Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Low E string problem on my 07’ Yngwie strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by henryocq, May 16, 2018 at 10:13 AM.

1. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If you do not back the low E saddle off it will sound like a muted pig.....The low E saddle should be the almost touching the back steel of the bridge.....The one pic you have shown shows the A saddle almost back more than the low E.....No wonder it sounds like crap.....

If your guitar tech did this then find a new tech.....

Paperback Rocker likes this.

2. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2013
    Seattle
    Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

henryocq and Stratoskater like this.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    This makes no sense....the position of a saddle, how far forward or back it is, has no bearing on the sound - whether or not it's seated right and both height adjust screws are even or not - those things affect the tone. This is the very first time I've ever heard this, can you explain?

Artunes, HTSMetal and henryocq like this.

4. henryocq

henryocq Strat-Talk Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Surabaya,Indonesia
    Hi Percy,I’ve already back off/forward the intonation saddle it doesn’t change anything at all,this situation is really strange,I’m already say at the beginning at the post,I have already set anything up to avoid any kind of fret buzz/no sustain/dead note,I’ve tried so many ways but the low E still sounds crap

5. henryocq

Jun 10, 2013
    Surabaya,Indonesia
    The 2nd string are broke at the tuning pegs and I’ve made it to put them back with that string ball,thanks for the detail man,lol

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    A 'dead string' means one thing (as long as the string itself is not defective) to me, which is the action is too low. The string is imperceptibly brushing against the fret and killing the sustain. Not enough to be called a buzz, but it happens. Raise the saddle if you can or turn the truss a quarter turn counterclockwise if you need to add relief.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    could it be that your strings are old and dead? im racking my two brain cells and cant think of why your low e is doing this. usually we find a solution but this one has me stumped.

8. henryocq

Jun 10, 2013
    Surabaya,Indonesia
    Lol before the 2nd string broke the low E just like that :sneaky:

heltershelton likes this.

9. henryocq

Jun 10, 2013
    Surabaya,Indonesia
    I upload a video on youtube in a minute,I’ve already change low E string for the third times,I raise the saddle about 0,60/0,70 from stewmac action ruller,hear in a minute from the video,I’m so desperate,and really really thanks for you man about the understanding for the problem that I had :(

10. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    copy the url and post it here.

11. henryocq

Jun 10, 2013
    Surabaya,Indonesia

12. henryocq

Jun 10, 2013
    Surabaya,Indonesia

please help me

13. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    This is terrible fret buzz from a bad setup - string height is too low!

Can you measure from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the low E when it's not being fretted? It should be 4 or 5/64" - about 1.7 to 1.9mm

This sounds like you have it set up with like 1.2-1.5mm action like a Gibson....

How high are all of your strings at 12th and 17th fret when not being played? check between bottom of each string and top of fret - report back to us....

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The nut looks terrible. Deep and wide grooves with the strings way down at the bottom of the canyon.

HTSMetal, henryocq and carver like this.

15. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    yeah it sounds like the strings are too low.
    believe it or not, malmsteen plays with pretty high action.
    alot of people think you cant play fast with high action but thats not true.
    I dont think the guy who set it up knew what he was doing.
    watch the frudua videos. over and over if you have to.
    that guitar needs a good setup.
    I told you it would only take me ten years to do it.

16. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    G'day mate,

All Stratocaster's ( & every other guitar I've ever played ) will buzz & rattle a fair bit with new strings. I'd try playing softer, or consider trying these ideas out....

* A softer pick.
    * A thicker string gauge.
    * And should you be a regular tremolo user, ( or a heavy-handed picker ),the saddle screws at the bridge do loosen off quite frequently, lowering your action, & creating buzzing...Should this be the case, I suggest you remove each grubb-screw individually, & apply a liberal amount of automotive wheel-bearing-grease to the screws threads...This will slow down the rate of saddle movement from vibrations.

Cheers, & good luck,

Rastus

17. Frog Johnson

Frog Johnson Strat-Talker

Aug 19, 2013
    Australia
    I think its that nut (slots too deep, and too wide) and until you get that sorted, the rest of your setup is numbers don't mean a lot.
    Grab some feeler gauges and tell us what the gap between the low E and the first fret is.

Also, tying strings together is not really a thing

HTSMetal and henryocq like this.

18. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I mentioned it in the first response to the op.

Its the nut.

dead strings from 1 - 12 range, but everything rings out well past the 12th.

low nut slot.

Stratoskater, HTSMetal and henryocq like this.

19. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    How in the world can a nut affect string height of a fretted note?? I don't get the physics, can you explain please?

Is it wolf notes behind what you're playing?

20. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

yup

its all good. and its hard to explain without having a guitar in front of me to show you what Im talking about

if I was the OP, I would simply stick a little piece of paper under the low E to raise it up and see if the issue is gone.. I bet it will be.

I had a 61 Ri Gibson that had a low slot on the b string. I would constantly have to fight it to ring out properly and not "buzz" - open, and fretted. action too low and nut slot too low, open notes buzz on frets, and fretted notes buzz on both sides of the selected note.

henryocq and Guitarmageddon like this.