up less room on my pedalboard than the looper itself does.

There are a lot of simple little loopers out there - the Ditto is probably the best known, but there are a LOT of Ditto clones that you can get for about $30-40 on Amazon or eBay that do the same basic thing. But if you want to save loops, they can be pretty simple (as the RC3 and the Jamman mentioned above) or exceedingly complex with multiple separate tracks/loops. I like simple, but I also like to be able to save my favorite loops for future use.

-Ray

Stratbats and rgbedard like this.
  10. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    ditto x2 user here, very happy.

artgtr likes this.
  11. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

May 8, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ended up buying a used ditto a couple days after posting! Looking forward to it getting here

12. martynrss2

martynrss2 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Depend on how complex you want to go. Ditto is fantastic for a beginner. Can make complex loops, but there are better out there for that (although, a bit pricier)

Ditto x2 would be my shout. I have the normal ditto. its great for my needs, but sometimes with I had waited and went for the x2.

13. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I have a ditto for home an a boss rc20 for gigs. I wouldn’t mind something that can store more loops so I can create some more interesting loops - I don’t often enjoy seeing someone playing live and building a whole big production , so I keep it simple.

Would be fun to build tunes up like cellist Zoe Keating though. She uses Ableton Live and a control pedal board.

Bowmap and rgbedard like this.
  14. rgbedard

rgbedard Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thanks for posting; thoroughly enjoyed this.

15. artgtr

artgtr Senior Stratmaster

Aug 18, 2013
    WURTSBORO, NY
    I have a Boss looper, it does 2 loopes, always. I really only need it to do 1 loop, & I would play against that, but I don’t know how to make it only do 1 loop. So, I keep it home & it doesn’t go gigging! Image1539227900.612368.jpg So this is the home practice board.
    If anyone knows how to make it do 1 single loop @ a time, let me know! @gigs I do my loopes on the fly.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  16. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I'm not sure I understand exactly the issue you're experiencing, but it doesn't seem to be functioning normally. Have you tried updating the firmware? The latest version is 1.60
    https://www.boss.info/global/suppor...drivers/ea127cf1-8407-4fc3-bef5-1974df731bac/

17. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Ditto X4. One of only a few with midi sync...and it’s amazing. I use it with my best buddy and I can play them both for days and it will stay perfectly timed. There’s much more you can do with the midi sync but I haven’t explored that yet.

18. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    I have the jam man express and it's nice but it does add noise and it does slightly change the tone.

19. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Line 6 JM4....to me it's very expensive but has all the bells and whistles you'll ever need. I don't own one but have used one briefly. At the time it was too much for me....overwhelming with all the things you could do.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I use the Kokko SOS FLP2 (similar to the Ditto Mini).
    Also an Ammoon version out there. They run around $30 new.
    Ditto is around $120 new and around $75 used.

Any of those are good as they are the most simple. You want simple for gigging. If you want more loops like the multi-button versions then just buy two simple loopers and you'll have more flexibility and still be simple.