Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Metallic sound from stock USA Standard Telecaster Pickups

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Cryptical11, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Cryptical11

Cryptical11 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    I have a slight but annoying metallic sound from my stock USA Standard Telecaster Pickups. It sounds great unplugged. What type of Lollar pickups should I get. Will this definitely lick the problem? The guitar has already been set up professionally.

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    No. Its inherent in the sound of a tele.

I actually sold a strat that did that. Its desirable.

But, if you do want to get rid of it roll off treble a little and if that doesnt work, try a tele with hotter pickups, like texas specials. That ought to take care of it.

Groovey likes this.

3. Cryptical11

Mar 26, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for the response. I'm new to teles and want to learn. I just now figured out I like them and have picked up two American Standards this year. The recent one I bought is noticeably less tinny, warmer sounding. By appearance they are basically the same but the tinny one has a nice fatter neck. Why is the tin desirable? Some times I think I'm expecting the guitar to be like a strat and the less tinny one just feels closer to a strat.

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Ive had guitars sound really tinny when the wiring has a cold solder joint, so thats worth checking out.

If its just a slight clank, as compared to your other guitar, thats just one guitar to the next. They are all different.

5. Cryptical11

Mar 26, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    yup. It’s just a slight but unmusical clank.

amstratnut likes this.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Do the American Standard Teles still have bridge pickups without the metal baseplate? I always thought that was a strange economy to make on a guitar that's a long way from being a budget model.

7. Cryptical11

Mar 26, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    I don’t know. The two Teles I have are 1990s /early 2000s and have a metal base plate.