Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Lying is a Necessary Function

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Jan 13, 2018.

1. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Strat-O-Master

Jan 31, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    Not looking for real estate ,but I do have a bridge that would get you across that. I can do the bridge really cheap ,however the shipping is gonna hurt.

2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Schizophrenia is also an approved method of dealing with multiple realities....

3. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

nigerian prince gonne be rich meme.jpg

Radio morning show used to have a segment called Florida or Germany. They'd read an actual crime and you'd have to decide if it was Florida or Germany.

Meth, crack, heroin and weed growing were Florida, as was neglect and abuse. White supremacists and the Klan.

Germany had club drugs, dungeon sex slaves (not always adults unfortunately) and N a z i's.

Ebidis likes this.

4. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    south texas USA
    Lying, just don't do it. ENJOY!!!

ocean likes this.

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I have sometimes had to work with a lad of 14 who makes great play of the fact that he has Aspergers Syndrome, which I believe is a type of autism. I think that he leans on this diagnosis rather too much & he's convinced his parents that he needs home schooling because he finds school "difficult". I don't think he understands that many of us found school difficult at times, but it's part of the learning experience.

Anyway, one day he was struggling with a physical task (he seems very unfit) & I took pity on his & said "if anyone asks, just say that you did it, OK?" Later, his father took me to one side & told me that "Jack can't lie". He was upset that I has asked him to do so, even though I was trying to help the boy out!

I later tried to talk it through with the boy, & explain how we all have to lie sometimes, but I got nowhere. Maybe he'll understand in a few years if he finds a girl he's interested in? If his girlfriend asks him "do I look nice in this dress?" & he gives the honest answer that she doesn't, he might realise that sometimes a polite lie can be the right think to do!

6. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    I think people with Asperger’s do have great difficulty lying. Perhaps it would be better not to lie but instead tell the truth in a way that avoids answering the question directly, such as “I think you look nicer in the other dress” or “I don’t think that dress shows off your figure very well”. But maybe that’s hard as well.
    Similarly, one has to find ways to tell the boss he/she’s wrong without saying or implying that outright (e.g. what you said there just gave me an idea: what if we did it this way?)
    Sometimes little lies are necessary, but the more we can tell the truth with kindness, the better, I think.

ocean and Guy Named Sue like this.

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree with you. But I find that he tends to see everything as black & white, rather than seeing the various shades of grey that actually make up this crazy ol' world of ours. Perhaps this will change with maturity? I think he'll struggle in any job until he learns to compromise a little, not least for the reasons you state.

8. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    I hope so....but I know people who don’t have Asperger’s who still have trouble seeing shades of grey at nearly 50...

stratman323 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

9. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Not to me, I was raised by my grandparents who thought me values as "speak truth or don't speak at all", although I must admit it hasn't always helped me at being popular or move up in life.
    Being not too concerned about popularity, and being not so good at keeping my mouth shut o_O ;), has proved to be an explosive combination.

Laying down the truth/facts as I see it has caused many times 'dissatisfaction' in relationships, among friends, family, work and even on this forum.

Because of this I only have a couple of (close by) friends, but I know them for +35 years, and they're for real.

Another 'grandparent lesson', "how do you think of yourself when looking in the mirror", has made it worth while.

8T_BoCO, Guy Named Sue and Dan_Q like this.

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I tell people what they need to hear, no more, no less. Tell the truth? When it's convenient. The whole truth? Very rarely.

The watchword is expediency.

Mrs Bit's bum never looks big in anything.

stratman323 and Guy Named Sue like this.

11. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Depends on your definition of intelligence.. my teenagers must be a geniuse .

12. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    just use the Southern Ladies "My, aren't you the special one."

13. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Of course I'm not suggesting that you need to live your life as a pathological lier in order to be happy or get anywhere in your life. But to accept that lying can be a useful tool sometimes. At some degree lying proves that you have the empathy to think about what other people are feeling or thinking in order to come up with a good lie and deliver it correctly. And this is in order to deal with the challenges in social life most of the time.

Lying as a deception is like a survival instinct to some degree, like when an animal that's being threatened fakes being dead.

felis likes this.

14. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    I agree that lying is a necessity.

Sam Harris wrote a book in which he argues that we can improve our lives by the application of brutal honesty. I agree with him on a lot of issues, but not on that one.

https://www.samharris.org/lying

Guy Named Sue likes this.

15. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I can tell you about the brightness leaping from my maple necked guitars and the warmth oozing from my rosewood necked ones...Good ol marketing

Every time I cross the Brooklyn Bridge, I think about how many liars sold it and how many suckers bought it back in the day.

16. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    I really feel they should make a movie about this guy, he could manage to sell the Brooklyn bridge twice a week!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_C._Parker
    [​IMG]

albala likes this.

17. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT

"Parker had multiple methods for making his sales. When he sold Grant's Tomb, he would often pose as the general's grandson, and he set up a fake office to handle his real estate swindles. He produced convincing forged documents as evidence to suggest that he was the legal owner of whatever property he was selling."

Why haven't we seen the big-screen version....maybe I'll write it

Guy Named Sue likes this.