Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Middle pup lower more quack? Vote here.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by amstratnut, Dec 6, 2017.

Lower middle=more quack

1. Yes quack quack

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No. Thats dumb.

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I see the advice to lower your middle pup for more quack and wonder how it can possibly be true. I have not found this to work. Is this advice from one or two oddballs or is it really a thing?

Please explain if you can.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    It never did anything for me, but then, all my pickups are set low compared to the Fender recommendations. Quack is also a hard thing to define. It's easiest to achieve if you use one of these

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    OK, so in another thread I was asking about replacing the Texas Specials in my American Standard with the original PUPS. I mentioned that my guitar teacher had suggested I leave the middle TS in place as it was the center PUP that gave the quack. On that basis, the lower the centre PUP the less quack?

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Never found it works too well with echo!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

5. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Depends. On my hardtail (<<<avatar guitar) the stock middle has a lot of quack. Sounds really tele-like. Never adjusted pup height since when I got it I didn’t know it mattered and it sounded great as was.

Other guitars various pups (Lace red, hot gold, other single coils) I don’t hear quack (as much with the single coils anyway).

6. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Quack is comb filtering. By adjusting the height of the pickup, you can move that filter around a bit.

That being said, for me, quack is wack. I never really use it. Even Leo himself thought it was a gimmick. :D

carver and amstratnut like this.

7. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    I get quack playing both bridge & middle combined. Bridge tone around 4 & middle tone around 7 and vol around 8.

I don't make much use of it.

8. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    depends on the pickups but generally mine do quack more in most cases when the middle is lowered. Quack is very dependant on highs and lowering it lets the bridge dominate yet still the interaction is there so you don't hear more of a bridge tone, just more of it's top end.

Yves and PCollen like this.

9. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium

Don Mare Quote; "The other trick is - simply lowering the middle pickup to enhance "Quack"

:And there you have it "Quack On!" DM
    "

amstratnut likes this.

10. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I nterestingly enough, I seem to get a more pronounced quack from neck and middle, even though naturally there is less high end.

11. dazco

dazco Strat-Talk Member

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    I'm not saying there has to be a ton of high end. It;s not the high end that makes for quack. It only helps to ENHANCE it. The quack itself comes from phase cancellation between the 2 pickups. If your neck and middle pickups work together better then the middle and bridge then it'll be quackier than the bridge/middle. But high end accentuates it, and with bridge/middle if you have more output from the bridge which itself has more high end, that enhances it. I'm not the only person to say this, i heard john suhr say basically the same thing.

amstratnut likes this.

12. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    fezz parka is again, as usual, right on the money! :D In addition, the trick seems to be to get your bridge pup and neck pup where they work best for your needs/desires and then adjust the middle pup to achieve the level and type of "quack" most pleasing to you. It's a trial and error, to taste kinda thing and kind of a balancing act! One set of pups may require the middle pup higher or lower than another set. Also, to get the best quack in either position 2 or 4, may require a little sacrifice of the other. FWIW, I love and often use the position #2 quack, in just the right places!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

amstratnut and 1980 like this.

13. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Quack is best left to the ducks and some doctors.

14. cjpeck

cjpeck Strat-O-Master

Feb 11, 2011
    Seattle
    spot on. It's a balancing act in the worst way. comb filtering by in phase single coils wired in parallel. You can't just say "lower the middle pickup for more pronounced filtering effect", you have to balance the middle pickup with the neck or bridge pickup. Strength of the magnetic field has a whole heap to do with it and getting both pickups to work together is the trick. Personally I've had a tough time getting higher output pickups to quack how I like. That may just be me though, I don't play high output stuff so there may be a learning curve I haven't climbed. YMMV.
    Oh yeah, picking style and position have something to do with it for me as well. Fingers just in front of the middle pickup accentuates the quack for me.

amstratnut likes this.

15. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Can someone post a video or link to a video demonstrating this strat quack? Would really like to know what it is. TIA.

T Bone Slort likes this.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Set your neck and bridge heights where you want them for other tunes. Find a lower wound middle pickup and/or lower it to the pickguard to have a weakened signal. My quackiest guitar has a 6.5kohm neck and 4.0kohm middle pickup lowered halfway between the neck pickup height and the pickguard, adjusted by ear.

I find that having a neck pickup with the tradtional Strat 'stagger' pattern makes it easier to adjust the middle pickup quack. Middle pickup flat or stagger doesn't seem to enhance.

Humbuckers can quack too if you get serious with them. Drop the pickup to the trim ring/body and raise the screw poles up a lot and put a Strat stagger pattern in them then connect the two bobbins in parallel. Adjust the pickup height until the quack is maximum. I have an HH guitar I did this to the neck pickup with push/pull, down is the screw side single coil and sounds like a Strat clean, up is both coils in parallel for some Quack. It's not as strong a quack as a Strat but it's there and useful.

17. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Position 2 and 4 sounds. Some are very exagerated. Others not so much. Its a sound I like.

18. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    So far its 9 to 4. Not what I was expecting.

I agree you have to adjust for quack, but have not found that lowering middle pup is the key.

Will fiddle some more.

19. cjpeck

cjpeck Strat-O-Master

Feb 11, 2011
    Seattle
    I just went and looked at the 6 strats I currently have. I didn't realize I had 6 now. That's a lot for a guy that doesn't gig strats currently. OOF.

Anyways, on all of them I have set the middle pickup lower than the bridge. The neck pickup is just a little lower than the bridge but well above the middle pickup. no two are alike although they all follow the "rule". Maybe the "lower the middle pickup to get more quack" comes from the great majority of strats having all three pickups set too high. Before anyone goes crazy, that's just my opinion not a well-known fact.. Just go look at all the "my strat sounds funny" type of threads and see how many times "lower your pickups" is in the first handful of responses. Heck, strat pickups are adjustable for a reason (thanks, Leo) go ahead and move 'em up and down and see if you don't end up with more clarity and string to string definition. And more quack.

20. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Makes sense to me. I like the middle to have a little more girth tho, because I end up using it alone more than most.