Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Marshall Mini Stack

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Leedsoronto, May 15, 2018.

1. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I have the combo version. The clean is o.k. the od aint worth $#!+

2. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    The cabs are real birch wood and made the same way as the big ones. 10" Celestion speakers (good at up to higher volume, bad at fully cranked).
    The clean sound is really good and the overdrive is good if you don´t overdo it - good crunch and HardRock sound. Full gain sounds buzzy on those amps. The amp with both cabs (you have to use both) has a good amount of low end.
    The sound is Marshall if you don´t overdo the gain and roll back treble.
    Of course it is an overdrive pedal with a power amp attached like all the solid state Marshalls.
    It is fun to play and useful as a practise amp. You can use the cabs for other things.
    I sometimes play my ENGL 530 preamp into both cabs stereo - that combination really rocks (it has a built in 3W stereo power stage).
    Using the head with a 4x12 sounds good too but you have to dial the treble and presence way down.

All the best,
    Robin

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    TheDuck and Leedsoronto like this.
  3. Leedsoronto

Leedsoronto Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2017
    Toronto
    Thanks

Appears to be split decision on this little amp, some love it some hate it.

4. Leedsoronto

Leedsoronto Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2017
    Toronto
    I seen they also make a CFX with effects built in. Pricey tho at $740 new

5. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Can you order one from a US retailer and have it shipped? I would think that would save you a substantial amount of money.

It is what it is. If someone expects it to be a JCM stack, well, they will be disappointed. If taken in context for what it is, its a fairly inexpensive way to get the Marshall tone into your bedroom or basement.

Using it with a modeler though, thats a bad idea. The modeler will kill the Marshalls tone, and vice versa.
    For best results, modelers should be used with monitors, or at least a flat response speaker like a keyboard amp.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Stratoskater likes this.
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I never played one.
    I don't know how they sound.
    Honestly tho, I'd love to have one.
    They just look so dam cool.

Leedsoronto and TheDuck like this.
  7. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
  8. Eyesenish

Eyesenish Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada,Qc,Rigaud
    i would want one just for the mini cabs so i can use my jvm1h on

Robins likes this.
  9. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Someone gave me one of those, in red even. I found it was good for stacking other things on. I passed it on to charity when the novelty wore off.

derf.jpg

(See also: Monty Pythons' Royal Society for Putting Things on top of Other Things.)

fattboyzz and Stratoskater like this.
  10. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    This....

The MGs got a lot of crap in their day....

Highgain is alright pretty decent hard rock and blues tones all around.

Decent amp.

Not compleye garbage. Id take one over a Katana.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  11. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I'd take a Boss Katana 50W over that for less price

Bob the builder likes this.
  12. Leedsoronto

Leedsoronto Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2017
    Toronto
    Thanks Duck. I have already bid 300 for the one at370 but he no do, 370 is just too much for a Gimick amp.

TheDuck likes this.
  13. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    I have (I think) one of exactly what is in your OP pic. Mine is a MG15HFX.
    Take everything I say with a grain of salt because I'm not a very good guitar player, and I don't have the developed ear that many of the other folks here have.

I think you're getting mixed reviews, because those amps are both awesome and stupid at the same time (don't forget that I said "awesome" just because the last thing I said was "stupid").

They're awesome because they have a better form-factor (in my opinion) than any other living-room type amp, they sound pretty good, and they have a great speaker arrangement- far better than anything else you're going to find in that class.

The geometry is perfect for a living-room guitar amp. The footprint is relatively small, and it doesn't matter if you prefer to play standing or sitting, the controls are all in the perfect spot for some short-cord practicing. They look really cool, and, if "rock" fits your decor, they're a really fitting piece of furniture. Moreso, if you leave it plugged into a passive-pup'ed guitar on a stand, you are literally one switch-flip away from being able to play a decent sounding electric rig- and it looks enticing just sitting there.

More importantly, the circuit is great. The cleans are pretty good, the gain is pretty reactive to what you dial in, and you have a passable reverb, chorus, flanger and phaser, on-dial, that don't require a refresh of the user manual to use.

AND!!! It's two 1x10s- a freaking awesome speaker arrangement. It's more square-inches of cone than a 1x12, and damned-near as much as a 1x15. And you have two separate drivers!! Now, I'm no rocket-surgeon, and I can't even begin to 'splain the Science behind why 2x 1x10s sounds so awesome, but it does. It sounds awesome. Think about the speaker arrangement packaged with most other 15w SS amps...

...and that's kinda what makes it stupid at the same time. A 1x12 SS amp is usually going to have 100, or at least 50w feeding it. This thing is 15w, and it has almost as much cone real-estate as a 1x15".

I happen to live in a situation where volume is no object, other than my own comfort and aural health. Even though I sound terrible wearing a guitar, I'm allowed to play it as loud as I like. Given my professional background, I'm fairly sensitive to maintaining what little hearing I have left, but gain-driven power chords are, generally speaking, my musical vocabulary, and a 15w SS amp trying to move enough air to suit my brutish sensibilities sounds like a bag of smashed up B-holes.

So much speaker, so little power...
    What's up widdat?

Synopsis: WHY, in the name of all that doesn't suck, IS THIS THING ONLY 15w????!?

*** your playing situation and skill level may totally negate my opinion. These opinions may be void, and not even legal in your State***

14. Leedsoronto

Leedsoronto Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2017
    Toronto
    Thanks Gun Monkey

I have been offered a half stack G100 for 200 Canadian so I am going for that. I am buying for 50% looks and 50% playability and a half stack fits my gap I need to fill. Lol. Like a usable piece of art if u will. Totally impractical for home use I know, but WTF I just smile looking at a Marshall stack

Least if I don’t like what I buy I can resell for little loss. The 15w MS are just priced too high for my liking. Hence why I have held off buying.

If one came up for 200$ I would have one now !!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    GunMonkeyINTL and Stratoskater like this.
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    50 Watt Quarter Stack is where it's at man!

Friedman3.jpg

16. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talk Member

Feb 14, 2018
    North Carolina
    I have one of the lead 12 micro stacks. Bought it new in 86. Great amp, real Marshall sound. Have not played the 15 watt version but if it is at all like the original ones you should be very happy.

Grux likes this.
  17. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Not even remotely close to the Lead 12. The lead 12 was one of the best SS amps ever made. This is part of the MG line that is no where near comparable and IMO and many others sounds sterile and lifeless. Also the OP did not buy it. He got the G100 Half Stack which is 100 watt head and 4x12 cab!:eek:

Leedsoronto and Grux like this.
  18. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    I had a lead 12 micro stack (model 3005 I think) from the late 80's and the think flat out Rawked through a 4x12 cab. Real marshal tone in an analog solid state amp, made in the UK like every good Marshall. Did plexi sounds very well, and close to Jcm territory.

I sold the head on Ebay this year for $150, and it was worth every penny. Be great for a studio, pretty sure Billy Gibbons used that same model on "eliminator."

19. Leedsoronto

Leedsoronto Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2017
    Toronto
    I eventually had an offer accepted I couldn’t refuse, on this 1/2 stack

Attached Files: