Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Micrphonic 5-way switch

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Tommy Lui, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Tommy Lui

Tommy Lui New Member!

Jan 8, 2019
    Denmark
    The 5-way switch on my customshop strat with Texas specials seems very microphonic. I don't remember if it has always been like that or it's the nature of Texas specials. Loud clicking when I change position... Nothing like that on my second strat with suhr ML and same wiring...

Do I need new 5-way or anybody had the same experience

2. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Try some De-Oxit spray in the switch a good cleaning and lubing might be all it needs...

Robins and Triple Jim like this.
  3. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    The switch isn't microphonic. If you're getting that when switching pickups....it's your pickups. IMO microphonic pickups sound better than those that are potted to death.

4. Tommy Lui

Tommy Lui New Member!

Jan 8, 2019
    Denmark
    That's also what I imagine, the Texas are very open... so maybe if I place a piece of rubber between the switch and the pickguard that would dampen the clicking..

5. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    I doubt it. It's just part of the deal. Listen to some live Roy Buchanan. When he switches to the bridge pickup there an audible click.

6. Tommy Lui

Tommy Lui New Member!

Jan 8, 2019
    Denmark
    I'll let you know when I give a try, thnx for feedback

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Exactly. A switch can't be microphonic, it's microphonic pickups that are transmitting the sound of the switch through the amp.

I realise that fezz & others like microphonic pickups. Personally I don't, & if you don't, getting the pickups wax potted should solve the problem.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Me neither... Microphonic pups are a defect... it interjects a variable that is unpredictable... I'd pot those pups in a heartbeat..

rk

9. Tommy Lui

Tommy Lui New Member!

Jan 8, 2019
    Denmark
    Texas specials are already waxed and since I don't have problem with squealing at high gain, I don't wanna add more wax, afraid it would close the open tone

10. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    In your opinion. Opinions vary. ;)

Then I'd live with it.

Sarnodude and Paperback Rocker like this.
  11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    potting does not add wax.. unless it was never potted, or potted incorrectly.. potting, or more accurately re-potting simply melts the wax already permeating the pickup, and/or fill in where the wax didn't flow at the time of the original potting process.

The wax normally used is a blend of Bee's Wax and Paraffin.. the reason is Bee's Wax never hardens, whereas paraffin does.... if it's just paraffin, it can "crystalize" allowing the wire comprising the coil to vibrate, resulting in the microphonic sound... the addition of the more expensive Bee's Wax prevents that..

if the pup has a base plate, the wax acts as a glue to keep it from resonating too... often guys will get too "rough" while installing a Tele pup and inadvertently pry the baseplate slightly loose... Bingo, Microphonic heaven when that happens..

well if the pickup is designed to be microphonic it's not a defect, but I don't know of any that are intentionally manufactured to be such.. It's not a sonic quality that can be engineered for sonic consistency..

rk

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    circles, AxemanVR and stratman323 like this.
  12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well in that case you'll simply have to learn to live with the microphony.

13. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Ron Ellis, Alan Hamel, Fred Stuart, me....lots of winders intentionally loose scatter-wind and light pot ( no wax, just a dunk in lacquer) to get a certain final product that is subtle in it's microphonic properties. Then there's any on-the-nose replica of a PAF through T-Top humbucker. Un-potted is how they were made the first time. @Vic Interceptor has the last pickup I wound. Maybe he'll chime in here as to how a pickup intentionally designed to be microphonic sounds. :)

Vic Interceptor likes this.
  14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    I have some personal experience with this, so I know it to be true...

I once replaced the metal pickup cover on my 1991 Gibson Les Paul Studio's 489T bridge pickup and noticed some microphonics afterwards, so I tested a theory I had at the time.

After loosening the cover, I pressed it back onto the pickup while plugged into a cranked amp and positioned it in a way where it was "on the verge" of feeding back, but not quite, then soldered it permanently in place... or so I thought...

For a while it worked great! Lively and open with explosive but controlled harmonics - but then something must have changed. Over a period of time the cover must have warped slightly and one day after cranking the gain I was almost mortally wounded with horrifyingly shrill feedback!!!

Needless to say my experiment ultimately failed, but it is true that there can be "good" microphonic feedback - only it just can't be produced consistently, as Ron Kirn so eloquently pointed out...

`

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    Fezz is good at 2 things - pickup making and hiding. How good is he at hiding? So good that I can't find him so I can hold a gun on him till he makes me at least 3 more pickups. Let me tell you something..... We have been told 2 huge lies - #1, Tom Dowd was a great producer and #2, pickups need to be "potted". Like everybody I believed those 2 lies till my EARS were opened by guys who knew what they were talking about. I had never heard of "Fezz Parka" or knew much of anything about pickups other than the drivel SD and Fender and all the TGParrots spew ad nauseam. Fezz didn't sell me on anything, didn't try to brainwash me or anything, he just sent the pickup. I was so unexcited about it, it didn't even get installed for a year (life happens eh?) And then, it was installed.

AND THEN IT HAPPENED....

In all seriousness, that loose scatterwound no wax WTF ever he did or didn't do it pickup RUINED me for every pickup I thought I liked. There's a clarity, and openness, dynamics and it breathes in ways I had never heard a guitar sound before. And I'm no rookie, I've had some stellar vintage iron pass through my hands... Fezz cracked the code. I totally got it after that, and to be honest some days I wish I didnt.

You need to stay with wax potted pickups or big factory stuff unless you are completely OK with going down the rabbit hole of tone. I've never done drugs, but I cant imagine heroin being half as bad as tone chasing once you are exposed to the possibilities of true sonic nirvana. Since I installed that pickup, I have scoured the world (OK, internet, guitar shows and any craigslist ad within driving ditance) in search of the components needed to make TONE. I've succeeded for the most part, that pickup being the first brick of the foundation. Sadly, the neck and middle pickups are not as satisfying, and someday I will get back to searching for a suitable match for the FP made unit in the bridge.

Speaking of bridge - I NEVER EVER EVER played a Strat bridge pickup, it's by far the worst sounding sound the guitar makes. I'm a neck pickup guy, I lived there...... till I heard what a great bridge pickup sounded like, now I'm about 70/30 bridge/neck as far as playing time.

If you have feedback or microphonic issues, look into serious shielding and grounding, that made my Strats very, very quiet.

Sorry for the loooooooooong reply, that pickup does it to me.

16. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Most companies/winders pot the snot out of the pickups they sell. And if you play with a stupid amount of gain, then they really do work in that application.

I don't play with stupid gain....I like the guitar I'm playing to actually stay part of the equation.

Like people always say Les Paul's sound muddy. Does this sound muddy?

Unpotted A5 T-Tops. :)

17. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    and to be finger picked no less.... did you make those or are purchasable? WHY DO YOU TEASE ME??

18. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Interesting. I was never convinced that Tom Dowd was the great producer some people say he is. He produced an English band I used to see quite a bit (Nine Below Zero) & the music press seemed to be hugely impressed by this, because he was (apparently) "a genius". The album sounded very flat & ordinary to me.

I always wondered what it was that I was failing to hear. o_O

19. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You've got me confused.....a producer does not have final say in the 'sound' of the album....only the performance of the artist (and is also responsible for arranging funding for the project)......it's the recording and mix engineers that would be to blame....and maybe the guy who did the mastering too.....

20. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So why would anyone compliment someone on being "a great producer"? What does that mean, to you?