Join Strat-Talk Today

Maple Fretboards

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JCreasy, Apr 13, 2019.

1. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

" Looks nice " he said , " I would put a rosewood neck on that " just as he left the room.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  2. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I think it may be the other way around. But a Fender maple fretboard loving heathen is exactly the RIGHT kind of heathen to be... I always thought rosewood was a little tooooo civilized for a Strat or Tele. Now I have two Fenders, one with maple and one with rosewood and I love them both. Even tried to swap out the neck with rosewood for one with maple and didn't like the guitar as much that way, so I put the original back on. But I still, deep down, think Fenders are supposed to have maple fretboards...

JACKRUSELL and Fuggle like this.
  3. JACKRUSELL

JACKRUSELL Strat-Talker

I used to be only rosewood guy but then i spent a few days with a borrowed maple necked...sticky?NO
    Hard feel on the fingers? No
    too snappy ?NO

Less fretbuzz?YES
    lower action YES
    sexy? YES
    Better looking with leather pants and spikeď belts(add a perfecto jacket just in case) YYYYEEEEESSSSS

Andrew Wasson and kris ford like this.
  4. JCreasy

JCreasy Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for feedback. The reference to the Perfecto cracked me up! Why less fret buzz and lower action? Seems to be a set-up issue. I also play Ricks with finished necks, and never really had the "... sticky" issue. Cleaned up last night and off for set-up because I never learned to do those very well. Will report back when done.

JACKRUSELL likes this.
  5. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

JKC, Congrats!

If there ever was a guitar that was made to look like a one-piece body, you have it in those photos!

Wow, just wow! :)

6. Stark

Stark Haunted by the ghost of Albert King Strat-Talk Supporter

Man, your guitar is BEAUTIFUL!!!

7. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

I don’t usually go for natural, clear finish Stratocaster’s but wow! ...That’s a really nice American Standard. I would happily play that guitar for as long as I was able. Congrats on such a nice guitar.

8. JACKRUSELL

JACKRUSELL Strat-Talker

Seems like the maple kills some of the fretbuzz at leas that how u hear it and i just manage to get lower action om maple strats i dont know why.Maybe its the feel on the fingers that helps fretting with just the right amount of pressure

9. JCreasy

JackRusell, thanks for clarifying. After the one piece comment, I got home from work, took it out and looked closely, the seam is just to the bass side of the end pin and barely visible up close. What is weird is that I am certain it is the same piece of timber and the amount cut out must have been very small. The grain lines match up on the face, as you can see, and on the butt end of the guitar. Weird. I thought the reason for 2 pieces was to maximize timber and/or minimize warp.

JKC

10. JCreasy

Guitar has now been set-up and pick-guard changed. Chome knobs or not? Took it to rehearsal last night and loved it! Very close second to my Shoreline Gold.

IMG_1086 (1).JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  11. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

I have five Fenders at the moment and all of them (with the exception of a 1960 Musicmaster) have maple fretboards.

12. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice guitar! Fender's are made to be played, my friend. Every time someone buys one as an investment, or museum piece, they say you can hear a slight rotating sound near Leo's grave. :sneaky:

13. simoncroft

Mummy! My eyes sting! :D:D:D

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  14. JCreasy

"Eyes Sting" I suppose is slang for a good thing or a slam for it being too ugly to behold?

15. simoncroft

I'm only joking. It's your guitar and you can do what the heck you want with it. It's not a guard for people who don't want to dazzle their audience, shall we agree? :sneaky:

The "my eyes sting" thing is actually the punchline from a Simpsons video. I think it's something to do with having a swimming pool in the back garder, but I can't really remember.

16. JCreasy

No offense taken. I actually think it is funny. I'll use it, but I'll make sure and drop a footnote when I do. Yes, agree on dazzle! I plan on playing it out and meant to draw attention because our band is kinda rowdy (in a good way)! My favorite Simpson quote is Homer grousing about getting dressed up for something and he grumbles: "Stupid, itchy Church pants!" Way off topic, but thanks for the quip.

JKC

17. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

I think that was “ouch my eyes” or “ow my eyes” or something. I can’t remember the episode but I borrow that one too.

simoncroft likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.