Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Made in Mexico, Made in Japan

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ftgokie, May 24, 2011.

1. ftgokie

ftgokie Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2011
    Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
    Are the bodies on the Made in Mexico, and made in Japan of the same quality? I am thinking they would not be but would rather get the opinions of people that would know for sure. I have a chance to buy a MIM Strat body really cheap and I am thinking that would be a good start on building my 1st Strat. I will buy it regardless because of the price, but wanted opinions as to whether the quality of the wood and dimensions are the same.....

2. STRAT'71

STRAT'71 Senior Stratmaster

Jun 4, 2010
    BILLINGE, ENGLAND
    There are a number of different MIM Strats, so there will be variations in the pickup routing.
    Early bodies were usually made from poplar, but these days they are made from alder.
    Shape wise, MIM bodies are pretty accurate.

3. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Strat-O-Master

Nov 5, 2009
    USA
    they will both be good quality,

what I have noticed is the japan bodies have deeper contours, the mexico made are a little thicker contour.

the woods will be different, Japanese sen was used for alot of the japan guitars, like said above mexico used different woods

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ftgokie

May 17, 2011
    Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
    Thanks guys. The guy has 2 MIM Strat bodies and 1 MIJ body. he is asking 175.00 for all 3 bodies.

6. platypibri

platypibri Senior Stratmaster

Jun 30, 2009
    Riverside, CA
    Personally, if the cash was there and they were all in good shape, I'd jump at that. It's less than 60 bux a body.
    (assuming I read that right. If it's 175 per body, I'd pass on them all)

7. blackbird86

blackbird86 Strat-Talk Member

May 23, 2011
    usa
    i've always heard japanese-made guitars were nearly as good as usa-made ones and that most other makes (indonesia, china, mexico) are inferior. comes down to the quality of craftmanship i think.

8. jamesc760

jamesc760 Strat-Talker

The MIJ body will be of softer wood. I can't even screw in the back plate any more on mine. I know you can drip some thin CA in the screw holes. My MIM body never needed CA treatment.

9. ftgokie

May 17, 2011
    Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
    Brother, I would pass at 175.00 each also. They are $175.00 for all 3 of them.

I called him and I am going to pick the bodies up this evening after I get off work. He said he also has 1 set of Fender tuners he will throw in with the bodies, and if I want, he has a set of a set of fender custom shop Texas Special pickups for 85.00. So I think I will get the pickups as well. I will probably buy the necks from Warmoth to build the guitars

10. barellano

barellano Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2009
    MD
    That's a hell of a deal man, I'd be all over it.

11. ftgokie

May 17, 2011
    Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
    He is having financial problems and is selling some of his stuff. He knows I am about to learn to play and going to try and build a wanna be Strat, so he called me up last night. he has a bunch of other things I might take off his hands. I am kindof excited to build my 1st guitar and I will post pics as I do also

12. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    The only difference between the MIJ and MIM would mainly be the sunbursts. The MIJ were all solid wood and the MIM have a veneer cap. This is why you see the darker edge of a sunburst cover the belly contour on a MIM Standard's rear. If it's a MIM classic or other, it might be solid. That's a visual clue.

13. sneakypete

sneakypete Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2009
    japan
    The Japanese have used alder, ash, sen, poplar, basswood, mahogany, rosewood, walnut among others for Fender strats over the years...some are softer some are not, depends on the model.
    When I have screws that won`t tighten on a guitar any longer I stick Japanese tooth picks into the holes and snap them off....Japanese tooth picks are round not flat like the ones I used to see in Canada, they look like miniature Japanese chop sticks...anyways, snap them off inside the hold and repeat if necessary...has worked great for me.

14. LiveOak

LiveOak Senior Stratmaster

Apr 4, 2010
    Katy, TX
    +1 I have this bug to build some partscasters and that would be a great way to start, so yea, I'd definitely jump on it.

15. DosMIMstrats

DosMIMstrats Strat-Talker

Apr 30, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd jump in it to. I love Mexican strats!

16. ftgokie

May 17, 2011
    Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
    Aside from the price, what is it that you like about the Mexican Strats, as opposed to the Japanese, or American Strats?