Join Strat-Talk Today

Magnet bevel on 57/62..realistic?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by kris ford, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Why is anyone worried about this?

Chont and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

I've read that the original purpose of the bevel was to make it easier to press the flat work over the tops of the pole pieces, so not much bevel would have been needed, but since it was done by hand, I'd guess that some employees were more aggressive with it than others.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  3. Antigua

You'd think Fender would know the history of their own products, seeing as how they've been selling "pure vintage" this "reissue" that, and yet people who study this stuff apparently find inaccuracies left and right.

4. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

Whatever they look like, they are the best pickup in the Fender range for the money IMHO and some of the best available from any company today.

Antigua likes this.
  5. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

@Antigua , so if I like the specs of the 57/62, and the polepiece bevel is the only difference, (from what I've read on your comments on other threads), would the PV59 set be a good choice? Or since I run them into a boosted Marshall, maybe the PV65? Or even CS69s?? (Going for 70's hard rock tone)

(Also, OT side note..I did clip the ground wire and remove the copper shielding from the SC101 set in my VM70s, and it sure did make a difference! WAY more stratty! They are a good hard rock pickup IMHO)

6. Antigua

The CS 69 has a lower inductance than the PV 59 or the 57/62. As for hard rock, it's hard to say. When hard rockers used Strats, they generally used stock pickups, and as a matter of revisionist history people will pretend they used something special or custom, and then pickup makers will try to use that as a basis to sell custom pickups that never previously existed, and have no basis in reality. Texas Specials started a long lived trend of people thinking Strat pickups have to be over-wound to sound good for blues, but those genres were all recorded with stock pickups as well. So I'd say use 57/62's for hard rock if you even want to use a Strat to begin with, but perhaps wire a tone control to the bridge so that you don't have to fight with it further down the signal chain. It basically makes the bridge pickup work and sound a bit more like a Tele bridge, which is another guitar that has been used a lot in hard rock.

Andrew Wasson and kris ford like this.
  7. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

Right, I've always been a proponent of stock pickups and rarely if ever change them out, but on putting a partscaster together, I get overloaded on info and specs..and mainly CHOICES! My original plan was to just buy a loaded 70's Classic Series guard, as I like the pickups in my '16 70's Classic Series and pretty much every one I've ever heard or owned, but really don't want to have the exact same thing in 2 guitars..

So looks like it may be down to PV65s or 57/62s..(I looked at other companies..but will stick to Fender on this one..)

8. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I always thought the bevel on the post 1998 57/62 pickup was a bit exaggerated compared to real a pre CBS era Strat pickup but I don't care because they are some of my favourite pickups Fender makes for Strats.I have installed them in several Strats as well as owning several 62 AVRIs.

kris ford likes this.
  9. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The PV65's IMO would nail that 70's you are looking for.

They have a beautiful "present" but not harsh midrange to them, while still retaining the highs and lows of the others, and are still firmly seated in the vintage spec zone.

kris ford likes this.
  10. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

Right on. Does sound like a good choice..I'd mate those to CTS250K pots, and a CRL switch.

BUT..I'm still not opposed to the loaded 70's RI guard either..saves some time and labor LOL..and mostly $$..as even those wouldn't be *exactly* the same pickups as the ones in my 16..but would love the 65s asw well..110 for just those, and then I have to get a 70's countersunk guard and the pots and switch still, then wire it up..(it's like $160 ish to do that)

Next question is and maybe @Antigua could help, is how does the 70's Classic series pickups compare to the 57/62s or the PV65/CS69s..knowing full well about the plastic bobbins...is there 60 bucks difference? If so, then I have more thinking to do!

I COULD swap guards to get the countersunk one from my '16 70's Classic, and use the post '74/modern guard on it, with the dome head screws, and have a mid 70's look, (which would actually be kinda cool, hell, I even have cast saddles for it!) then use that 70's style guard with the countersunk screws and 65s for my 71 inspired parts-o-caster, I did some crunching and can make it happen for $140ish..so now it's a matter of 40 bucks..thinking it may be worth it to drop the 40 and have the PV65s..(plus I LOVE building loaded guards!)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  11. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

FSR '62 am vintage.
    IMG_5233.jpg IMG_5235.jpg IMG_5234.jpg

kris ford likes this.
  12. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

And though SRV believed that the pups in #1 were overwound, later analysis after his death found that they were actually underwound compared to what would have been expected for the year they were produced.

13. Antigua

I analyzed a set of the Classic 70's http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/mexican-fender-alnico-plastic-pickup-analysis.501931/ , basically the same as 57/62's, maybe a little closer to CS 69's, but with a much higher capacitance than either, around 200pF, either because they're tightly wound, or the wire has a thinner build. All of the American made Fender pickups tend to have a lower capacitance, closer to 100pF.

The PV 65 set I got had higher inductances http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/fender-pure-vintage-65-analysis-and-review.402766/ , they're more in the area of SSL-1s or Fat 50's. If I were you I'd just order 57/62's or PV 59's for a new guitar.

The Fender offerings are all so close that one can easily sound like the other, but IME, the further I get from the ideal 2.2H, 100pF Strat pickup, the more likely it is I will have to fight with the pickup. I think I, and most people, are just used to hearing stock Strats on recordings, and for as much as we might want to talk about being unique and original, we just end up twiddling the knobs until we end up with that familiar Strat sound. For example, people with Texas Specials talk about having to lower the pickups to get them to sound right, or people with CS 69's end up pairing them with a mid boost, just to get back to center. I like variety, but "dead center" puts up the least resistance in the long run.

kris ford and CB91710 like this.
  14. inra311

inra311 Strat-Talker

A well-known pickup maker told me that a stronger bevel focusses the magnet field more towards the top, so it is possibly not only a cosmetic difference.

15. Antigua

It's not an audible difference. The width of the magnetic field can cause comb filtering, but at these narrow widths, it occurs beyond 5kHz, which is outside of the operating range of passive Strat pickups.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  16. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

Good info!

Yep, a straight up the middle, no denying it's a strat tone is what I definitely want. (regardless of the 70's aesthetics)

17. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

@Antigua Looks like I can score a PV59 set for 11 bucks less than the cheapest 57/62 set online..and since the only difference is the pole bevel..(as I've read from your posts), I think that's what I'm gonna get.

Thank you and everyone for answering my questions and helping out!

18. inra311

inra311 Strat-Talker

I guess capacity difference comes mainly from the different insulations, like formvar, plain enamel, poly, and such. Probably rather from the thickness than from the material itself (each has a particular 'dialectric constant' but I'd think this will only result in small differences). However, the thickness seems to vary widely, e.g. the 'heavy' in Fender's 'heavy formvar' stands for double-coated formvar which is much thicker, the 'plain' in 'plain enamel' stands for single-coated.

Antigua likes this.
  19. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Strat-Talker

I had a AVRI 62 strat that I was forced to part with. Loved the 57/62 pups.
    I have a set of Abby initialed CS69s and I'm not as fond of them.
    I think I'm gonna have to source a set of the 57/62's. To my ear they just had "that" tone.

kris ford likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.