Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Meditation

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Are you able to just sit down , relax and think about nothing? I find it really really hard, as soon as I'm alone and it's quite I have at least 10 stuff spinning on endlessly in my head. How do I get it? Or am I just one of those who will never get it?

sxk6x.jpg

abnormaltoy, felis, circles and 5 others like this.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    If you figure it out, let me know.

3. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talk Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    I've been a Buddhist for a long time. Meditation is a great practice. The key word is practice. When you sit down to meditate, you are practicing meditation. There are some excellent books I can recommend you if you want to learn more about it.

4. stratobiker

stratobiker Strat-O-Master

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Yes....it's called guitar playing, or cycling. 5 hours can pass in 5 minutes and you have been there, in the flow, totally focused without a single thought passing.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Playing the guitar does help me tune out all of the static.

6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I think the gist of it is, of course your mind will want to run around. But while you meditate you dont go running around with it. You allow it to do its thing but stay focused enough to try to separate yourself from the " mental activity" and just observe it instead. Maybe do a short stint to get used to it. Just a couple minutes to observe your mind going nuts while you sit quietly.

If you are not your mind, then who are you?

7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Helps on the golf course at times. :D

[​IMG]

8. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Yeah absolutely I didn't start this thread to make fun of meditation, I'm interested.

9. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I imagine that golf can be very zen-like.

abnormaltoy and rcole_sooner like this.

10. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Okay and I know I'm going to sound crazy here but I think I kind of experience that when I take a long shower. Yeah there you go, I'm nuts. Really though, when I stand in the shower and the water is running full blast the sound of the water just helps me block out some of my thoughts and actually helps me seeing something's more clear. We're talking about a 20-30 min shower, that's a lot of mind clearing.

11. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    It almost always is.

Running is my other form of meditation. The determination it takes to run long distances can drowned out everyday problems.
    [​IMG]

abnormaltoy and Monkeyboy like this.

12. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    One of the things I've found useful when helping someone along with their meditation practice is sometimes called the "leaves on a stream" practice. Imagine that you are sitting quietly along a quiet stream, which is much like your mind as you meditate. Thoughts, like leaves periodically float past your view as you do this. You see the leaf, notice it and simply allow it to pass along its way. knowing it comes from some other part of your life you can simply acknowledge it and let it go so you can return to it at another time.

So you sit calmly, letting them float past. Sometimes there are more leaves than others but they all flow past as well, eventually revealing nothing but the quiet stream. This is mindfulness. They may be concerns, but just not for this moment.

It is also good to find things that promote consistency in your practice. Things that help you relax your mind that when repeated over time, automatically allow you to begin narrowing and calming your focus. For some it is the act of lighting incense, or the sound of a meditation bell. For some the recitation of a sutra. Such things often allow people to begin setting aside or dropping external thoughts as practice begins. Focus on relaxing your breathing, noticing it become more even as you watch the stream. Then simply allow the breathing to happen naturally letting even this become part of the flow of the stream.

13. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    If I sit down and relax my head starts nodding and I start drooling shortly after that .........

14. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    It can also be extremely frustrating ......

abnormaltoy likes this.

15. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    As long as the body holds up its pretty healthy for the mind and brain too.

Im not much of a runner, but there is a zone that happens.

abnormaltoy and rcole_sooner like this.

16. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    I've been into various kinds of "spirituality" over the years, since I was 14, that are strong on meditation.
    However, this particular brain seems to be hardwired for busy-ness , so sitting and not-thinking never has
    worked very well. However, things I used to imagine happening in meditation have happened, and lots of
    things I'd never have imagined, but not in meditation. In what might be a form of lucid dreaming, but
    "common" lucid dreaming is just the taking-off point for these indescribable experiences/awarenesses.
    However, it's unusual for my mind to go silent , even when the energy is cranked to 11 (million). Seems
    like the yappity-yap isn't going to go away in this lifetime, so I accept that, and use the mind as a tool
    to do whatever the heck it is I'm doing here, and maybe get some glimpses beyond the veils once in a while.
    The one time it did go totally silent was when I was about 15, and was doing an extreme "meditation"
    technique (not drugs). That white light people have talked about...well, it showed up, like a million (white)
    suns, and the mind did actually shut the F up for a little while . The dreams are a whole other sort
    of multi-faceted thing ....

17. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-Talker

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    Very true. On a bike, trouble starts when you let your mind wander. I have a mantra I repeat "stay inside the ride" when I'm distracted. There are a couple places at either end of an off-road ride where I'd stop and meditate. They were also about where I'd be ready to pass out from O2 deficit, which just adds to the trippy-ness of it all.

18. JimiisGod

JimiisGod Strat-Talker

Aug 25, 2014
    Cal
    Best $ I've ever spent was taking a class in TM, they have schools everywhere, turns out its almost impossible to "turn off" your mind but its pretty easy to get a mantra and repeat, repeat, repeat, go off into a zone and loss a crapload of stess, I've tried to be cheap an do it via internet/youtube etc, never worked, go to TM class=easybreazy

abnormaltoy likes this.

19. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    hi :) .

I would be grateful for hearing about those book recommendations too.

abnormaltoy and montemerrick like this.

20. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talk Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    "Zen mind, beginner's mind" by Suzuki

"Peace is Everybody Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh (everything he writes is gold).

"A path with heart" by jack kornfeld.

These are good to start with.