Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Miking an amp with a focusrite solo? After my efforts, it seems impossible

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by elliotj26, Apr 28, 2018.

1. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    I've seen a ton of info about using this as a line-in interface. I've used it that way myself and it's great.

Unfortunately, I've had tons of trouble using it to mike my amp. I get "hot" clipping no matter what I do, even on very low gain settings. Im using a 5 watt blackstar HT5R combo. It sounds fine, great even, in the room.

What I've tried:

To get the signal to sound less hot: I've tried most reasonable combinations of interface pre-amp, amp gain, DAW gain, amp volume and microphone placement.

Thinking maybe something was broken: I swapped tubes, swapped the speaker to a celestion greenback, tried a different XLR, a different microphone, a different USB, I even bought another brand-new focusrite to test it out and return.

Anyone who is using one of these for miking your amp. What is the secret formula to getting this bad boy to work. I found online info sparse for the solo.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    I just bought a Scarlett 2i2 this week. The only thing I can think to tell you, is to buy a cheap mixer (behringers are like 75 bucks and nice) and you can get a good grip on gain and volume that way.

3. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Were you able to get any usable recordings without the mixer? I'm open to buying a mixer, I'm just curious about your experiences without.

4. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    You don't mention what mic. I have 0 issues recording with a SM57 into a 2i4.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Strat-O-Master

May 17, 2012
    Flew Here On My Dragonfly
    Ok - I imagine you already looked at these two settings, but it can’t hurt to ask ... 1- line/instrument switch set to “line”, and 2- 48v phantom power OFF (unless using a mic that needs phantom power). You should be able to get a clean, non-clipped signal straight into that interface

6. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    I've tried that. I was under the impression that was mostly for the line input and not the XLR input. I have tried the switch briefly with no appreciable effects though. I've kept the phantom power off, yes.

7. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Sorry, I'm using a Sennheiser e609. It has great reviews in most places online for miking amps. Unfortunately, the internet is where I have to get most of my info. I don't have any close friends to geek out about gear with.

edit: the 2i4 has a PAD button. Are you using that when you record?

Paperback Rocker likes this.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    Haven’t even taken it out of the box yet, unfortunately. Probably will try running directly in, first. But I would think with these kind of issues, a mixer is probably the best way to get things under control.

Have used these for years never a failure, great value.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MIjNCctJXd2gIVUrjACh1bJg3dEAQYASABEgJro_D_BwE

elliotj26 likes this.

9. duzie

duzie Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Which version of the Scarlett solo do you have ?
    I think version 2 was updated to avoid clipping.

10. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Let me know what your experience is without the mixer

11. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    2nd gen

duzie likes this.

12. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The interface you have is supposed to have good mic preamps. Putting a mixer in front of it means that the mixer's preamps would have to be good. I can't imagine that they would be better than the focusrite. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K67U52/?tag=strattalk05-20

These gadgets are able to tame Thunderfoot the Stompy Drummer who plays so loud that he clips every input.

simoncroft likes this.

13. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

14. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Going in through channel 1 with an XLR cable....recording with a focusrite....

I usually record a snippet of the kind of guitar I want to play onto my looper. That way i can adust settings and mic position with the guitar still playing. I turn the mic input gain on the focusrite down to zero, then bring it up until I am getting a good ‘green’ signal. Then I go to my DAW and set the channel/track I want to record on.

Never experienced the problem you are getting. Is it clipping on the focusrite input of on the DAW channel strip?

Paperback Rocker and s5tuart like this.

15. Dadocaster

I don't own a looper but that is a FANTASTIC idea for getting the sound right. Holy smokes. I have so much trouble with that and you just suggested an easy solution.

16. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    You might have to educate me a bit. I’m not sure what you mean by DAW channel strip. I’m only able to hear what’s being recorded via my DAW monitoring or playing back the recordings in the DAW. I’m using garage band.

17. Dadocaster

Is the clipping occurring going into the interface, the clipping light blinking at you, or is it OK there and clipping in the DAW?

18. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    I don't get any sort of an indication from the focusrite that the signal is too hot. I dial the interface gain down so it dips into the green but never into orange or red. I have experimented with turning it down all-the-way to zero as well and I still hear the clipping on the recording. I swapped my USB with no luck. Same thing happens with a second brand-new focusrite as well

edit: additionally the DAW doesnt recognize the signal as too hot. Well below the 0 db mark.

19. stratobiker

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    OK....when you are recording, is the ring around the mic input saying green or turning red?
    That would tell us if the mic signal is too hot for the input stage.

20. stratobiker

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Right....just read your last post.