Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Made In Japan 93/94 Strat body woods used?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Axegrinder2018, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Axegrinder2018

Axegrinder2018 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Hi everyone, First of all i would like to say what a fantastic site this is for all things Stratocaster. A wealth of knowledge that can really assist someone like me who knows very little about Strats to buy one confidently.

I have been looking at a Mint "Made in Japan" strat that is for sale here in Australia. Serial number starting with O for 93/94 which is stamped above the neckplate and Made in Japan on the headstock (i know that much :) ) The seller says it is a very heavy guitar which is where i am concerned. I have read in other forums that some of the Japanese strats made in the 93/94 period were made of Ply or Laminate (compressed wood) and i dont think i want one of those. Is this true? Would a Ply/Laminate be very heavy?

Also do the strats of this era have decent hardware? Stamped Fender saddles?

All feedback and info is muchly appreciated.

Thank you :)

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Squiers maybe had dodgy bodies, but not the Fenders. Alder or basswood more likely, depending on the price range. Not all plywood bodies are heavy either, whatever you may have read. ;)

Pictures would help.

Axegrinder2018 likes this.
  3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I had a 1994 MIJ Squier Strat that had a plywood body along with trap tuners & cheap electronics, but I don't recall hearing of a Fender Japan body made of ply. They tended to save the cheapest stuff for the Squiers. Fender Japan were big users of basswood, probably because it was cheaper than alder.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    you should congratulate him for being so honest... but remember, in this "plague"of lightweightitus, ya gotta remember, some guys idea of a heavy guitar is actually a perfectly normal weight...

r

Rastus and Axegrinder2018 like this.
  5. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Thank you guys for your input. Mint 93/94 MIJ in hard case with extra loaded American pickguard (not sure on pickups in it?) and vintage tuners thrown in plus a gig bag for AUD $850. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Australian prices are always quite high unfortunately. No matter what the body wood, I would like to think it would at least hold its value over time. Bridge and saddles are unbranded, cheap stuff on these guitars from that period?

6. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    What model is it? It's hard impossible to judge anything without pictures.

Rastus likes this.
  7. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
  8. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    I am ready to buy a guitar and I am stuck between 2. The MIJ strat in the above link and a 2010 model FGN Neo Classic ST double humbucker model both in fantastic condition and similar money. The big problem is that they are both interstate so i can not see or play them first! Typical right.. all the nice stuff is never local! haha :( .. Which way to go I do not know?

Can anyone help :)

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Have the tuners been changed? We can't see the back of the headstock.

10. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Yo,

Just about every other day, I'm getting junk-mail from Virgin, Jetsar & Qantas offering cheap flights, usually starting from $49:00...

See if you can arrange a flight, & get picked-up by the seller ( where possible ), so you can then see the guitars in the flesh, & go-from-there...

Alternatively, every capital city has some huge music stores, especially Sydney & Melbourne, so why not check-out some of these ?...They'll have 2nd-hand instruments too...

Howorthy(?) in Sydney have a huge range of axes & deliver with warranty etc etc. Some very well priced guitars to be seen on their web-site...

The above MIJ appears to me ( guessing from the logo ) to be the Japanese production of a contemporary 1994 US-of-A Stratocaster. Price isn't too bad, but I'd like the hard-case...

Good luck, there's plenty out there to grab. Billy Hyde's in Melbourne had some great deals, though I'm not sure if they supply Fender anymore...

Cheers,

Rastus

11. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    It's not a contemporary model. I think it's an ST362. @Guitarmageddon will have an idea.

12. Axegrinder2018

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    No they are stock Gotoh tuners. Nothing has been touched, it is brand new with original manual so i am told.

13. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    I had a 1994 sunburst 60s reissue Japanese Strat that I stupidly removed the finish off of back then(I still cringe at the awful memory!!).It was Basswood...light in color with very little woodgrain compared to Alder which is redder and grainier.