Join Strat-Talk Today

MIJ 50s reissue v MIJ 60s reissue?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JPTwentyTwo, Apr 7, 2019.

1. JPTwentyTwo

JPTwentyTwo Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, I’m really finding it a challenge when it comes to getting some useful info on them.
    The (50s) one which I’m going to try is as below. https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/fender-made-in-japan-traditional-50s-stratocaster-mn-sonic-blue

Loleary likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Canada Strat-Talk Supporter

You'd be VERY surprised!! it's true!! They DO!! People on this forum have bought them and opened them up......I'm looking to find examples of loaded pickguards for sale on ebay/reverb....I've seen them in the past. Will report back....

JPTwentyTwo and Loleary like this.
  3. Loleary

Loleary Strat-Talker

I think the MIJ traditional series only came out last year so there isn't much info on them. Haven't seen anyone disect one yet so who knows what the electronics are like. I'd say not much different from the MIM classic series!

Looks like a nice guitar though the only differences between that and the MIM 50s is the basswood body, 'U' shaped neck and bone nut.

JPTwentyTwo likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

They're ceramic pickups 100% for sure, I'll find an example to show you....

I was wrong about the pots and switch I guess...but NOT the pickups...this is from a Traditional 60s FSR.....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=123335757407

@Loleary

Loleary and JPTwentyTwo like this.
  5. JPTwentyTwo

Meant to ask, vintage appointments aside, any thoughts on the Classic Series v Classic Player in terms of quality? (I was reading a recent thread about this but tbh just got a little confused!)
    I’m not so caught up on the authentic vintage appointments, if the more modern of the two were the better...

6. Guitarmageddon

Quality is the same on both, it just depends what suits you. I wasn't trying to steer you one way or the other I just thought maybe you had your eye on vintage specs like 7.25" fretboard radius and smaller frets, wider spaced bridge, etc...since you came asking about 'reissue' style Fender Japan Strats.....

The price point is pretty much identical with both Classic Series and Classic Player models. One thing to note, the Classic Series will hum in all 5 positions on your guitar......just like an older vintage Strat would.....the Player hum cancels in positions 2 and 4.....

JPTwentyTwo likes this.
  7. JPTwentyTwo

It does look a beauty, the sonic blue looked a little different in the 50s to the packer version from the 60s (and beyond) apparently.
    Looks nice. But £800 nice?

8. Loleary

Loleary Strat-Talker

Ah right that's what I was looking for. Hard to believe they would use ceramic pickups on a guitar so much more expensive than a bullet squier. They're probably better pickups but still. Anyway in that case I'd go MIM classic series. I've played the 50s and 60s and they're great guitars. Can't fault them for the price.

JPTwentyTwo likes this.
  9. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

Looking at the Japanese page, the description says the Classic 50’s strat has “Vintage Single Coil Strat” pickups with staggered pole pieces and alnico pickups.

Only the base model guitars come with ceramic pickups, the three newest MIJ guitar I have came with Texas Specials, USA Vintage, and MIJ Alnico pickups from the factory.

JPTwentyTwo and Loleary like this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

when it says 'vintage style single coil' it means ceramic...trust me....the other ones specifically mention alnico or staggered or USA.....now I'm talking only the last 1-2 years Fender Japan production, not before....

When were your MIJ guitars made and what was their specific model NAME?

I'm not talking about a 'CLASSIC50s" Strat, we're talking about "Traditional 50s" and "Traditional 60s" Strats offered for sale in the UK.

11. JPTwentyTwo

Thanks, I totally appreciate that you weren’t steering me either way!

That’s interesting to know re the hum cancel (though 2 and 4 being the positions I seldom used to use!).

Being much much less sophisticated than you guys, the important details to me are
    1. to have something that sounds the part - with regard to more vintage tones.
    2. It absolutely has to be a light blue of some description!

12. JPTwentyTwo

Surprising but definitely ceramic.
    Thanks.
    I’m definitely starting to think that’s the way to go.
    Random question - would you say the 60s pickups are the hotter of the two?

13. Guitarmageddon

If you're looking at Classic Series Mexico Strats, the 50s and 60s.....and even the 70s....have the exact same pickups.....staggered pole plastic bobbin alnico pickups.....

Now, if you're looking at the Classic PLAYER MExico Strats, the 50s has Fender 57/62 pickups with a RWRP middle, and most players myself agree that the 57/62's pretty much nail the vintage late 50s/early 60s tone.....not everyone would agree, but most would.....

The Classic Player 60s Strat has Fender Custom 69's in it, which are a Hendrix-inspired pickup with LOTS of high end and not much bass....they are brighter sounding.....

Really none of them sound 'hotter' - they are all in the same territory volume wise...just different 'flavours'.....

The 57/62's in the Classic Player 50s are a little more touch responsive and creamier sounding than the plastic bobbin alnico's in the Classic Series Strats.....

The 69's in the Classic Player 60s are a bit more brash and trebly.....with less bass than the other 2 styles of pickup....

All of them use Alnico V magnets....

JPTwentyTwo likes this.
  14. JPTwentyTwo

That’s just precisely the info I needed!

Still in a bit of a quandary.
    But a more enlightened, less confused quandary!

Off to have a ponder.

Thanks again meantime, appreciated.

15. JPTwentyTwo

Update
    I actually went with the MIJ 50s Strat in the end!

I was able to make a really informed decision having looked at loads of info and taking heed of all that yourself Guitarmageddon and everyone else on here had advised me about.

It’s all useful.
    This will not be my only Strat!

Cheers again

Attached Files:

Paulreedsmith and Badstratplayer like this.
  16. Dmac73

Dmac73 Strat-Talker

Would you say the same about the fender Japan model that came out a year or so ago with the race stripe. I was thinking about the LPB one but wasn’t sure about it.

17. Paulreedsmith

Paulreedsmith Strat-Talk Member

Ok so what is your verdict on the guitar? Do you like it? Looks like sonic blue, or maybe even daphne. I see it has the Japan ceramic pickups. Do you like them. I prefer them to the ones in the MIM classics. They are good with alot of gain. Creamy, thick and even, but not vintage at all.

JPTwentyTwo likes this.
  18. Paulreedsmith

Paulreedsmith Strat-Talk Member

The electronics are not good, no. But the fit and finish is great. I´d even say fantastic! Not one of my MIJs are bad. All are great. They are overpriced, and adding new picups might take it over the edge. But if you find a good deal, go for it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 5:19 AM
  19. Guitarmageddon

Yes.

Dmac73 likes this.
  20. JPTwentyTwo

026891EB-CF0D-4E4C-BD41-97E68477C0B3.jpeg
    I do like it thanks!

The U neck is less familiar to me but I’m warming to it.

It’s sonic blue - but 50s sonic blue, which is I think closer to daphne than the much paler 60s sonic blue.

Pickups - Would have liked to have compared it with a MIM classic ideally. Those ceramics sound great though, albeit just through a small but loud amp. I tend to use a decent amount of gain and they sound great. Actually been using the bridge more than anything, has a nice crunch to it.

Needs a set up though.
    And a lighter gauge (just a personal preference).

Paulreedsmith likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.