Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Martin DX1 - Anyone? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by gofmusic, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    They sound darn good.

circles and gofmusic like this.
  2. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Is that a dreadnought JR? :)

3. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I have one, and love it, the older one without fret markers on top, (they're on the side though, albeit small, if you need them). Paid a little under $500 for it some years ago, on sale at a Guitar Center store, after playing nearly every acoustic in their acoustic room, killing time over 2-3 hrs., some slow afternoon. Awesome sounding and playing guitar period. Then there's the price, great deal in my book. Mine is an acoustic/electric, and I've played it onstage in the past, as well as with friends, etc.. Seriously, no b.s., in my experience, every player hearing or playing it always loves the sound and playability of mine. On a little side note, one little feature I like is the small tone and volume wheels, hidden just inside the sound hole. It looks like a regular dreadnaught, and players don't notice that it's acoustic/electric unless I'm plugged in, they're surprised if I tell them. The plug in jack hole, is subtley combined with the rear strap button, and is one unit.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    circles and gofmusic like this.
  4. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2010
    Piscataway, NJ
    yes I realized that, my mistake!!!

5. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    I tried it out on the store yesterday, I tried several guitars, 2 Martins.

DX1AE
    [​IMG]
    GPCX2AE
    [​IMG]

Out of the 2, to my surprise, the second one gave me a warmer and fuller tone than the dreadnought. Necks were comfortable but not as comfy as my Taylors (i also tried one exactly like mine in the shop for comparisons sake).

Things is those guitars look and feel way cheaper than they should at that price point at this time of history IMHO. The rosette is so darn cheap looking it was shocking. Plus no binding whatsoever, satin finish, felt like an unfinished guitar, like a guitar they didnt finish building.

That said,
    They sound good, didnt blow me away, but they have the Martin sound. I expected more out of the D model for some reason, if I had to pick one id go for the GPCX2AE but Im not really sure. Probably gonna try to get another one I like better in the used market...

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    Do this for sure. For not much more (probably the same cost as the GPC2XAE) you can get a used Solid top and Solid Back and Sides USA made 15 series. If you want the dread get a D -15 if you want a smaller body get the 000 -15 plus their mahogany and sound freaking incredible!

7. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Yeah, I was thinking about the D15 too. Also the back and sides of these not only wasnt wood, but didnt feel or looked like wood... was like a plastic of some kind...

Stratoskater likes this.
  8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    Yeah as much of a huge Martin fan as I am I really do not like that HPL stuff they use for their lower priced guitars. The 15 series are awesome. Bob Dylan used to play a 00-15 a lot back in the day. the whole 15 series are just plain awesome guitars for not a lot of money.