Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Mellon Collie and the Infinate Production

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Dadocaster, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Production on this song just knocks me out. The low end is just amazing, to be so thick and distorted yet layered and distinct. The vocals...sheesh.

garyhoos1 and Kayden33 like this.
  2. Dadocaster

3. Dadocaster

4. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    Gotta love The Smashing Pumpkins. My favorite band and I share the same birthday with Billy Corgan :)

But the band sure writes some beautiful and killer material.

Some of my favorites from Mellon Collie (But love the whole album):

5. Dadocaster

Came back to post Porcelina and you already did.

THE PRODUCTION, THOUGH1!!

6. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Mellon collie is a masterpiece... it was always one of my reference albums when checking out hi fi equipment... on a quality stereo the production sounds sublime

Kayden33 likes this.
  7. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    An amazing album with amazing songs. I still today find it funny that it was the bands third album and they were told by their record label not to pull off a double album being that it would be just their third album because it would be a career suicide. But instead became one of the best 90’s albums and taking more awards than any of their other albums lol.

8. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    One of my favorites that is from the Aeroplane Flies High boxset which were songs that didn’t make it on Mellon Collie.

Deep and amazing song.

9. Dadocaster

So fascinated by this subject that I am throwing caution to the wind. Cover me, I'm going in. To gearslutz

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din...

11. Dadocaster

On gearslutz: Hey, anyone have any insights into production on Melon Collie:

reply: The bass is tubby.

OP: Well, I understand what you are saying but it sold 10 million units

reply: 10 million stupid people

12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA

Genre appreciation and production quality may co-exist, but can obviously also mean different things to different people.

Case in point: Much of rap and hip hop is suberbly produced but that still doesn’t stop some people from cringing when they hear it.

That doesn't mean it’s inherently good or bad, but the music (and subject matter) can be perceived as being so mind numbingly redundant and predictable (barring the clever little “hook” that makes it seem sophisticated) that it has the ability to make a certain group want to wretch (although I am occasionally impressed now and again myself).

So, it is possible for something to be both the apex of sonic perfection and a total piece of crap at the same time... imho of course.

That said, I can appreciate anything that is unique, technically challenging, exhibiting variety and is exceptionally well done and I truly think there can be something to like about any genre if you look hard enough and keep an open mind...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    gjohnson441496 likes this.
  13. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    They sure knew how to make records in the 90s without all the crap we "need" today. Guess they focused on making great songs too, not just great productions.

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Rap is easy to produce compared to rock. Take guitars and real drums out of a song and it gets a lot easier.

AxemanVR likes this.
  15. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Ok I know it’s not Mellon collie. But this to me is epic in so many ways. I
    Grabs you by the boo boo, has amazingly layered Big Muffy guitar riffs and excellent dynamics.

Absolutely one of my favorite albums

16. Dadocaster

Was talking about Melon Collie because I figured peeps would be tired of the 10 threads about Siamese Dream. :D

Chont likes this.
  17. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    Mine too

Chont likes this.
  18. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah I hear you. I try to give the other albums love but it’s so hard to let go of Siamese Dream.

I think they’re a great but they’re not my favorite band. But SD is up there as a favorite album.