Join Strat-Talk Today

Made in Mexico Stratocaster , really need upgrade?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SilvaStrat, Nov 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-Talker

I am becoming more savvy on guitars, I kind have a opinion formed , but I want to know , how many of you guys just buy a MX ST or TL , and are satisfied or you will not upgrade just yet , the pick ups , saddle, bridge, tuners , wiring , ho and pots , . ....
    I have a MX tele for 350 (2015), on the table right now , but I did before , bought a MX guitar , than i upgraded everything , and end up with a "MX guitar " no value added and maybe i did expend more money than a MIA
    I think i am getting ready to accept that is worth expend the extra buck on a MIA .

2. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

I've got a mexi (2012) standard that is stock and for what it is (backup) it's fine. Te only reason I see to modifying guitars is enjoying the process, otherwise just buy what you want and live with it...

GuitArcher likes this.
  3. Prasanth

Prasanth Strat-Talker

I have a MIM FSR strat. Fwiw, the pickups are the worst part of the guitar. The neck and the body's solid. I don't really have much issues with the bridge as a proper set up will almost ensure proper tuning stability. I'm planning on changing the pickups to tone rider surfaris (similar to the pups on CV50s) and maybe change the saddles and trem block too.

nuculer terrist likes this.
  4. Prasanth

Prasanth Strat-Talker

The tone riders cost 79 £ btw. That's probably the only thing you might need

nuculer terrist likes this.
  5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

Still have my 2006 mim standard, granted it has lots of mods to suit me, But, I'd say most swap the pups, and I always swap the output jack for a switchcraft..Depends on your needs, I'm sure there are a lot of mim's out there bone stock.

The Strat Dude likes this.
  6. Highwaystrat

Highwaystrat Senior Stratmaster

Both the MIM and MIA strats are just fine they way they are, but they need a good setup and going over for best performance.

There's nothing wrong with swapping parts, as long as you haven't really spent too much money on that model. Like it wouldn't make sense to buy a Squier and put MIA neck on it, that's an unusual costly mod, where for a little more money you can get a better body.

So hte way I see it, I see models that are cool and are close to what I like, like a Fender Highway one,
    then I see guitars as a sum of parts that only are an instrument once complete are setup.

So I mainly look for a neck that is suitable, neck shape, 22 frets, maple fingerboard with gloss finish ect..
    then I look for a body compatible that's a color I like. Then I slap on a high quality bridge so he tremolo arm doesn't have a lot of play. Then I'll make a homemade pickguard that has the volume knob out of the way cuz I like it like that, n I'll probably put some noiseless single coils in there, then I'll slap on some split shaft tuners, then I'll make a nut for the neck, and to a fret level, and one hell of a good full complete setup, then it becomes an guitars, then I give it a name!

Some advice-you want the neck and body to be a very good fit.

But if you see a guitar for sale that is already right for you, then go for it. If the neck is comfy and the neck and body are a good fit, then it has a lot of potential, considering it doesn't need a refret ect. Then you can always 'customize' it to your liking.

My second electric guitar was a 06 highwayone strat, it had the color and finish I like, pickups and greasebucket tone system were good, and at the time I liked the neck. So that guitar was fine stock. But I eventually put a different neck on it, and now it is completely customized because the body is so nice.

They are all parts until they become a playable instrument.

7. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Just buy the guitar that sounds/feels how you want rather than a project.

It is often cheaper to buy a more expensive guitar to start with as I believe you are finding out.

Thrup'ny Bit and henderman like this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I recently bought a new MIM Fender vintage style neck (7.25 radius, 21 frets...) that is surprisingly well made and detailed. Especially since it sells for less than half what the next step up sells for. It feels right and does what it's supposed to do.

rbspql likes this.
  9. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

yes and no and I'll explain.
    yes - because some people think so.
    no - because some people think so.

I think no.
    :)

newplayeroldguy likes this.
  10. Highwaystrat

Highwaystrat Senior Stratmaster

The way I see it is either end up with a guitar with the specs you really like depending on your needs, or have someone build you a guitar, which would be great but can be like 4x more expensive. My latest guitar is a squier deluxe neck on a gfs body, I have like $300 invested, I already had the other parts though.

I wouldn't call it a 'project'. It's 'whitey'. It was very fun to put together. But it just got a little fret sprout from being in the trunk of my car!
    IMG_20160727_193618448.jpg

11. Lazar

Lazar Strat-Talk Member

My policy is: basic setup and new strings, playing for six months or so and then deicide if the guitar is somewhere lacking.

12. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

That is a great policy!

to answer the OP,

I think a lot of us change parts for the joy of it. Not to add extra resale value.

There are a lot of nuances that be brought to a guitar with aftermarket parts, and most of these options are not offered by the guitar brands.

That said, electronics is one of the corners most big brands cut cost on. That and the finish. I've seen quite a few late 1990s and 2000s guitars where the lacquer is cracking off in big chunks. These among the low and mid priced Fender and Gretsch guitars (same owner). Probably a thing with other brands too.

There is a flood of used Fenders on the SH market, MIAs included.

13. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Take a look at the MIM Classic Player Strats. I am selling one here in the Classifieds, but only because I don't need it - they are KILLER guitars that were designed by the Custom Shop and need NOTHING. Plug and play and get a high-end experience for reasonable $.

tery, amstratnut, Willie D and 2 others like this.
  14. Ramon Malone

Ramon Malone Strat-Talk Member

+1 on Classic Series and CP models. Great guitars right out of the box. Very sweet and classic sounding pickups in the Classic Series 50s. Wouldn't change a thing on mine.

rbspql likes this.
  15. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster

I have a 2016 MIM HSS. I love it, everyone that has tried it loves it. There's no reason for me to upgrade that I can think of.

TSims1 likes this.
  16. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I can (and have done) play a bone stock MIM Strat without any qualms whatsoever. They are perfectly viable good quality guitars right off the rack (other than a setup). I also have a MIA that I have done nothing to other than a setup.

17. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Just add TexMex pickups and maybe a new volume pot and away you go for appx 100 bucks (plus the cost of the MIM strat) maybe less if you find a deal..

18. Strums

Strums Strat-Talker

Bought a new 2014 MIM Standard a couple years ago. I only changed tuners because the stockers were notchy, not smooth when turning. The rest is stock and will stay like that. It is set up exactly how I like it and it's a keeper. It's much more capable than my playing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  19. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

On a stock MIM Standard all I'd change is the pickups. On a Classic or Classic Player, I wouldn't even bother with that. I would give any of the above my usual tweak, which is to replace one of the pots with a pull/push switch to get all the pickup combinations - but then I'd do that on any Strat.

20. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I have a 2004 MIM Strat, and I just upgraded a couple of the pickups. Later I replaced the tuners with a set of locking tuners. Currently I have a different set of pickups & electronics in it. Otherwise I think everything else is okay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.