Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Meditation

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Sep 11, 2017.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Napping doesnt count.

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Cant have one without the other.

3. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I often let my mind run-free as it were, rather than concentrate on clearing it.

Ends up being like a Youtube session, finishing up a million miles from where it started! :D

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    This explains a lot. :D

s5tuart likes this.

5. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Specially some of my lead breaks! :eek:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

6. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2017
    Cleveland
    This is exactly right

7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    You look like a giant in that picture, the trees look miniature like. Cool pic

rcole_sooner likes this.

8. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    My .02

I practice meditation unconnected to any notion of spirituality. Other folks have their various schools of thought on the subject and I'm not making this post to dispute in anyway their spiritual beliefs or practices.

When I meditate, the act of controlled breathing and the mental repetition of a phrase (commonly referred to as Mantra*) slows my heartbeat and lowers my blood pressure (I've checked before and after.)

Rather than thinking about "nothing," my mind begins to slow down (background noise) to the point where in between the inhale and exhale their is a moment where my background noise goes silent -the longer you practice, the easier you can get to this point, but it takes time to get there, and it's typically better in short sessions (5-10 minutes) than longer ones. I've tried to extend my sessions and it isn't there for me yet.

In practice, this works. When I went through a two week period where on top of my underlying issues (PTSD, chronic pain and serious medical stuff) I lost two friends and had to go to two different services in one day. One of those friends was a very unexpected loss (young guy, extremely fit, heart attack in sleep. I knew him before he was born) successful meditation was out of the question.

Several posters have mentioned various physical or mental activities that they count as meditation, and they are are correct as far as it goes. What you do while exercising, playing music etc. is a singular focus that is definitely a cousin to actual meditation but the component that is missing is those silent gaps where the mental background noise is silent while the mind is not singularly focused on a mechanical task - I'd often get into a singular focus while riding my bike at the track or on the mountain at speed, but it's pretty far removed from the moments of mental silence achieved through actual meditation.

There's a very good book on the basics of meditation, Unplug:

https://www.unplugmeditation.com/book/

It's a short easy read. The author is a woman and it's chatty at times, but you can easily skip (and she encourages readers to do so) to the chase. It's a western oriented "I want it now" introduction to the basics of meditation.

If you're inclined to read something written by a long time practitioner of meditation that isn't a dry read, I highly recommend Carlos Santana's autobiography, The Universal Tone:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKS4G2Y/?tag=strattalk05-20

He cops right up front to his nickname, Cosmic Carlos, but his pov on meditation and his spiritual based journey related to his struggles over self and outside forces is a worthwhile read. I don't particularly subscribe to his total program, but the notion of a universal tone is something I've felt for a very long time and can't articulate how this works, except to say that I've felt something awake and in dreams that is directly related to the energy of sound and the pure joy of that consciousness.

* On Mantra, no magic words necessary - My mantra, I'm (inhale) Calm (exhale)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

9. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Ditto.
    When I do a track day totally focused on the car and driving. If your mind meanders then into the wall.

bigbasscat and stratobiker like this.

10. bigbasscat

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    Entry-Apex-Exit is the track mantra.

s5tuart likes this.

11. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Mine is more like wait wait wait wait turn now

montemerrick likes this.

12. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay
    I got started with TM in 1973.

stevierayfan91 and Monkeyboy like this.

13. bigbasscat

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    One of the good things that race school and track days did for me was conditioning my mind away from immediate obsessive self criticism (Dummy! HTF did you miss that?) Most negative reinforcement comes from within ourselves, not others.

if I blew an entry-apex-exit it didn't matter short of crashing or taking some other rider out. My immediate concern was doing the job properly in the next corner and when I lapped through the blown corner I wouldn't make the same mistake.

It's been a very useful lesson,

14. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    There were a few such things floating around back then, eh? . I went with the group that had a guru my age (15-ish at the time).
    1973.... festival at the Astrodome...people hypothesizing about "a thousand years of peace", and whether the 'Dome
    would lift off the ground (and what, do somersaults? :rolleyes:). I ate that stuff up like candy . 20 years later I came to see
    that nobody could do for me anything I couldn't do for myself :cool:

15. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    This discussion is really interesting, as I come from the opposite problem where my mind idles and switches off easily, and so instead of looking to calm it down, I find that I am often looking for stimulation. I've attempted to do meditation before to find out what it's all about, but I just end up falling asleep.

16. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay
    The trick to making meditation work is to begin with an empty head.

I find it works quite well.:D:sneaky::whistling:

The floor is open to the Peanut Gallery. o_O:p

stevierayfan91 likes this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    All right so what's my excuse for not being able to?

18. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    Ok, I'll try that...
    [​IMG]

19. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Because it's beautiful

20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Some people lose their marbles. I, on the other hand, have TOO MANY MARBLES.