Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Major Scales, Modes and the Fretboard...

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by AxemanVR, Oct 3, 2018.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA

I especially agree with his more free form style of creating melodies and harmonies that are not wholly restrained by traditional diatonic boundaries.

In fact, I have been supporting this musical philosophy for decades - although I have to admit that it comes more from the likes of Keith Emerson and Steve Hackett than Paul Hindemith...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    davidKOS likes this.

2. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Like you, we ran across this stuff when we were young teenage Yes, ELP, 5-man Genesis, Zappa, etc. fans too.

Then I had a college theory teacher that really got me serious about it.

"melodies and harmonies that are not wholly restrained by traditional diatonic boundaries"

Yet when you really learn the Hindemith system of harmony, you can analyze traditional harmonic material as well as "modern" harmonies. The system is based on degrees of consonance and dissonance between intervals in the melodies and harmonies themselves.

3. AxemanVR

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    `
    My college theory teacher was definitely "old school". In fact he even once proclaimed that nothing in the 20th century was worth his time to listen to! And he was always playing some dreary classical piece at the beginning of each class as the students shuffled in.

Despite challenging him on his views I still managed to ace that course, so he was at least both fair and close minded...

`

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    JustABluesGuy and davidKOS like this.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i bet he secretly listened to madonna.

5. AxemanVR

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    `
    Probably dressed like her too... :D

That said, he was an expert on traditional music structure and taught it well, so I owe him much credit for that... :thumb:

`

davidKOS and heltershelton like this.

6. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Our teacher was as into Hindemith, Stravinsky, Bartok, Nielsen, Barber, Copeland, et al, as much as he was into Bach and Beethoven and Mozart and Handel and Haydn.

But he did not like rock...although he did enjoy us playing all of side one of "Close to the Edge" to him once. He said simply, "uh, that is good".

BTW, he was Jerry Sieg - some articles about him:

https://aquila.usm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2031&context=dissertations

https://aquila.usm.edu/dissertations/1000/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jerry-sieg-83441729/

https://africanamericangolfersdigest.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/jerry-sieg/

In 1978 Sieg was employed by the University of New Orleans’ Department of Music and taught at UNO until his retirement in May, 2010.

[​IMG]

AxemanVR likes this.

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Relative Modes

Signal Music Studio you tube channel

A short but informative video:thumb:Modal colors

gwjensen, AxemanVR and JustABluesGuy like this.

8. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    This is an excellent demonstration. It should help some folks understand how modes work. Understanding this principle of the “tonal center” was when the concept of modes finally clicked for me.

I don’t remember the exact video that did it for me, but the instructor droned the open e string and then showed how the modes sounded “against” that tonal center and I had that aha! moment.

It was the first time I remember someone actually mentioning the tonal center and then demonstrate it clearly. Others talked about emphasizing different notes of the scale and such, but didn’t make the connection for me.

I was already aware that one could play the same notes as e minor pentatonic over a G major progression and it would suddenly sound major, so I was primed for it to click with the major scale modes once presented this way.

Now I need figure out how to actually work this “book knowledge” into my playing!

gwjensen and Percy like this.

9. AxemanVR

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    Excellent presentation. Thanks for the post @Percy!

This is also why I suggested recording chords and playing different modes over them to get a better feel of how each mode may sound while doing so...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    Percy likes this.