Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Mid range boost

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by brazil66, Jul 20, 2010.

1. brazil66

brazil66 Strat-Talker

Passive with the Villex...or active with the Mid boost kit. Haven't found any sound clips as yet.

Saw mention of Lace Sensor having something in the mid Boost bit...but can't find anything on it.

Experience and or opinions with this sort of thing.?

Thanks.

Michael

2. gcat

gcat Senior Stratmaster

I'm interested as well. EMG has the Afterburner, Lace pickups are commonly used with the Fender (Clapton) mid boost.

3. bluesky636

bluesky636 Strat-O-Master

Passive devices (Villex) cannot boost a signal. All they do is change the resonance point of the pickup. Way overpriced if you ask me. Do a search on You Tube. There are hundreds of clips on Clapton Strats and mid-boosts. If you don't want to go to the trouble (and expense) of installing a Clapton mid-boost, GFS sells this:

"Clapton" style mid boost circuit- Drive your amp!

It provides 10 dB of boost (25 dB for Clapton) and appears simple to install. I am considering getting one in the near future.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bluesky636

Current Clapton Strats use Fender Vintage Noiseless pups.

6. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

I'm in the process of doing a "Blackie" project with the 2008 MIM Strat, I've Bought a set of Lace Sensor Gold PUPS, Schaller Fender Locking Tuners, a Fender Eric Clapton Mid Boost Preamp Kit, and a GFS MIM Trem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. brazil66

brazil66 Strat-Talker

Ya...I'm getting the Lace Sensor pups, but I've never been drawn to the active side of things...don't really went a battery in it. But I'm not Died in the Wool...so I need to Hunt the Tone some more ...zero in. Youtube....tha't a good hint. I'll look there.

8. tacomamc

tacomamc Strat-O-Master

Soooo, what's the resolution on this folks? As a pretty new-to-the-forum member, I have been looking through old threads, and wondered if anybody took the plunge? I too am interested in all the options mentioned here, particularly the less expensive options. Any of you end up installing one of these?

9. bluesky636

Nope. I decided I didn't want my SCNs to sound like humbuckers. I installed the Fender "Greasebucket" tone circuit in my guitar (Don't ask. Do a search. I have a thread about that elsewhere in this formum.) instead and am very happy with the sound.