Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Malmsteen and Blackmore neck thickness?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by klobasa, Jan 2, 2018.

1. klobasa

klobasa Strat-Talk Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Europe
    Are there differences in neck thickness between Malmsteen models? Based on web info, the shape is "modern c" and all guitars with that profile have had a quite thin neck. Malmsteen also?

Blackmore liked thick necks, but the one signature I have tried had very thin neck. Not too accurate representation of the real deal. Also all of the early 70's strats that I have tried had nice round medium thick profiles.

Any scalloped necks that would be at least "medium" in thickness? I am not looking for a baseball bat, but modern c does not work for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    The Malmsteen signature spec is a modern C but the depth (thickness) of the neck at the nut is a little larger than most modern C profiles.

Although each neck will have variances from guitar to guitar, one specific example I found lists the depth of the neck at the nut at .880. That's teetering on large by most accounts. However, the taper is rather small. At the 12th fret the depth is .940 so it's a pretty even neck profile for the most part.

Again, I'm sure these will differ slightly from guitar to guitar.

Unfortunately I can't help you regarding the Blackmore signature Strat.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. klobasa

klobasa Strat-Talk Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Europe
    Thanks Murphcaster.

Anyone know if the neck thickness are generally different between those three versions of Malmsteen strats?

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    ive only played one malmsteen model.....the first one, and i didnt notice any crazy difference in the neck other than it being scalloped. i do remember it was really comfortable and i didnt want to put it down.