Join Strat-Talk Today

MIM project Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lonn, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Picked this 2000 MIM up tonight for $200. It's been neglected but not abused (other than the poor pickguard). Hasn't been played in years, spongy strings and grimy frets but it still sounded good when I got it home. Cracked it open and it's apparently got a Diamondback humbucker, but the magnets from the single coils have come unglued and were just stuck on the bottom. Never seen that before but an easy fix. Love the color, Midnight Blue, and the neck has just the right amount of patina for me. Just needs a new guard and some elbow grease. This may be my opportunity to try a fret crown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bikerdude2, joe_cpwe, Yves and 4 others like this.
  2. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Every time I see these body routes I get a jonesing for a Strat with P90s.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  3. Lonn

Admin Post
    I'm picking up a PRS SE Soapbar tomorrow. I've never owned a P90 guitar before.

4. CB91710

Me neither. The majority of my playing life, I've gravitated more toward the humbucker-driven "Euro-Metal" styles of the 70s and 80s, as well as more American Metal.
    Caught the blues in the late 90s and really started appreciating some of the things that I missed all my life, but other than wanting a P90 BluesHawk, I never really had the urge to step out to a P90 guitar. I guess I was always under the incorrect impression that they were "just single coils" and the Strat could do anything they could do.

5. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

I like the dark blue. MIM projects are fun. Although my last one? I got that FSR Black MIM strat that resembles the David Gilmour Black strat. Paid around $320 used at a GC in almost mint condition. Later I upgraded the body with a black Highway One I found online for a good price (I much prefer nitro to poly). Then I upgraded the standard MIM ceramic pups with a set of sweet CM Daugherty ‘59 reissue pups (that a friend sold me cheap as part of a Bullet strat he has slapped together). And finally swapped out the neck for a gorgeous Jimmie Vaughn neck someone sold here. So much for my stock MIM strat! At least the neck is still MIM.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Nice find!

Superglue will keep the magnets in place, just do a lot of testing to ensure you've got the polarities right.

I picked up a MIM last summer with frets identical to yours here.

I'm sure you've seen this for leveling frets.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fret-leveling-yer-tele-101.201556/

While you can get a bunch of tools from Stew Mac, that can be spendy.
    Simulated marble door thresholds work pretty good for leveling beams.
    Welding tip cleaner kit for nut slot files, $7.
    Rat files from Harbor Freight for $3 to do the fret crowning.
    Masking tape the fretboard to protect it.

If you want to get serious, look for the Matt Vinson fret leveling jig plans.
    It took my fret leveling job to the next 'level' ;)

7. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I had never owned a P90 guitar before until about 5months sho when i pt this together. The body is a MIM seventes reissue that had the 2 7/32 spaced bridge. I didn't get along with that bridge so I replaced it with a modern bridge. The neck came from, I believe, a Starcaster and I modified it for micro tilt. When ak said and done with the body rolled ti fir the p'ups along with everything else I ended up with this.
    20181016_195854.jpeg
    And I won't go without a P90 guitar again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

8. CB91710

Killer.
    Not too crazy about the proximity of the volume pot to the pickup... I might do that, but with a 2-hole PG with the pots between where they are stock.
    Or maybe rear-routed with 4 pots and a toggle LP style :D

9. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

The nice thing about the pot being located where it is, is that if I bump it it stays where it's set. It does rub the cover a bit and I've thought about trimming it back a bit but I do kind of like it the way it is right now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

10. CB91710

GAS attacks again... Just priced out a body on Warmoth. Back-routed, dual P-90, with TOM bridge, little over $500 for solid black.

11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

That little MIM Strat looks like a nice project and the $200 starting point is a nice place to start.

I didn’t know much about P90’s until last November when I put a set of humbucker sized SD Phat Cat P90’s in my semi hollowbody. That’s it. I doubt I’ll ever swap them out. I’m sold and now I’m looking at getting some soap bars for a Telecaster project.

12. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool find and great color. You will like the P90s..

13. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

I have the same FSR guitar and I added an obsidian wiring blend harness and some 65 era pickups(unknown boutique maker real high quality pups though and amazing sounding the set had a harmonic design vintage in the bridge which is really fat and hits hard). Best strat I've played honestly, at first i didn't like the neck but since I've gotten used to it it plays like a dream.

14. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

Cool. Yeah nothing was wrong with the stock MIM neck I just jumped at the Jimmie Vaughn neck as it has a wonderful satin back and I like the soft V too.

Bighump likes this.
  15. Lonn

Admin Post
    Cleaning up nicely so far. Headed to the shops later for a new pickguard. Back when I first started playing in 2001 this color was everywhere and I hated it! It's been a few years now since I've seen one in person and I gotta my opinion has changed.

[​IMG]

mkgearhead and Morscherszenasi like this.
  16. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

That's some SERIOUS fret wear! I can't play a guitar with divots in the frets, I know you said previously that you don't get that and have no issue yourself....but I play leads and bend all over the neck....it would give me problems....

Nice price though and a steal!!

17. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Lovely color man!!

18. axejock

axejock Strat-O-Master

My only experience with P-90 pickups is that they came "factory installed" in my "minimalist" MIM Jaguar guitar. I've never seen another like it, but for a Jag, it is very simple....tune-o-matic bridge and stop-bar, 2 P-90's, a 3-way switch and a volume and tone switch. and is an incredible guitar to play and the sounds fantastic. It is the only P-90 equipped guitar that I own, and I absolutely love those pups!!

jaguar 1.jpg

CB91710 likes this.
  19. CB91710

How do they compare to the Jazzmaster pickups?
    Looks like currently, Fender only puts P90s on one of the Mustangs.

20. Lonn

Admin Post
    The frets definitely have some wear to them but like you said, doesn't bother me. When I got it home I plugged in to make sure everything worked before ripping it apart. The strings were 5 years old according to the seller and you can see what the frets looked like. The neck plate was so loose it was rattling (nice tight neck pocket)! Even with all that the action was good with no buzzing or fretting out. Thing about a neck like that is, you can tell the guitar was a good player at one time in it's life, crap guitars don't get played that much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.