Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Mesa Boogie discontinuing the 5:25 and 5:50?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by problem-child, Jan 2, 2018.

1. problem-child

problem-child Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    garyhoos1 likes this.

2. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

yeah the Express amps are normally great. I would be all over one again. I ended up selling my 5:25 plus so I could get myself something with a little more girth. so I traded it for a Triple Rec. that was a bit of a mistake in the long run... but whatever. its all good. I wouldnt say no to another express. I really liked the Burn Channel and the clean channel while using the graphic eq

problem-child likes this.

3. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

Jan 14, 2015
    Annapolis
    For what it's worth, I love my 5:50+. Really great amp that provides so many tones it's uncanny.

owenmoney and problem-child like this.

4. problem-child

problem-child Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    yeah I have been very impressed with my 5:25+. The clean channel is really nice. I find myself using it and pedals to get just about anything I can dream of. Sad to see them being discontinued. I wonder what will take their place.

5. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    I been looking at those, just looking! I don't know much about mesa and never touched one but I liked the features on that amp I just don't know what it and mesa's other amps (lonestar, recto etc) sound like and what would fit for me. In the future that is for I have way too many amps right now.

6. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I bought a used 5/25 and it is a wonderfully versatile amp. Sad to hear they are being discontinued. Mine is the original not the plus and it’s a keeper. I too wonder why they are not going to make them. Really great amp for gigs and recording. If I had the extra cash I’d buy another one without hesitation.

7. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    I totally love my 5-50 plus, great amp for all reasons

8. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-Talker

May 2, 2017
    Olathe, KS
    I played a 5:25 while I was looking at a used Mark IV. I went with the Mark IV, but I must say I was very impressed with the 5:25!

9. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    i would guess the Mark Five 25 and 35 are being considered as upgraded in between the express and the big Mark Five, i chose the Express 5-50 plus over the Mark Five because i liked the features better than the Mark Five. i was hoping to get an Express 5-25 plus at some point in the future, but i guess i could do a Mark Five 25 or 35 !

David Garner likes this.

10. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

Sep 22, 2016
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Could it means that the Mark VI is coming?

11. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2012
    NYC
    I use my Mesa Mini Rectifier and the Mark V 25 exclusively and I can get small amp cranked sounds to brutal metal sounds with both, the Mark is tight and compressed while the Recto is smooth and looser with gain. It's just such a versatile setup.

With my Torpedo Reload I can go direct and use any virtual cabinet I like with clean, crunch and high gain and get very convincing Fender, Marshall and everything inbetween IME.

If you have the means to pick up one of these amps and have thought about it I'd say you'll be very happy. Mesa amps are amazingly versatile. I'd never own anything else but vintage Fender amps, and honestly some of the Mesas do it almost as well.

12. muttznmongrelz

muttznmongrelz Strat-Talk Member

I ran across a 1x12 Combo version of the Express 5:50 Plus at Guitar Center last Christmas and really liked it. Almost bought it but couldn't justify the price at the time. I had a meeting in downtown Denver this past Friday and had been seeing a 5:50 Plus Head listed on CL for a few weeks now at what I considered a good price (below what I'm seeing on eBay or Reverb as well as comps on CL) so I stopped by the pawn shop that had it listed, plugged it into a Marshall Special Edition 4x12 and ran it through it's paces to make sure it didn't have any issues whatsoever. As it's a 2015 model it shouldn't/didn't and it looks brand new with nary a scuff or scratch on it.

Hadn't heard about the the pending discontinuation until yesterday. Only had it for a week but it's a damn fine amp in my humble opinion. I’ve liked the 5:50 Plus since the first time I tried it...no qualms at all. Same with the Bogner Shiva. Now if I could just find a deal on a 20th Anniversary Shiva.

Attached Files:

owenmoney likes this.

13. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

My 5:25 1x10 (purchased from another forum member) is my workhorse amp. I gig it, practice with it, play it when I can't turn up my louder amps. They're fantastic. Hopefully they're coming out with something to replace them.

owenmoney likes this.