Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Middle pup lower more quack? Vote here.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by amstratnut, Dec 6, 2017.

Lower middle=more quack

1. Yes quack quack

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No. Thats dumb.

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Borgatomic

Borgatomic Strat-Talk Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Earth
    I have three 1972 gray bottoms all set to Fender recommended heights. I’m not sure what the 9400 on the middle one means. Could be coil turns maybe? Some custom job?

Neck:
    Stamped 1842372 - Undetermined flying animal noises

Middle:
    Hand Written 9400 - QOD Quack (duck) On Demand, based on attack

Bridge:
    Stamped 1843272 -More of a soft Honk (goose) than a quack.

Hope that helps.

I think the real Quacks are responding to the thread.
    Honk, Honk.

The photo shows the pups as they were when I traded an amp for the guitar in the late 70’s.

72pups.jpg

2. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Don't base your findings on one example. Like i said it depends on the pickups and thier output levels and tone. I've had some pickups where i got hardly any no matter where i set them and i've had some HSS strats where i got MORE quack then i have ever gotten with any SSS strat. (tho i did use autosplit)

3. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Listen to the solo break in Nowhere Man (which is 2 guitars in the notched position)or any Brownie or Blackie Clapton. After Midnight etc.

IMO, the most over used and ordinary sound a Strat can make. Yuck. :)

stratobiker and davidKOS like this.

4. Theron

Theron Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Indiana
    I can't comment really, as I've never compared up or down. I always sink my middle pickup almost flush with the pickguard simply because it's in my way otherwise...and I still get a nice "quack" in 2/4.

5. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Those are the better examples!

Quack is over-rated. I only use one setting anyway, the bridge and middle, Neck and middle should be replaced with neck and bridge combo.

fezz parka likes this.

6. omni43

omni43 Strat-Talker

Jan 18, 2015
    Annandale, VA
    Can someone please post a video of this “quack”?

7. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    I use the middle position alone more than 50% of the time so it's way more important than the in between positions which I only use on maybe two songs a night.
    So I don't set the middle pickup low. I set it where it sounds best by itself and balance the other two pickups to it.
    When I do want the in between sounds to sound best I crank the bridge tone wide open.

S Mac

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    stratosdane likes this.

8. stratosdane

stratosdane Strat-O-Master

Mar 27, 2014
    Denmark
    Agree . Treble is a way to get a useful quack.
    I keep the volume knob a bit down using the bridge, middle and neck which also dampen the treble a bit.
    Then when using the neck/mid or bridge/mid, I turn the volume knob all up , so the treble comes up as well, and at the same time makes the quack sound equal the normal sound in volume.

maqcatt and Stratstrangler like this.

9. Stratstrangler

Stratstrangler Strat-Talk Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Upstate NY
    On my '01 American Series, I have its pickups staggered in height with the middle a bit higher than the neck; the bridge, a bit more than the middle. Each pup is at an optimum height for a full and bright tone. Although I don't rely on Strat "quack" too often, it's there when I need it. I also keep lots of treble on the amp and sufficient amp volume (and dont' forget gain).

As Stratosdane (prior post) claims, I too keep my guitar volume back a touch from "10". To accentuate the quack, I roll
    the volume up to ten to get it in positions 2 and 4. Heck! My middle pickup seems to be on the quacky side by itself. I've found it won't get that sound if lowered down. I use that middle pup by itself often. You can different tones from it just by setting your amp's e.q. differently from how you normally set it. Try it.

Stratstrangler