Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Loss of interest (help)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by marshallb461, Jan 3, 2018.

1. marshallb461

marshallb461 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas
    Image1514998138.316887.jpg

Costs me a whole $1.10…and…it’s blocked.

2. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Watching this is worse than a root canal...

Yves, altar, s5tuart and 1 other person like this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Well that will work but you may get some odd sounds since it's metal and could rattle. Most folks use a block of wood since the body is wood too. Also you really need to stop striping screws. I did it when I was your age with skateboards, move too fast, use a driver that did not quite fit the screw head or worst of all use the wrong type of bit (i.e. slotted for Phillips head). If you are going to work on your guitar make sure you have screwdrivers with good tips and keep them in good shape. Also screws are like $1 for a 5-10 pack. Get extra.

4. G Money

G Money Strat-Talker

Jul 9, 2010
    League City, TX
    Even Slash is a strat man - see?
    [​IMG]

Electgumbo likes this.
  5. marshallb461

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas
    Well the part of the screw that is stripped is the thread. The thread of the e string saddle is stripped partially. It’s still usable but until I have new saddles it’s all I’ve got.

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Then it is cross threaded. If you removed the screw and put it back in you must have done so at an angle. If it came that way and it was new I would take it to where you bought it and get a new saddle. You also said the pickup adjustment screws for the humbucker are stripped. Is it the head or the threads on those?

7. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talker

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    If I may be frank. Reading between the lines, it seems like the trem and hardware problems arent the only cause of your lack of interest in the strat. They might just be a justification for wanting to trade in the strat for an offset.

I’ll offer a different opinion here. Sell your strat and buy what you want, if you can afford it.

If not, suck it up, block or deck the trem, replace the screws for 3 bucks, and hit the woodshed.

Edit: removed an unnecessary adjective

8. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    The screws didn't start off stripped... not trying to sound mean but you stripped them. No reason to be mad at the instrument.

Use a rubber band over the tip of your screwdriver and remove them and replace with new screws. Machine screws are like a few cents a piece at a hardware store. Just get the same size screw with the same thread pitch and length. If you don't know how to check that have someone help you there.

Use a good, hard tipped screwdriver. You'll know it's the right one of you stick the tip in and there is no wiggle room. Go easy, no need to be the hulk!

Stratoskater likes this.
  9. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Strat-Talker

Jan 13, 2012
    Detroit, MI
    Maybe I'm the bad guy for recommending this but I'm going to say go get a job....

You're 15 1/2, when I was that age I'd already had a couple different summer jobs the previous couple years.

Go ask your neighbors if you can do some odd jobs (Chop wood, shovel snow, mow grass, weed flower beds, paint a fence, clean gutters, etc.)

The screws to fix your problems are a couple dollars at most.

RobZ69 and Hash McBrown like this.
  10. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Also if you if you stripped the saddle, then replacement isn't necessarily the only option.

You may be able to use a tap and die set to fix the threads in it. Then again you may not. AutoZone has one on their loaner tool program it may not have a size small enough. Again you need the right size and thread pitch..m essentially it will be cutting new threads. You can sometimes fix a bolt or screw this way with a thread chaser that is the right size.

Someone there should be able to help you and they might let you use it without renting it as long as you do it there.

If you don't know what you're doing you can really foul it up, so do it at your own discretion. Could be fixed.. Could be totally broken.

11. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talker

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    There are only 2 types of kids who never stripped the hell out of some screws when they were teenagers:

1. kids who stripped the hell out of screws before they were teenagers
    2. liars

edit: there is a third, I guess: 3. people who didn't touch a screwdriver until they were 20 and are probably still messing sh@t up

12. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Don’t give up because of mechanical problems. There’s always something wrong with a guitar. They’re such prima donnas. Keep tweaking and you’ll find the best solutions. However if you end up unable to bond with this guitar, sell it and get a Telecaster. Less parts to go wrong.

13. 2-Finger

2-Finger Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2016
    Brussels, Belgium
    Sounds like you need a good old Tele :sneaky:

Vjerilood likes this.
  14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Fix the Strat :thumb:

Stop fiddling with it so much and just play it :whistling:

Hash McBrown, Yves and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  15. marshallb461

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas
    By “pickup adjustment screws” I mean the pole pieces. I believe it’s the bobbin that is stripped.

16. fender_freak

fender_freak Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    PM me your address, I can spare you a Fender stamped saddle. I'm only 21 so I remember what it's like to eff something up!

17. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Maybe a Mustang is for you. I like them.

18. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-O-Master

Mar 14, 2017
    America
    The mustang 90s looked awesome to me. I got one and I just couldn’t bond with it. It was fun to play for about an hour. I ended up selling it. I now have a mij 96 mustang with a tremolo and I love it. Honestly it’s my current favorite guitar. Go play some at your local GC though, I did like the shell pink I picked up and played around with. Good luck :thumb:

19. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    You still should install all 5 springs and CAREFULLY tighten the claw a bit.

Yves likes this.
  20. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

^^^ This does work quite well. One of my axes has been decked like this for 30 years and I've had to add a little tension to the claw screws once during that time.

OP- I hope you come to a satisfactory solution that will keep you playing (assuming you like doing so).