Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 issue

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by James53646, Jan 1, 2018.

1. James53646

James53646 Strat-Talker

Apr 9, 2012
    Newcastle
    Hi All,

I was looking for a little help with an issue I’m having on my Messa Boogie 5:25 and I was hoping someone one here might be able to help.

I’ve had the amp for a couple of years with no issue until the last fe months. When I turn the amp on there’s a lot of background noise, it comes and goes like as if wind is hitting a microphone.. not a great explanation of the noise but that’s the best way of describing it.

The noise is on all channels and no pot or setting seems to effect it. The volume of the noise doesn’t increase or decrease with the volume knobs.

I thought the most likely cause to be a valve, so I went and replaced the lot as I thought it was probably due anyway, again this has not helped.

Any idea on what could be causing this? I could narrow it down if I could find anything that effected the noise in a way such as a bad pot, but nothing seems the have an affect.

Any help would be appreciated!!

James

2. James53646

James53646 Strat-Talker

Apr 9, 2012
    Newcastle
    Just as a quick add on... I still have the noise when I’ve unplugged my guitar and pedals so the problem is definitely from the amp.

Cheers

3. problem-child

problem-child Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    Did you buy it new? Don't they have a 5 year warranty?

4. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Off the top of my head...worst case...
    Filter caps.

Which isn't good. And if my pessimistic diagnosis is correct, you run the risk of doing damage by continuing to power it up. You might be wise to get it into the hands of a competent tech asap.

Hope I'm wrong.

5. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

6. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I have a 5/25 and so far no worries at all. However, this post gives me a great sense of relief knowing that if there is a problem it will be resolved. Good luck.

7. James53646

James53646 Strat-Talker

Apr 9, 2012
    Newcastle
    The amp was second hand and I’ve had it a few years so I’m guessing the warranty will be out now.

I’m going to take it apart and see if there are any obviously bad caps. Hopefully something will stand out.... I got onto Mesa about the issue, they were good up to a point. They suggested the obvious but wouldn’t give me a schematic or service manual. They did suggest a tech but he’s like 3 hours away.

I’ll give an update once I’ve stripped the fella.

Cheers

James