Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Loss of interest (help)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by marshallb461, Jan 3, 2018.

1. marshallb461

marshallb461 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas
    I don’t really like my strat anymore, and I’ll tell you why. I bought my strat on May 28, 2017 with a pretty solid impression that I was going to want to have this guitar for years and years to come, but in these past couple months I’ve had some issues with it, such as, problems with intonation due to a stripped saddle, and the fact that I’m only 15 years old (will be 16 in about 4 1/2 months) and that I don’t have any money to fix those problems doesn’t help. I hate not being able to pay for things I want for my guitar or anything for that matter.
    If anything, I would sell my strat and get a Fender Mustang P90, because Mustangs are hardtail (usually).
    I happen to change tunings quite often and I hate dealing with when you detune a string, it puts all the other strings sharp. In the past I have broken several strings (mainly high e strings) due to the effect of the tremolo. I also don’t even use the tremolo very much.
    I just want to strat over (pun intended) and buy a new guitar.

PS, if you read this whole thing, I appreciate that.

2. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    Deck the trem and keep it. Just my 2c

Tim S, john lavelle, Boognish and 6 others like this.

3. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Do you know that you can "block" the tremolo so it doesn't move? Plenty of google info on that.

A complete set of Axesrus own brand, or Wilkinson saddles are less than $10

Don't give up on it! :D

If you can put up with this bloke.....

dueducs, Bladesg and Omar like this.

4. DerRobert

DerRobert Strat-Talk Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Leubsdorf
    You wouldn't even have to block the trem. You could just tighten the screws in the back cavity until the whole bridge sits flat on the body. This is referred to as "decking the trem". Tuning stability improves greatly and string breakage is less common with this setup. Also, when you detune one string, the others won't go sharp.

Also, as mentioned above, after market saddles can be good and affordable.

Later you could invest in a nicer bridge, although it isn't really necessary...

Ecosse, dueducs, Tomas83 and 4 others like this.

5. marshallb461

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks people for all the great adivice!!!

john lavelle likes this.

6. marshallb461

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas
    Also, I forgot to mention that my adjustable humbucker screws are stripped to the point of no return.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Try to work out why you're stripping the screws, it does seem to be at the root of your problem. Then get some new screws, fix it up, deck the bridge and then things will look a whole lot brighter.

8. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    If you're into experimenting with different tunings put The ‘HIPSHOT Trilogy’down on your Xmas wish list.

Vinny and Bladesg like this.

9. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Yes, once you learn some of the maintenance, that guitar will look good again, and fixing, changing things, will become easier, and even second nature. We all started out like you, and learned and picked up tips along the way. There are lots of you tube videos and internet info. on Strat ( and general guitar) maintenance now, that used to be unavailable to really, really old guys like me, when we were your age. I agree with the people above, decking that trem if you don't use it, will make a world of difference, for your tuning changes, and will make changing tunings as easy as any other guitar.That saddle should be fairly easy to replace as well, and they're pretty cheap and easy to find on Ebay, Reverb.com, etc..A guy I've bought some stuff from: www.StratCat.biz, specializes in just about any Strat parts, pickups, bodies, necks, hardware, Strat parts and accessories. When I've bought stuff from him, he's super quick sending it, and getting it to you, and his prices are reasonable, if you're looking for parts resources.

Boognish, Em53, Bladesg and 1 other person like this.

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Well, considering that even replacing the screws is a financial problem, the expense of a new bridge and having it fitted doesn't sound a sensibe suggestion to me,

11. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    if you get rid of your strat, youll never forgive yourself. stripped screws are easily replaceable, and decking a trem is super easy. look into frudua on youtube......the dude is awesome. here...ill even post a link. browse through his videos and watch the ones that pertain to you.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/FruduaTv

12. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    It's good to know those are around still. And no harm in drawing a Xmas wish list. Mine sure is long but wishful thinking keeps me dreaming.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

I like looking for solutions (preferably cheap, I'm a Yorkshireman) to the existing problem, rather than create new problems.

14. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    As above !!!

You also need to listen to "Black sabbath Vol.4" at good-volume...And then chill !

I'd keep your Stratocaster. It will be your friend for all-of-your-life if you take a little care of her.

The solution is to keep your guitar, & save-up for another one too. An Epiphone SG would be a great choice, plus they play & sound great & will cure your tremolo-woes too. They're cheap new, so they have to be peanuts S/H...

Enjoy your music,

Rastus

Electgumbo, Yves and heltershelton like this.

15. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Thankfully there was no internet when I was 15. ;)

All Fender Mustangs were tremolo equipped before the 2016 appearance of the 'Offset Series'.
    Also note that the Mustangs are 24" or 22.5" scale length, a significant difference from the Strat.
    Regular use of alternate tunings begs for a guitar dedicated to each tuning.

16. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    isnt it a crime to give teenagers GAS? (you had me at black sabbath)

Rastus likes this.

17. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    I'm all for blocking the trem. About 20 years ago I had the same problem with my MIM and I heard about blocking the trem from an old hippie. I didn't have a wooden block so I improvised and found a rock on the ground that was flat and fit perfectly in the slot. I still have that rock blocking my trem. Don't get discouraged and if you sell it you will probably regret it.

sssstratsss likes this.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Piece of random wood, plywood, or a stack of coins (you have pennies in a jar somewhere in the house?), have all been used. The flat rock ^^^ is a new one. Eric Clapton famously used a chunk of wood behind the tremolo block in one of his guitars and so since then it has been a completely approved mod, lol. A trem is just completely distracting all around. Reset your saddle heights after blocking or decking to get your action back where you want it (typical target is US Quarter under the lowE at the 12th fret).

For a temporary fix on metal to metal screws you can use a few threads out of old multi-strand wire in the hole and screw the screw in, for metal to wood screws you can dip a toothpick in a little household 'elmers' glue or a paste stick, jam it down the hole, break off the toothpick flush to the hole, then run the screw in the hole and it will permanently fix it. This is a frequent solution to strap buttons because those screws often strip out.

Yves and s5tuart like this.

19. CephasG

CephasG Strat-Talk Member

Dec 13, 2017
    USA
    If money is a problem, don't sell, you will lose money selling your guitar.
    Also, if you are really a strat man, you will regret it. I once had the idea of going with a different guitar but then a friend asked me: "Deep down are you not a strat player? Can you imagine yourself with a different type of guitar?", so I bought another strat :)

Yves and s5tuart like this.

20. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    everyone is a strat man, even if they dont think so at the time.

The Birdman, Bladesg, Ebidis and 5 others like this.