Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Marty Schwartz

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by nhsdpl, Jan 13, 2013.

1. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    I have just downloaded another of Marty's free lessons and it got me wondering does he make any money from all the free lessons he does, or are they just there to increase his exposure and hopefully get people to buy the premium lessons.

Cheers.

2. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    Very inspirational guy! His website is found via google-with tons of 'free' links on the right side of the home page. If there's any charge for his lessons, I didn't see it on there. :mrgreen:

3. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2010
    Tokyo
    never heard of the guy. had a look at some of his 800+ videos. thanks for the info.

4. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    If you subscribe to his website and get the emails, every email will have a long pitch to buy a video or dvd of some type or another. I was on the list for a while and got tired of all of what I considered voluntary spam. I unsubscribed. I never had time to even look at the samples of 90% of the things he was saying to go look at.

Talented guy with lots of energy, for sure.

5. premgem

premgem Senior Stratmaster

Jun 5, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have been playing for a long time and I still like watching Marty's videos. He is a very good teacher and funny and I have learned quite a few things from him. I like that he doesn't take himself too seriously like others giving lesson on YT.

I think he gets some revenue from the ads on his Youtube videos and yes, I would say the free lessons are enticement to subscribe to his premium lessons and sell his DVD's

6. xoso

xoso Senior Stratmaster

May 7, 2012
    Birmingham UK
    Takented guy but I get tired of all the incessant marketing.

I've bought a few DVD's of his and I've bought a few of Dan Denley's and David Taub's at Next Level Guitar and a few others. They are all affiliated to each other so I don't just get one email I get dozens from the whole group everytime one of them releases a DVD.

This is how it goes.

Marty will relase a DVD and I'll get a two foot long email from him explaining how its the best thing he's ever done since the last best thing he ever did.

Then I'll get a similar length email from Dan Denley telling me his very good friend Marty has just released an amazing DVD

And then I'll get a similar one from David Taub

And several others will also chime in.

A couple of days later they will all email me to say they've had a problem with their email and they're not sure whether I got the first email about Martys amazing DVD so they'll send it again

About three days later they will all say hello again to tell me the DVD is selling like wildfire.

After a couple of days rest I'll get the FINAL NOTICE email that the offer is about to close. FINAL NOTICE will always be in upper case in the subject line to signify it is as important as my house being repossessed.

A few days after the FINAL NOTICE i'll get a second chance offer because 'they feel bad that some people were on holiday and missed out on this opportunity of a lifetime'. These guys seems to particulalry like natural disasters. Whenever a hurricane whips through it gives them a chance to send out second chance offers almost ad infinitum.

When all of those have failed you might get an email along the lines of 'I'VE GOOFED'. Dan Denly is particularly good at this. He'll explain that he really did only have 143 copies avaialble and they all sold out in the first two days but what sometimes happens is they get duplicate orders because people click the purchase button twice and he miraculously still has a few copies left.

And on it goes......

I've bought DVDs off all the guys in the past, and yeah most have them have been worthwhile but I won't buy anything off any of them anymore because I just get ticked off at being treated like an idiot.

7. justneal

justneal Strat-Talk Member

Oct 11, 2012
    ontario canada
    there is also youtube profit sharing, so he does make money off the videos seen on there

8. nhsdpl

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    Thanks Xoso, if I had had to have a guess I would have thought that was probably how it worked, now I don't feel so bad about only using the free stuff. Cheers.

9. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Banned

May 6, 2012
    America
    You should check out Anthony Stauffer's DVD's.

10. MEXbluesGUY

MEXbluesGUY Senior Stratmaster

Aug 25, 2014
    New Yoke
    Something about the dude that makes me want to punch him

11. xoso

xoso Senior Stratmaster

May 7, 2012
    Birmingham UK
    +1 for for Anthony Stauffer (Stevie Snacks) and also Robert Renman (Dolphin Street). Anthony doesn't give a lot of stuff away but his instruction on SRV style is top notch and you don't get bombarded with emails by him after you've bought a CD. Robert Renman is nothing short of a saint - virtually all the stuff he does is free. I've got a lot of time for Griff Hamlin (Blues Guitar unleashed) as well. he dabbles a little bit in the affiliation game and will occasionally recommend Martys DVDs but he doesn't pester you and strikes me as a genuine good guy. I'm not saying the others aren't but they seem to me to be marketers first and guitar teachers second.

12. Barabus

Barabus Strat-Talk Member

Dec 23, 2012
    UK
    LOL I understand, I get emails from marty, Griff hamlin and Claude Johnson, I also have his dvds. I stick all their respective emails in folders and never look at them, guess i'm just a hoarder :D But i guess we could always unsubscribe :p

13. xoso

xoso Senior Stratmaster

May 7, 2012
    Birmingham UK
    Yeah Griff sends out a ton of emails but in fairness to him he is only occiasionally trying to sell stuff. Very often there is a free lesson attached to his. I don't know why, somehow he just doesn't tick me off like all the others.

14. Lightnin'

Lightnin' Banned

May 6, 2012
    America
    Anthony Stauffer's free lessons has helped me a lot. He's a super nice guy. I've taked to him via email about other things besides guitar. He always responds back and is very encouraging on what he has to say.

15. Barabus

Barabus Strat-Talk Member

Dec 23, 2012
    UK
    I think they're probably all good fellas just trying to make a living, can't knock 'em for that. Justin sandacre another good one.

16. nhsdpl

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    I am familiar with all the guys you have mentioned with the exception of Claude Johnson. Griff Hamlins "Stormy Monday Changes" is probably my favorite of all the YT vids I have downloaded, Steviesnacks, while I can see he is a really great guitar player, that over head camera angle he uses is really disconcerting, too much of that and I start to feel seasick. I am a big fan of Lick Library dvd's, especially the Quick Licks series, the two Jimmie Page and the Eric Clapton dvd's are excellent. Cheers.

17. NorthShore

NorthShore Senior Stratmaster

Marty and David Taub share the same internet marketing guru, Tim Gilberg. Pretty sure that's the guy that manages the email list and probably writes the emails.

He monetizes the business by selling DVDs and website subscriptions, and YouTube kickbacks.

He's the primary reason that I didn't quit guitar after first picking it up 3 years ago. Great lessons, great teaching style, and anybody who can make me stick with something is a saint in my book.

To manage the spam (which isn't really that bad...have you ever subscribed to the Martin guitar online store? two emails A DAY, ferchrissakes....), I just wrote an email filter that moves them into a folder, which I read/purge periodically.

18. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 8, 2010
    Florida
    Totally agree, cannot understand the hate.

Marty is not my cup of tea, but he offers a decent service while doing what he loves to do, and on top of that Youtube (or whoever) is giving him $$$ for it.

Sounds pretty cool to me.

19. xoso

xoso Senior Stratmaster

May 7, 2012
    Birmingham UK
    Where's the hate?

All I said was his incessant marketing techniques tick me off. I never said anything personal about the guy. Don't attribute things to people that they are not guilty of.

20. nhsdpl

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    No hate here, I was just curious as to whether he made any money out of all the free stuff he does. I don't know anything about video recording and editing, but I assume it would take up a fair amount of his time. He's got some nice gear, the vids are always professionally done and he's got a prosperous look about him, so I guessed he was doing O.K. Cheers.