Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Lotus Strat Overhaul about to start......story included

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by davidb1986, Dec 4, 2017.

1. davidb1986

davidb1986 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Texas
    I am new to the forum. Up until 2008 I played Strats, and had several Fender Strats. I then took a liking to Les Pauls. Just recently I found my old love for Strats.

So the story starts when my parents saw an early to mid-80s Lotus Strat in a pawnshop in 2011. They bought it for me for Christmas for $40. It is Lake Placid Blue, with a white pearl PG, and rosewood fretboard. Being that at that time to just recently I played Les Pauls mostly it sat in it's gigbag being played occasionally from 2011 until now. Also it wouldn't keep tune so I chose not to do anything with it. Fast forward to just recently. I picked it up and started playing it. Being I have played since age 12 and semi professionally, I knew it needed an overhaul. The tuners are junk that make it need to be tuned every few minutes. The neck is warped slightly. Has been since I got it. The electronics are junk with crackling when turning any knobs. The neck and middle pickup are ok sounding. The bridge pickup sounds like a cat dying.

All that said because it is about to be almost completely overhauled. I have a replacement maple neck that is the same measurements as the Lotus neck. The replacement neck even has Fender and Custom Shop decals (I'll never try and pass it off as a genuine Fender or Custom Shop guitar. The neck was what I was looking for, for under $90, and is amazing feeling and looking). It has a Laquor finish. I have some aged Kluson vintage tuners on the way. I am looking at getting a loaded 920D pickguard with either Tex Mex or 57/62 pickups in mint green with aged white knobs and covers, or a black pickguard with white knobs and covers from Slappy Jones on eBay. Hopefully after all that, my Strat will be good to go.

I'll post pics of it tomorrow of the Lotus and the new neck. Here are pics from the Fender guitar generator of what it may look like.
    20171204_004840.png 20171204_001433.png

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017

2. davidb1986

Dec 3, 2017
    Texas
    Can't sleep so here are the before pics, and pics of the new neck.
    20171204_011620.jpg 20171204_011630.jpg 20171204_011715.jpg

3. davidb1986

Dec 3, 2017
    Texas

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have a Lotus Strat that's a waiting project right now. It's already been modded but could use a couple more upgrades. Overall is a pretty sweet guitar as is, but like I said, it just needs a couple upgrades.
    I'll be watching to see what you do with it.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama

6. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Mine won't have any. I'll be going back with the original neck.

7. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    OOPS, Quoted the wrong post. DOH!:oops:

8. davidb1986

Dec 3, 2017
    Texas
    I would've gotten a blank so I could've put my own label on it. It was the Amber nitro neck for the price that made me get this one.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I don't think you did. It's the OP davidb1986 who has bought the neck that doesn't only have a fake Fender decal but also a fake Custom Shop decal, which is even worse! And I assumed that your comment was directed at him.

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That's if it's true that it's nitro finished. I'm not sure I would believe someone who thinks that it's OK to put a fake Custom Shop decal on a neck that's never been within 1000 miles of Fender's Custom Shop.

It's just possible that they are lying about the finish too....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    And the original Lotus neck is probably far better quality.

Davey77 likes this.

12. davidb1986

Dec 3, 2017
    Texas
    The Lotus neck is warping. I'm probably going to put the replacement neck on until I can get a warmoth blank or Fender official 50s neck. I see y'alls point on the replacement neck I have. I have to replace the electronics, then I'll be getting another neck. This one will be a stop gap neck for now.

13. Davey77

Davey77 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 29, 2014
    Monroe WA
    I like old Lotus guitars, so will be watching :)

That looks like a 90's Lotus to me. I think I have at least five Loti here in various stages of modding. I mostly only use the necks but have two still with the stock bodies which are lam.

14. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I don't know what mine is made out of but its one of the lightest guitars I have ever owned... even with the Floyd on it.
    1512413350699.jpg

Davey77 likes this.

15. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    Lotus guitars make great projects. All that’s left of this one is the body and trem which has been painted twice now, most recently a couple of months ago. The neck is a no name I got at a shop in south Chicago. Pickups are a Squier 51 neck, Texas Special middle and a Diamondback humbucker. I get lots of questions about it but don’t play it much. Looks good on a hanger though. It weighs a ton which is why I have a huge fat padded strap on it.

[​IMG]

16. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Is that a Fender decal on that no-name neck Lonn.....?

:whistling:

17. Davey77

Davey77 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 29, 2014
    Monroe WA
    Ooops didn't carefully read before posting.

Just so I am not wasting time with a blank notification :) some Lotus eye candy

[​IMG]

18. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    No. The previous owner had the P'ups changed and had the Floyd installed by a local luthier. All I know about it at this point is that it's, like you did the hard edged SuperStrat type, but the body it's the same size as an actual Strat and it still has the serial number sticker on the neck plate. It also has a shredders neck, really flat wide fretboard and thin front to back
    I just haven't had time to mess with it yet.

19. davidb1986

Dec 3, 2017
    Texas
    So the person who sold me the neck gave me the wrong measurements. I am having to widen and deepen the neck cavity to make the neck fit properly.

I am however going to go with 57/62 pickups. I did a lot of sampling on YouTube of Fender pickups, and love the 57/62.

20. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I did at first, then I edited my post. Now it is the correct quote.