Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Lotus help found guitar inside couch

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Naucole, Jul 1, 2017.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
    Pull the pickguard as-is and stash in a safe place (not a couch!) and buy a new loaded pickguard or build your own from parts. Bourns pots, switchcraft jack, oak-grigsby or CRL 5-way switch. Find some pickups you like (which can be ebay imports, there are some nice ones out there for less than beer).

Those are 'trapezoid' tuners and as long as not bent/etc are fine if you 'tune up'. Some people cry they are bad and immediately upgrade to expensive branded ones.

I would also say to google 'dan armstrong blender mod' and put that on this, especially with the pointy headstock. You can blend from SSS into HSH.

2. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    I have the same guitar in black, although all that's left of it is the body, neck plate and tremolo.

3. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    No nut, cheap tuners, no bridge, cheap pickups... I wouldn't put money in to it. If you spend $100 on missing parts and get it set up well, its worth $100. If you spend another $100 upgrading the pickups, its still a $100 guitar.

These were common cheap guitars in the 80's - you don't see them around much because they were thrown in the trash, or thrown in a couch.

No treasure here. Any money put in to this is lost. You want to make a fun project out of it? Then have fun restoring it for the fun of it. But don't do it for any sort of illusions of profit.

heltershelton and s5tuart like this.

4. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2009
    Virginia
    I bought my son a new Lotus strat type guitar a long time ago (probably the late eighties) it was red and cost about a hundred bucks or so. I haven't seen it since so I know nothing else about the brand, hell it may be the one stuck in the couch for all I know.

5. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    The wholesale branch of the store I worked at imported these.
    I'm thinking mid-80s, low end line.
    Sorry, I don't have any details on this specific model.
    IIRC, color choices were fairly limited within a batch.

The brand required a bit of warranty work, poor solder joints, necks needing adjustment and fretwork.
    The strings that came supplied on these were truly horrible.

6. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Found a pic of mine before removing the neck. It was originally black and had those EMG Select pickups. I had rounded off the end of the headstock as well.

[​IMG]

7. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Strat-O-Master

Oct 30, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Measure the spacing on the trem posts. If it's 63mm you could use the trem from a Squier Standard series. You can use some epoxy and re-attach the ears on the pickups. It looks like it takes a Les Paul type nut. If you shop around you could get it up and running for around $30. If you decide you don't like it you could dump it off and make a couple bucks.

8. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    ^^^^^i agree with this.

9. Fettmajik117

Fettmajik117 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Iowa
    I wouldn't try to restore it. Plywood body guitar.. we call em wall hangers. But a neat one!

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree with this. I was looking at the pics & I don't think I have ever seen a guitar headstock made from so many different pieces of wood spliced together in fairly haphazard fashion. And those tuners are invariably rubbish & difficult to replace.

Modern cheap guitars coming out of China are almost always better made than those & also made from better quality materials.

11. jtees4

jtees4 Strat-O-Master

Nov 18, 2011
    NYish
    I have owned a few Lotuses, and have seen many....probably at least 5 or 6 different headstocks....but never that one. The pickup logo looks to me like late 80's- mid 90's, probably a Korean guitar. I would not be surprised to find out this was a Samick made Korean Strat. Good luck. I have a Korean Samick that I have never seen another one of, never found a thing about my model....it was at least 6-7 years before someone came along on a web forum that was able to ID mine.