Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Meditation

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Sep 11, 2017.

1. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    I've been doing TM for a while now. I find it really helpful, but it's a process, not an end point, not a result. There's no belief or religion to it, although it was evidently started by an Indian guru. You can't force your mind to empty and the harder you "try" the less effective it is. When I first started, I had a few REALLY clear and empty experiences - unfortunately I then turned that kind of result into a goal and I got farther and farther from it. I almost quit because it was more frustration than anything, but then when I didn't do it for several days I somehow really missed it, and then when I started doing it again, it started making more sense to me as a process. Over time, you just start trusting the process more and not worrying about those days your head is full of thoughts. But once you get more comfortable with it, those thoughts aren't directed - you don't consciously pursue a line of thinking, you just let it go where it's gonna go and just sort of watch from an internal distance. And then pretty often, you do find more and more periods when you head just empties and you're kind of in a different place. And then you realize that even when that doesn't happen, you're still in that other place, but with a movie playing in the background (the movie being your random thoughts).

Breathing isn't really part of TM, but it seems to be part of it to me. My mantra just tends to fall into a rhythmic pattern in sync with my breathing and both get deeper and slower over the first few minutes of my meditation. I asked my instructor about this and she basically said if it happens naturally and you have to TRY to make it stop, don't TRY, just stay with the mantra and don't think about the breathing. Let it do what it's gonna do.

My daughters partner once asked me about "how do you turn your head off enough to meditate" - he didn't think he could ever do that. And the obvious answer is you don't have to turn your head off TO meditate - the meditation is the process through which you slow your head down enough that at times it turns almost all the way off. It's not a state you achieve TO meditate, it's a state you SOMETIMES reach theough meditation...

2. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    I've found it useful to actively disassociate from ideas about reality, truth, the G-word, and all that.
    As a way of (always a paradox involved :thumb:) opening up to all possibilities relating to those things.
    To accept that I don't know. To know that "it" isn't what I think, and must be beyond what I am
    capable of thinking, even when I'm thinking "infinite " , "eternal", and as big as I can. The flipside, as
    some have mentioned , is that there's nothing . And everything. That didn't even make sense for
    a long time, but at the same time , thinking it makes sense is kind of like saying I understand quantum
    physics, and quantum physicists say that if you think you understand it, you don't know anything about it.
    So , I find it useful to disengage from my ideas , while also still somehow asking the big questions , always ,
    because it's also like Douglas Adams and the question and the answer. We are the answer ...but what
    was the question ? What are the "right" questions . Oh, and one of my favorite cosmic fortune cookie
    crumbs "you are the universe expressing itself as a single point" .

Among other things ....

bigbasscat and stevierayfan91 like this.

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Thats why I suggested short sessions.

I tried it at work for a minute or two andbut totally worked.

I do have the ability to fall asleep under almost any circumstances so.....gotta keep it short.

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Definitely not goal oriented. Thats ass backwards.

Its the whole "you cant try too hard" thing. Or watching a pot boil thing.

Ive had that real quiet thing and its cool but, its really really short. I agree with you its process like running or cycling.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Hey, that's just more to lose.